Precision Cut Plywood

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
aidentrance
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Zerodrome

Precision Cut Plywood

Post by aidentrance » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 am

Some of the coolest projects from temples to the center camp portal entrance have been constructed from intricate pieces of plywood cut by CAD/CAM machinery.

Does anyone have info on where these projects outsource their cutting?

I'm trying to get some projects going that require a lot of puzzle-like pieces cut from 1/4" plywood. Need to determine the most affordable option with a preference to North SF Bay area to Sacramento or San Francisco area.

Suggestions please!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Precision Cut Plywood

Post by maladroit » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 pm

You have some great options! Better to do them sooner rather than later though, as everyone will have the same idea closer to August.

In the SF Bay area specifically, there are several Techshop locations, and I think most of them have a large CNC router. You'd need to sign up for a membership and take the class for the router before you could use it...but way cheaper than buying your own CNC router!

If you really do want to outsource this, I know someone in the Mission that has a CNC router and regularly brings large CNC-cut wooden structures out to the playa, and does commission work. PM me and I can get you in touch.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Also see if there is a MakerSpace in your area.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:42 am

There are makerspace directories as EG mentioned above. Today CNC routers are inexpensive and there are even kits. So you might check community colleges and high schools. There are likely people running a small business out of their garage in the Bay Area - you can search Craigslist>services>skilled trade.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Sorry to be late to the discussion but as you are in the bay area contact TechShop to be able to learn and do it yourself.

Otherwise google CNC routing services or same terms on craigslist.

I could give a dozen shops, including my own, if you were in the San Diego area. But I guarantee there are similar resources in your area. Most small CNC shops have downtime on their machines and many are willing to cut a break to artists and non-profits if time is not of the essence.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”