2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Re: 2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Post by Joeln » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Got 4 bottles of Sombra mezcal.
Now I need the triple sec and lime juice!
sombra2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:20 pm

I reserved my truck last week. Making my layout plan and figuring what big item I might buy (elec assist for trike)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:09 pm

I am also in the middle of researching an elec set-up for one of my trikes....seems the motor/controller/drive is the easy part, the batteries is the $ and study part.....Lemme no what you come up with.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:46 pm

mgb327 wrote:I am also in the middle of researching an elec set-up for one of my trikes....seems the motor/controller/drive is the easy part, the batteries is the $ and study part.....Lemme no what you come up with.
K I will. I looked at the worksman site thinking I should stay in brand but they run around $800...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:34 pm

I ran Lipo batteries on my bike last year. Four 1600Mah/4S wired in series parallel to output 24Vdc. (28V actually) These are the same type of batteries used on Multicoptors/drones. Only these are huge! About the size of a clay brick. They require some learning about using/charging/care of Lipo batts as they are a bit different than lead acid batts and require a different charger, (which adds to the buy in cost a bit, $40-150).

They worked much better than I expected. I figured I would need to charge everyday. But using the motor as an 'Assist' to normal pedaling as most electric bikes are designed, I was able to get four days/nights of riding before needing a charge. So I only charged once during the entire ten days I was there. And I never walked anywhere, but I was everywhere. I even helped FigJam out by towing his ride back from the Playa when his electric scooter had issues. (with FigJam on his scooter) Truth be told, once I had a handle on how long I could use the batts before a charge, I pedaled much less, usually at night while well lubed and lazy.... :mrgreen:

Either way you will be spending a few bucks for the batts. Hard to get around that with batt weight being the largest issue for electric bikes. I can post more info, how I wired things, etc. of this is the way you want to go.

These go on sale from time to time as they are not a high moving product. Only the Big Boys use them on their high dollar aerial rigs carrying 20K+ cameras. I think I grabbed four of them for $200 shipped. Here is a page showing the specs.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-h ... -pack.html

There are a few chargers to choose from and I can help you there too. And you will need access to 'good' 120VAC power for 4-8hrs to charge depending on the charger bought. IE: Honda 1000 or 2000 quiet or equivalent.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:10 am

That looks interesting, and they seem to be less than the 36v batts I had been looking at. What hub drive do you use? I have access to a Honda 1000. Do they go on sale often or do I need to sit back and wait a while?
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?

Raoul
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Over the weekend, I finished designing my playa gifts and turned my attention to actually making them.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:14 am

What hub drive do you use?

I found a 2000 era Currie electric two wheeler. I fried the original working motor during testing (the one in the pic) so I replaced it with a newer version. Which has more umph. :wink:
These pics are how it was bought. I have since painted the battery box to match the bike, added lights/reflectors/blinkies and a collapsible basket on the rear. This is old electric bike tech. Newer bikes have pancake motors.
IMAG1657.jpg
IMAG1654a.jpg
IMAG1648-a.jpg
As far as going on sale, its a hit/miss thing. I would suggest you setup an account on HobbyKing, tag the batts in your want list. They will send updates as things change.
Obviously you will need to solder up a series-parallel harness to get the voltage you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:05 am

Will do on the sign up for batteries....I was going to use a front hub drive, I have several trikes and am not sure yet which one to do first. I have a 1972 Colombia 3 speed that I love for the gears, and a Schwinn Meridian, which is a single speed and heavy. Then an older one like a Desoto, single rear wheel drive, single speed. Couple of unbuilt Chinese jobs, too cheap and flimsy. Thanks for your input, I may want your schematic for your wiring set-up.

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 am

Been learning how to fire spin and my group is hoping to qualify to perform at The Man burn. My first performance with real fire was this past weekend on a frozen lake in Minneapolis. I only caught myself on fire once. Always up for a new challenge!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 am

MGB, you might check Banggood too. Be aware of shipping times!! Here are some more links to read on lipos, chargers & power supplies.

https://oscarliang.com/choose-lipo-batt ... er-supply/ This guy knows his stuff! Don't cheap out on the charger. Cheap ones can over charge batts and shorten their life. With proper use, conditioning & charging, lipo batts can last for years.
Biggest cause of failure are 1) over charging, 2) using too long and going below 3.5V/cell, 3) improper care/damage

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... po-Charger Good read.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html A must read about lipo batts!!!!!

Power supplies can get pricey when you move up to these size batts. Like everything, more power means you can charge faster. If you are still on board after reading all this I can help with converting a Server PS for charging use. (I have a couple on the shelf)

For the record I have this charger. http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-306b.html

... and parallel charging board. http://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-c ... ullet.html Parallel boards need to match the connectors on the batteries you are using. They come in all flavors.

