2017 Playa Conditions

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: 2017 Playa Conditions

Post by Token » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Yes I do feel the difference.

I can hang in a hot tub set to 98 all day.

Set it to 100 and I'm out in 5 minutes.

~ 2F can be the difference between nice and uncomfortable.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 am

It was so hot.....
We broke 100° on three different days during event week. High was 103°
It only dropped into the 50's a couple of times. Low for the entire week was 54°.
Humidity was as low as 8% on the hot afternoons.

Remarkable was the lack of winds. While the still air was sometimes oppressive, it made for a much less dusty camp/gear/body/vehicle.
High wind for the week was during the haboob on Tuesday at 34mph.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 am

Was too hot for me this year, I arrived as gates opened, found campsite, which I didn't like because it was on H-Street, far away from everything -- and left at 10:00am . . . glad I left because I went to see sister in Oakland.

My mistake was assuming the lake would make for a good Playa but should have known better: Local BLM Ranger told me it's inches of snow that pack the playa hard and leave deep cracks. Another reason I left was lousy playa surface and last straw was nearby generator.

Not sure if I'll ever go back, didn't like being pushed back to H-Street because I don't belong to a theme camp.

Black Rock City Sprawl. Maybe 70,000+ is too many! :(

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:51 pm

666isMONEY wrote:My mistake was assuming the lake would make for a good Playa but should have known better: Local BLM Ranger told me it's inches of snow that pack the playa hard and leave deep cracks. Another reason I left was lousy playa surface and last straw was nearby generator.
But it was a good playa surface -- except maybe the gate road at the end of the event, and the 9:00 side. I encountered exactly zero dunes the whole event and I could effortlessly glide around the playa without any troubles. Maybe there were deep cracks, but there was so little wind that most of the dust stayed in place, but didn't impact rideablility.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:29 pm

BBadger wrote:
666isMONEY wrote:My mistake was assuming the lake would make for a good Playa but should have known better: Local BLM Ranger told me it's inches of snow that pack the playa hard and leave deep cracks. Another reason I left was lousy playa surface and last straw was nearby generator.
But it was a good playa surface -- except maybe the gate road at the end of the event, and the 9:00 side. I encountered exactly zero dunes the whole event and I could effortlessly glide around the playa without any troubles. Maybe there were deep cracks, but there was so little wind that most of the dust stayed in place, but didn't impact rideablility.
Right, OK for bicycles but as mentioned earlier in this thread, the surface chips would disintegrate into fine dust. I feared all that surface dust, as well as all the inches of dust I saw on the way in would produce epic dust storms. (Apparently not because not much wind?)

Heat was a big deal for me since I'm a day-tripper, getting up before sunrise and going to sleep shortly after sunset.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:39 pm

It was hot as fuck and I didn't experience as much of the burn as I would have liked, but was still glad to be there. Some really great art pieces both old and new, some beautiful nights and sunrises. My girlfriend finished the ultramarathon despite the crazy heat, so she certainly did enough this year and everything else was icing on the cake. My virtually untested design for the new art car drive motor worked perfectly (after some on-playa reprogramming) and it handled 20+ people at a time with no issues all week, so that alone was enough for me to go home happy.

The playa itself was very different, flat yet crunchy. In the camps it rarely decomposed into powdery dust, just fine gravel-sized chunks. We called it kitty litter. I think that was too heavy for most of the breezes to pick up, so airborne dust was pretty rare.

Smoke in the air made some beautiful sunrises...and that was your cue to head home quickly and get in the shade.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:10 pm

666isMONEY wrote:Right, OK for bicycles but as mentioned earlier in this thread, the surface chips would disintegrate into fine dust. I feared all that surface dust, as well as all the inches of dust I saw on the way in would produce epic dust storms. (Apparently not because not much wind?)

Heat was a big deal for me since I'm a day-tripper, getting up before sunrise and going to sleep shortly after sunset.
It was kind of crazy without any wind. An inch-deep layer of dust would cover the surface, but it was light and powdery. As for the heat, yeah, it certainly wasn't a good year for day tripping. A shame, because I've only recently gotten into doing more daytime activities.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:39 pm

666isMONEY wrote:
Not sure if I'll ever go back, didn't like being pushed back to H-Street because I don't belong to a theme camp.

Black Rock City Sprawl. Maybe 70,000+ is too many! :(
I feel your pain. I hit that wall 7 years back when the population hit 50K. Haven't been back since.

Personally, I feel the population sweet spot is 35K. That would put it in 2005 territory.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”