Never Been to Burningman...But I want to.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Lindsay4410

Never Been to Burningman...But I want to.

Post by Lindsay4410 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:25 am

:oops:
So yeah. I was searching the net for something interesting to look at and found pictures of this thing you guys all call "Burning man"
I've been reading these sites for a few hours now and I STILL don't get it!
Please forgive me if my questions make your eyes roll out of your heads:

Are you guys hippies?
Artists?

When you say bring water...Do you mean like...700 gallons?
How long are you guys there for?
Where is it, exactly?
I would probably end up going either alone or with one other person to this thing....Will I perish in the desert?
I'm the newbiest noob there is, but I dont want to be. I'm an artist and work with large scale sculptures. I'd love to be a part of this and share my art. I read your pages on Q&A but unfortunately they're things like "what do I do when i'm there?" I want to know "What is this?" in any way that you may be able to help.
Thank you all so much and hopefully I'll see you there :)

-Z-
Why ask 'why' when 'how' is always more interesting?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:48 am

Oh dear, one of the first things in "What is Burning Man" is that it defies description. Like art and obscenity, we knows it when we sees it.

Keep reading the survival guide, the recommended reading, everything, if you keep at it you'll find things like the water formula (x gallons per person per day), and that there's something over 30,00 people there for one week (the exact dates are on th main site too, from page I think). you won't perish alone in the desert unless you are terminally stupid.

As for who "we" are, that's endlessly discussed on the boards. As for "getting it" that's another endless topic of discussion.

I'm not a hippie, but I can't speak for anyone else. Show of hands?

Grab a ticket, find your regional folks and go to local events if you can, read, prepare and read and prepare some more. Ain't nothin' like it, I promise that!

Welcome aboard!

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Never Been to Burningman...But I want to.

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:19 am

Lindsay4410 wrote:Are you guys hippies?
Artists?
When you say bring water...Do you mean like...700 gallons?
How long are you guys there for?
Where is it, exactly?
It's in a desert, on a dry lakebed. It's camping. Toilets are provide, and not much else. Ever camped anywhere?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:08 pm

I tell people it is like your basic country fair, except there is no commerce, it is held in the middle of a corrosive dry lakebed with temperatures that range from below freezing to over 120f, frequent 70mph duststorm with zero visibilty, any rain turns the dust to slick sticky mud, people are dressed up like Dr. Seuss or Mad Max (or naked), you have to bring everything in and take everything out (except your poop), all while trying your best to leave no trace of your presence afterwards. And there are bonus points for style...

Silver 2

Post by Silver 2 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:24 pm

Are you guys (fill in blank)?
In general the answer is yes; you can probably find at least several someones there that fit any label you can come up with. Granted social conseratives and fundies are thin on the ground. We do even get them, they tend to come and deplore our humm, ways. See one of my favorite sites: http://poweredbychrist.homestead.com/BurningMan.html

What you need to bring to survive and live well is covered by about 1,000 posts and lists and barring really bad decisions on your part you won't die or even get minorly damaged. Not saying you will be happy, it is a bit much for some people and I have seen people pack up and leave after a couple of days. BTW, I went alone my first time knowing no one, last year, while I camped away from my friends I did have a large support group scattered around if I needed it (I did not).

"What is this?"
Good question. I read an essay that started something like: "Is Burning Man a ..." and then listed a paragraph's worth of adjectives and nouns that included 'pagan', 'technocrat', 'artist', 'raver', 'orgy' and many many more. The essay included an answer: "Yes". Cruise through the images and through people's writings about Burning Man. Burning Man provides the tools and equipment to make whatever you want out of it.
I like playing with fire.

mUshruem

Post by mUshruem » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:54 am

Silver 2 wrote: See one of my favorite sites: http://poweredbychrist.homestead.com/BurningMan.html
I know I'm posting a little late on this, but...

Wow.. I just love the way that fundie runs the different religions together claiming they are all (and all burners) Lucifer worshipping nightmares, burning a wooden man -because- they can't burn a real one, all the while leaving out the MILLIONS of men and women burned alive by christians in Europe during their fabulously humane witch-hunts.

I know that was off topic for this whole message board, but I felt the -fire- (no devil involved!) trying to escape through my ears when I read that site.
"A believer is a bird in a cage, a freethinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wing." - Robert Ingersoll, Individuality

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:55 am

Wow, an Ingersoll quote in a signature line.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:07 am

Back in my Unitarian Universalist days, our pastor Roger Greeley toured as Ingersoll in a one-man show like Holbrook's "Evening with Mark Twain". (I had to break my ties with them, as I refused to worship The Unit.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:16 am

And instead returned to your previous practice of worshipping your OWN unit?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:04 am

No, I was infiltrating the Unit Aryans- My usual approach was to knock out a guard and steal his uniform, while someone else created a diversion....It's my leg! Go on without me!! It's quiet.....TOO quiet.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Lysergic

yo

Post by Lysergic » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:35 am

hey mushruem that crazy whacked out site is so hilarious. Funny how obsessive, stupid and self-deluded people can be sometimes. <---dying race I hope!
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:16 am

Lindsay4410, may I ask a simple question: Where do you live? The reason I ask is in all likelihood there are burners in your general area with pictures, things still coated with playa dust, etc. It is a helluva lot easier to get prepared and to have at least a basic understanding of what you will be getting yourself into if you actually have a conversation with someone who has already been there. As nice as this forum is, it is all-but-impossible to get a sense of the vibe that is Burning Man from reading a few random posts. And if you live in the Sacramento-Placer County region of California, we will (in one form or another) get together every few months for drinks or a party and discuss all things Burning Man and the world at large.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:25 pm

700 gallons of water: Only if you're doing a major water-based art piece, like a fountain. I get by with 25 gallons and I take a rather extravagant bath at least every other day, cook rice and couscous, run a small solar fountain.

Hippies: Like the man said, you'll find just about every society there. I have a BUNCH of hippies in my personal circle but that's because it's my generation and my general vibe.

How long do we stay out there? Varying lengths of time. Like they said, some people only stay a couple days and fluff out, others stay for upwards a month (mostly DPW and the Org). Most major theme camps stay anywhere from 10-14 days. I generally block out twelve days including to and from travel days, but that's because I'm with a major camp and I go onsite a couple days early to help with infrastructure. Most people stay at least a week, the week of the event and a day after to help with the cleanup and avoid the exodus crunch.

Will you perish in the desert? Only if you do something idiotic and the Law of Averages falls against you. Like if you try to jump on or off a moving mutant vehicle, or you assume "alcohol = hydration." In any case, make friends with the people around you, continually drink water, light yourself at night and you should be alright.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”