Get a Lipo bag. They make them in variuous sizes. If you get a 'ammo can' be sure it is vented and not sealed!!!
And a batter tester/alarm.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Looking at that battery, it looks to be only 3 pounds....4 would be a 12 pound package. Not so bad. Would a hub drive rated at 24V be OK with the 28V setup you are using? Any suggestion on a hub drive? I am going for a front wheel drive, not sure of the wattage of that motor. Is higher wattage better or more/less efficient? Please excuse my lack of tech knowledge here, I am learning as I go. I want to be fairly sure before I start to buy the parts. I am going to go with these Lipo batts, and the charger you are using looks to be a good unit, since you use it......

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Here are some forums to review and ask questions about pancake motors. (assuming this is what you mean buy 'hub motor') The 'chain drive motor' I used is no longer being made. I am no expert on electric bikes. I too was a newb last year and bought this Currie bike on CL. I had experience with lipo batts from multicoptors, so I had the power supply/charger/batt tester/lipo bags/lipo use experience already.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21

https://electricbike.com/forum/
There are more....

The original motor was 24vdc-450watts. The new one I bought is 24vdc-600watts. More wattage gives you more power. I did notice the power increase when I ran the 600w motor. Me + backpack + six pack cooler is about 250lbs. (+ batts/bike weight) To give you an idea what was being hauled around. The new motor would get me going faster than I could pedal once I got things moving. (the bike has a five speed hub on the pedal side)

I ran four batts in series parallel which is 29.6vdc at discharge. (3.7vdc/cell)
When the batts are at full charge they are at 4.2vdc per cell or 16.8vdc per batt, or 33.6vdc output 2 batts in series.

(the 'parallel' wiring allows for longer run times) I had no issues running this voltage. Some of the E-bike guys even run 48vdc on 24vdc motors. It depends on the motor and ESC, (electronic speed controller) used. Some can handle it, some cannot. You will need to ask this of the mfg or on the forums. Most PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) motors can handle higher voltages. Its just how long you are on the throttle.

For example; fully charged we supply 33.6vdc to the motor, at FULL throttle. Now in real life one would not be at full throttle all the time. (Most bikes have a thumb or twist throttle) So at 25% or 50% we are not supplying the full batt voltage to the motor. Additionally as the batts get used the voltage drops off, which makes sense right? So if you hit the open playa and pin it to the trash fence, you probably will burn up the motor or ESC. This is how I burnt my original motor's ESC I was stress testing to get a feel of the range I would get. I stressed it a tad too much as I lapped the block three times at 95% throttle in 105'f heat. Remember these are 'electric assist' motors. You pedal to get going and pedal a bit as you go.

I was barely half throttle in the city, low traffic. and much less with lots of traffic. Even on the Playa I rarely had it pinned for more than a few seconds at a time. And this was just to get somewhere I wanted to go quickly. It was too fast to actually see anything.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:55 am

Oooh my head hurts with all that mech/tech talk. Going with the worksman set up-it includes all things & battery
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Not really an item 'For" BM, but it sure does make my BM prep and clean up much easier.

An electrical friend of my just ran 275' of underground electricity and water out to the barn. Now I can work on my trailer and BM stuff without having to move/tow it over to the house.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:51 am

A hat/umbrella thing I am going to try to rig up with LEDs for low-wind days and nights.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:19 pm

I got my paper bowls. But the exciting prep is sewing for our event on playa. It going to be glorious. Two sided cloth banners that you stamp with big foam stamps and paint. I've got 50 made. Just another 250 and I'm home free. Well, then there are the stamps to make. Good thing that I like this stuff.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:27 pm

I put a 24V motor on a mountain bike about ten years ago, and researched pretty heavily on a forum that is still running: V is for Voltage. I just tried to log in and am waiting for new password. They have a lot of info there and suggestions on retailers as well. I went for a motor that mounted under and behind the pedals, made by cyclone motors, sold out of san diego. I've never brought the bike to the playa because I felt it would be fouled by the dust in no time. Popular Chinese made hub motors I recall were Golden Motors, and LiPo batteries were out of sight price wise then, not just expensive. Now, a golden motor kit with a lithium battery comes in easily under 800, depending on the voltage. with a trike, cheaper nimh or sla batteries might cut the cost way down. (but, manufacturers support is chancy.) I found a 300 watt 24 volt motor got me to and from work 20 miles round trip with pedal assisting (when I really was a good assistant.) Then a big cost to somebody (maybe your camp already has paid for one) is a generator to charge the battery.

