Jimmy rigging gas station air hose to become a blower?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Jimmy rigging gas station air hose to become a blower?

Postby BBadger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:What the hell does "Jimmy rigging" mean? I'm familiar with "Jerry rigging" but I cannot find a definition for Jimmy rigging.

"Jerry rigging" is wrong too. It's supposed to be "jury rigging" or possibly "jerrybuilt." I have to admit I had to lookup the latter term though (see this).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 pm

This was how I used the iron in the last hotel I was in... and it worked great!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

There needs to be a California law requiring irons in every motel room specifically for that purpose.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Be sure to have about a quart container of white vinegar and a spray bottle...1:10 vinegar to water ratio...playa dust is almost magnetic,..sticks to everything and even a hurricane force blower will not get it all. Vinegar/water does the trick for those hard to get places.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

LukyPhil
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Straya

Postby LukyPhil » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:........... If you have 80 psi truck tires, and the gas station compressor can fill them that much (or maybe a bit more, since you're gonna let it right back out) then it would sort of work. .

Just to clarify what the Captain is saying here; A truck tyre must only ever be inflated in a properly constructed cage by a qualified technician or experience operator to prevent injury from a bead or split rim failure.

If you're thinking of doing it yourself without the proper equipment I suggest watching this video first :lol:

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Perhaps the free service is made inconvenient to exploit, such as the air/water system being sited far away from the attendant so that the customer has to walk a long distance to ask in person to turn the system on. People may just pay the $0.75 or whatever out of convenience. Maybe the "free" air and water doesn't last very long and multiple trips are needed.

Hate to admit it but I'm a little old lady. Nobody asks me to buy anything for free air. A homeless guy in a 1975 Winnebago may not fare so well. I have walked far and repeated the process in order to get all 4 tires.

Hey. Anybody want an old motor home from the 70's? It hasn't run in 10 years but was sound when they parked it.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:21 pm

LukyPhil wrote:
Just to clarify what the Captain is saying here; A truck tyre must only ever be inflated in a properly constructed cage by a qualified technician or experience operator to prevent injury from a bead or split rim failure.

If you're thinking of doing it yourself without the proper equipment I suggest watching this video first :lol:

Don't clarify what I'm saying if you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
Truck tires are inflated while on the truck all the time.
Have you EVER seen ANYONE remove a tire and put it in a cage just to inflate it?
No. You haven't.

You're thinking of seating the bead when mounting a tire to a wheel. And on truck tires, even that is routinely done completely manually, with a big pry bar, then the bead is seated by blasting it with air from a portable tank fitted with a large dump valve. There isn't enough air in the portable tank to make a huge tire explosion. Then you just inflate it as normal, like you and everyone else on earth does.

Eddaytona
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Black Hole Literary Society

Postby Eddaytona » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:28 pm

If you are traveling back to LA on 395, here is a suggestion. When you get to Mojave, the Shell station/Subway store has a do-it-yourself car wash with really high ceiling next door. I stop and use it to rinse off the RV. Why not wash off the engine (carefully)? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't do that or tips on how to do that without screwing things up but sounds much more reasonable than using a blower.
One day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.

LukyPhil
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Straya

Postby LukyPhil » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Don't clarify what I'm saying if you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. .

Just because you're unaware of current industry standards or correct practice for inflating high pressure CV tires is no reason to shoot the messenger.

The sudden depressurisation of a tyre can release a large amount of energy as a percussive shock wave. For tyre assemblies that have split wheels or multi-piece rims these components can become projectiles following a sudden depressurisation. The risk of a tyre burst is particularly high during the first inflation of a tyre after assembly or mounting i.e. components (e.g. the bead) fail to engage properly, or the wheel or rim is not correctly assembled. This initial inflation is often undertaken in a workshop or maintenance area. The percussive shock wave and projectiles generated can damage equipment and be potentially lethal to personnel in the “line of fire”.

Advising somebody to inflate a commercial vehicle tyre to 80psi without a cage or restraint device could result in significant injury.

Frankly Captain I'm surprised by your response .
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace for 2017.

Postby silvergirl70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 am

Strawberry Pop Tarts? I would've gone for chocolate. :D Did you activate the 'Browning' function on the iron?
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:03 am

Me unaware of how things with trucks are done? HAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahah....
I'm the guy who takes care of and operates a small fleet of boom trucks and various industrial and construction machines.
Wrong guy to call out on this.

Good god where to start... SPLIT RIMS? Those went out a long time ago. Most tire shops won't even service them, even 30 years ago. Try to find a rental truck with split rims in the U.S.!!!
It doesn't exist.

Tires are put in cages for BEAD SEATING, not for regular everyday air topping-off like what's being suggested here.
And in the case of truck tires, it's done lying on the ground, without even using enough air to suoport an explosion.
I'll repeat that part again for those of you apparently on drugs. The bead gets seated with a smal air tank that hasn't got enough air in it to support a tire explosion.
The tank isn't connected to the inflator valve it's just pointed in between the tire and wheel. It's never sealed to the wheel and can't blow it up.

The current industry standard is NOT to remove wheels & tires and put them in a cage just to top off the air at a gas station, Mr. Expert.

Do you seriously think industry standard is to take your wheels off and put them in a cage just to top off the air?
I mean, I know marijuana is legal a lot of places now, but the shit you're on isn't and it's pretty bad for you.

Sorry... ranting... it's rather irritating when an unqualified person tries to tell me I don't know about trucks.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 am

Maybe they do it differently in places where they call them "tyres"?
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace for 2017.

Postby silvergirl70 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:51 am

*crickets chirping"

So, while riding my bike yesterday, I got a flat tire. Walked over to a gas station which happened to have a pay per use air compressor ($1 in quarters: I am currently in Florida)..... which had a hose with an air-blower attachment on the end. By squeezing the handle, I could blow out compressed air. It was a let down. Wha wha whaaaa......It was pretty wet. (it IS pretty humid here in S. FL right now). I see that regardless, I will be aborting this hack before it started. But, some colorful conversation ensued, and I definitely learned a thing or two. If I see you on the playa, will offer you all a cold beverage, or a pack of olives, some homemade venison jerky, or a chap stick. I'll be @ station 12 on some nights throughout the week with ESD. :)
Last edited by silvergirl70 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 am

Yeah. When vacationing in fuckulstania I noticed ALL the 5 wheeled vehicles were running split rims. They also had baby beds sitting on the back seat and cassette players. (Total snarkasm.)

I have more than once wanted to inflate a large rubber raft or air mattress at the gas station. I'll try to remember to buy some kind of adaptor before I want it again. I could just hold an old inner tube valve stem up to the nozzle.
Last edited by Ratty on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Joeln » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 am

Jackass wrote:leaf blower.

Collapse first and avoid the rush

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”