2017 Playa Conditions

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Re: 2017 Playa Conditions

Post by Just_Joe » Sun May 21, 2017 5:36 pm

ygmir wrote: When the snow is off the hills, that water is still percolating downwards to the lowest point, so might provide upward pressure?
Mebbe? I don't see too much snow left just north of here, so if it's going to percolate, it had better get going!

As of this weekend, the margins are drying out nicely. Hard and shiny. I even kicked up a little dust @97mph.
I think the Rendezvous may happen ON PLAYA!

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe » Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Back from the weekend!
I looked over some video and photos of my last few trips. Levels are down biggly. It's receding fast. I noted a pretty good drop from only a week ago. Hot, dry weather is here for good, I think. The spot we camped at was underwater a month or less ago but now is a the nice dry playa we all wish for. I deployed my weather station on a tower and used 18" lag screws to secure it. They hit moisture (not mud) at about 10", but it held the threads as well, if not better than completely dry playa. For those who have an interest in these things.... high wind over the weekend was 22 mph, temps were 46/82 and low humidity during one afternoon was 11.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Joe, Thank you. That was fun watching. Maybe next year. I'm going to look for those footprints leading to the lake.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe » Tue May 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Ratty wrote:Joe, Thank you. That was fun watching. Maybe next year. I'm going to look for those footprints leading to the lake.
Pack a lunch. If there's still water over the 4th of July, there will be millions of them.
Hint.... I have six toes on my left foot.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Joe, your contributions are the best!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue May 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Just_Joe wrote:
Ratty wrote:Joe, Thank you. That was fun watching. Maybe next year. I'm going to look for those footprints leading to the lake.
Pack a lunch. If there's still water over the 4th of July, there will be millions of them.
Joe, how does this compare to an "average" year? I know the Playa becomes a lake in the winter but this seems like a lot of water to get rid of before Aug.

Great videos. Keep em coming.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Tue May 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Yep, continuing to enjoy your videos Joe, thanks!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 am

Just_Joe wrote:

I knew you were royalty!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Post by stephen2u » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Do you know, does burning man have a alternate site if the BLM saids the playa can not be used?

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:20 pm

I believe the area that is surrounded by the trash fence is 7 square miles.
The water is dissipating and evaporating at fairly rapid pace and the snow from the mountains is gone now.
Now, just a short heat spell will hopefully dry the playa to that crackle shiny finish.
It's of course possible that a contingency may be needed, but in years past, there has been a lot of water on the playa and things have always worked out just fine.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:19 pm

It'll be fine. Worst case, we all bring some extra paper towels.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 am

maladroit wrote:It'll be fine. Worst case, we all bring some extra paper towels.
Nah, I'm bringing my ShamWow!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 am

Sham wrote:I believe the area that is surrounded by the trash fence is 7 square miles.
The water is dissipating and evaporating at fairly rapid pace and the snow from the mountains is gone now.
Now, just a short heat spell will hopefully dry the playa to that crackle shiny finish.
It's of course possible that a contingency may be needed, but in years past, there has been a lot of water on the playa and things have always worked out just fine.
I'm no geophysicist, but, my understanding is that it's not just a dry surface. the water table has to be low enough, that the water can't liquefy the material above it, due to vibration. I've experienced it many times with my heavy equipment: you drive and drive, all is well....but, the water below is rising towards the surface as the vibration and motion allow (capillary action?). Then, all of a sudden it "breaks through" and you sink like a rock. This would be my concern. The snow on the mountains may well be gone, but water is still percolating down through the rock and soil, to the lowest point, which, to my guess, is the playa. So I'd imagine there should/would be some sort of test to see how deep the ground is at it's saturation point?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:42 am

Ummmmm.....dig a hole?
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Joeln » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am

Where's Rhino when we need him?
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 am

the water below is rising towards the surface as the vibration and motion allow (capillary action?).
So, no more DubStep? :lol:
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:20 pm

I would never miss a chance to relive a special place in time.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:24 pm