I don't know if I'm coming this year, but I bought a new shade shelter: Kelty Mirada. I looks like a tensioned stake it out and guy it out sort of deal, with good head room, and a small packed size. I like my northpole tipi so so much, but a stealth burn could work with a smaller set up. who knows?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:46 am

Refreshed my Burner Profile, so that I may apply Wednesday the fifteeth of February to the online Low Income Application. Cost $190 + $80, for the ticket and vehicle fee. I'll be bringing my white Limo again. This year I'll be hanging multiple handicapped flags on her. ( I finally dusted off the interior last week.)

On a personal note, the emergency spillway at the Oroville Dam should stop Monday the thirteenth. The powerplant is closed due to debris in the works. The main spillway will still be opened despite its destruction halfway down the slide. Brown water all the way down to the Forebay and Afterbay, but the Feather River is still only at the monitor stage.

:coffee:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:05 am

Elorrum wrote:I put a 24V motor on a mountain bike about ten years ago, and researched pretty heavily on a forum that is still running: V is for Voltage. I just tried to log in and am waiting for new password. They have a lot of info there and suggestions on retailers as well. I went for a motor that mounted under and behind the pedals, made by cyclone motors, sold out of san diego. I've never brought the bike to the playa because I felt it would be fouled by the dust in no time. Popular Chinese made hub motors I recall were Golden Motors, and LiPo batteries were out of sight price wise then, not just expensive. Now, a golden motor kit with a lithium battery comes in easily under 800, depending on the voltage. with a trike, cheaper nimh or sla batteries might cut the cost way down. (but, manufacturers support is chancy.) I found a 300 watt 24 volt motor got me to and from work 20 miles round trip with pedal assisting (when I really was a good assistant.) Then a big cost to somebody (maybe your camp already has paid for one) is a generator to charge the battery.

I don't know if I'm coming this year, but I bought a new shade shelter: Kelty Mirada. I looks like a tensioned stake it out and guy it out sort of deal, with good head room, and a small packed size. I like my northpole tipi so so much, but a stealth burn could work with a smaller set up. who knows?
Leaving more room in your car...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Elorrum, Thanks for the link. Added to my list! :D

Joeln

Post by Joeln » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Got 3 solar panels.
the flexible ones are 17 V open circuit, the big one 22V.
Any reason I can't combine the three into a single charge controller?
solar.jpg

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Joeln wrote:Got 3 solar panels.
solar.jpg
When you parallel power sources of different voltages the one putting out the most voltage does all/most of the work. If the cell output is the same for all individual cells you might be able to rewire the cells in each panel to make it work. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Elorrum wrote:I put a 24V motor on a mountain bike about ten years ago, and researched pretty heavily on a forum that is still running: V is for Voltage. I just tried to log in and am waiting for new password. They have a lot of info there and suggestions on retailers as well. I went for a motor that mounted under and behind the pedals, made by cyclone motors, sold out of san diego. I've never brought the bike to the playa because I felt it would be fouled by the dust in no time. Popular Chinese made hub motors I recall were Golden Motors, and LiPo batteries were out of sight price wise then, not just expensive. Now, a golden motor kit with a lithium battery comes in easily under 800, depending on the voltage. with a trike, cheaper nimh or sla batteries might cut the cost way down. (but, manufacturers support is chancy.) I found a 300 watt 24 volt motor got me to and from work 20 miles round trip with pedal assisting (when I really was a good assistant.) Then a big cost to somebody (maybe your camp already has paid for one) is a generator to charge the battery.

That's really nice, Elorrum!

I love my current sturdy modular shade, but it's crazy heavy and bulky.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Popeye wrote:
Joeln wrote:Got 3 solar panels.
solar.jpg
When you parallel power sources of different voltages the one putting out the most voltage does all/most of the work. If the cell output is the same for all individual cells you might be able to rewire the cells in each panel to make it work. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
And even worse, the panels may fight each other trying to establish the common voltage levels, possibly causing damage.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 am

First item for burning man for 2017, ordered 14" lag screws.

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Are washers and chain links next on the list? :wink:

Joeln

Post by Joeln » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Untangled and checked out 4 strings of fairy lights rescued from trash bags at BM 2015 camp cleanup.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:17 pm

ZigZag wrote:Been learning how to fire spin and my group is hoping to qualify to perform at The Man burn. My first performance with real fire was this past weekend on a frozen lake in Minneapolis. I only caught myself on fire once. Always up for a new challenge!
Nice, where is\was this?

I just pulled into Minneapolis. Will be here through the weekend and hoping there are things to do in the neighborhood for the weekend.

Any recommendations? I'm staying in Hopkins.

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:23 pm

I picked up a real flag pole for my camp flag. Give it a test there, and at the dunes. Both have their fair share of wind. Also picked up a couple of shirts for outfits

Kind of a prep for BM.

I'm prepping for our regional here in AZ., Saguaro Man.
Get to pull everything out since I cleaned it last fall. Build it again, confirm all is well, clean it and pack it for BM.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”