I remember people wallowing in mud pits while stuck on gate road in 2014. That seemed like a terrible way to start the week: coated head to toe in caustic mud.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 pm

maladroit wrote:I remember people wallowing in mud pits while stuck on gate road in 2014. That seemed like a terrible way to start the week: coated head to toe in caustic mud.
I was already in BRC and sleeping in my trailer when I heard a torrential rain pounding the metal roof. The gate was closed and no one was allowed to drive on the playa. There were lots of standing puddles on the playa and people at the gate were detoured in a reverse direction to hang "someplace else".
I think everyone, no matter where they were, had a good time with the unusual circumstances.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Sham wrote:
maladroit wrote:I remember people wallowing in mud pits while stuck on gate road in 2014. That seemed like a terrible way to start the week: coated head to toe in caustic mud.
I was already in BRC and sleeping in my trailer when I heard a torrential rain pounding the metal roof. The gate was closed and no one was allowed to drive on the playa. There were lots of standing puddles on the playa and people at the gate were detoured in a reverse direction to hang "someplace else".
I think everyone, no matter where they were, had a good time with the unusual circumstances.
People still on the pavement were told to head someplace else but anyone still on gate road had to shelter in place. Took 24 hours before the line started moving again. I don't know what they did with people who were in the act of passing through gate at the time, maybe your account above is the answer. Shelter in place before Greeters?

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Sham wrote:
maladroit wrote: I think everyone, no matter where they were, had a good time with the unusual circumstances.
Once the "oh shit, all the THINGS are getting wet" was over, yeah, good time.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:30 pm

I take issue with the good time assessment, though. When you don't have an RV to lounge out the 24 hours watching TV drinking a beer or cooking bacon and eggs, it was quite uncomfortable. No place to sleep in a cramped car, no easy access to the cooking supplies in the trailer, porta potties were full-up within the first 6 hours and could not be serviced, no shade, any attempt to stroll around turning your feet into cement blocks, rain and thunderstorms soak you to the bone if you get out of the car, and a view of BRC city lights so close and yet so far. There was a party atmosphere the first few hours but most people seems thoroughly grumpy about 12 hours in. I walked around with sunscreen and snacks trying to help out, but aside from a dance party after the road had dried, there wasn't all that much good times to be had stuck on gate road through Tuesday.

I just want to make it clear that Burning Man really sucks and nobody should ever go.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:05 am

We were inside during that storm, had the carports up, but passing from one to the other was pretty mucky. We had lugaloo bucket potties, so that was okay. They pretty much want everyone to stay off the wet roads so there are fewer ruts and less dust when it dries.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:25 pm

2014, pulled in to camp around 1:00 AM & I just slept in my van. Around 5:00 AM we were woke up by thunder in the hills & the storn was heading our way. We scrambled to lay our tarps & set up our tents. We were just finishing up when it started pouring. I was able to get a few bins in my tent & a fur blanket. somehow I managed to sleep on top of some bins for a few hours & then went out to our shade structure to watch the show, I will always have plastic bags on my list just in case it rains. The folks walking buy with bags on their feet had no problem although I think they should have stayed put. The ruts sucked that year.

In all I think the rain made us lose at least 1 day of our burn because so many people were trapped outside the gate & not much was set up. I'll be prepared for rain but I'll never wish for it.

Dust? Bring it on!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:47 pm

We, fortunately, had our camp built when the rain came.
Our structures are waterproof and we carpet the public space.

We wound up hosting a neighborhood dance party to rain-themed music during the storm.

So much fun, would do again.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:03 pm

being one of the people to close the entrances and tell people they have to wait or turn around is interesting.......
and explaining, even if it's not raining at the moment, why they can't "just drive in", because they are special and "people are waiting for me"......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

stephen2u
Camp Name: No

Post by stephen2u » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:00 am

Ygmir your right about that, I think the BLM has a ground water level standard for the playa and since the playa is made of the same material for all the playa would be at the same levels throughout the playa, that's why I'm trying to find out where would the alternate site be, and the tickets and nonrefundable , so if there's a alternate site I can start to plan for that scenario

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:28 am

Larry's house
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:05 pm