Helicopter Insurance

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
cclouatre
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Camp Let's Play Dress Up

Helicopter Insurance

Postby cclouatre » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Last year we were able to purchase helicopter (medivac) insurance for $25. I do not see that option this year. We have contacted American Med Flight who offered the insurance last year and they were by AmeriMed -- but the service is no longer offered. We called. Any ideas as to who we can use this year? Perhaps I call AmeriMed and see if they will offer the same? Burning Man organizers? Any help? Thanks for recommendations.

~Tenderloin

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Re: Helicopter Insurance

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:56 pm

I bought that same insurance last year. I've reached out to them to see if there is any more info. If I learn anything to share I will do so. I do see that they offer an annual membership plan for $45.00, but there are some stipulations in the eligibility about responsibility for deductibles and your own insurance and/or Medicare covering a large percentage of applicable charges, etc.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:03 pm

you can join any member of the alliance (I forget the name) of medivac/air evac companies, and the all partner. I joined Cal-Star. Once you join one, they all work.
Saying that, all air evac companies don't belong, and you can't usually choose who is called.
Another option I remember is AAA. they have a general vacation coverage, IIRC.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Last year, the notice of the company with the medical evacuation aircraft on the playa came in the July 8, 2017 edition of Jack Rabbit Speaks.

The aircraft are stationed 24/7 in a reserved parking place at the Black Rock City Municipal Airport.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Does the chopper arrive on opening day or will he be available before that? If I hurt myself it will be putting up that 1,000 foot, illuminated smilieface structure.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:Last year, the notice of the company with the medical evacuation aircraft on the playa came in the July 8, 2017 edition of Jack Rabbit Speaks.

I think you typoed the year, but nonetheless, I've used whatever company Jack Rabbit pushes for two years ("they're Burners!"...yeah, just like the ticket distributors before TicketFly) and each year, I call them and they WILL NOT email a receipt or policy info.

And yes, they seem to be a company that only does paperwork for you to get the most benefits of insurance you already have.

They said they would be equipped for emailing receipts by 2017...we'll see.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Yup. I typed the wrong date. It should have been 2016 instead of 2017.

I have been a member for the last three years. It is my understanding that what they offer is not an all-inclusive insurance policy. It appears to be a supplemental source to cover emergency evacuation costs that your insurance does not cover. It could be confusing. If you do not have any type of personal insurance, I am not sure what they will cover -- if anything..... even if you are a member?

Some will say that I am way- over insured and I tend to agree, but....: I have Medicare which provides evacuation coverage, for $99 I purchase a travel insurance policy + I spend the $25 to become a member of their evacuation plan.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:24 pm

One won't feel overinsured once they get a bill for a heli ride...

My suggestion to anyone buying a product from any company such as what's being spoken of here, is to not just fill out a web form and pay, but to call them up and ask if they send by mail or email the details of the plan and a receipt for payment. This paperwork should go to your emergency contact.

I was shocked that for two years I got not one piece of paper or email from the company I used with details of the plan, even though I had paid.

After not receiving any acknowledgement of my payment, I sent this in an email to them:

ME: I have no idea the number of Burners enrolling, but I'm sure for many, it is inconceivable that all we have for confirmation is a PayPal receipt.

I can not post their response, because of this:
This communication (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, is confidential, and may contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, or believe you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use this communication or any of the information contained herein. Also please notify sender that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete the copy you received.

Basically, they apologized, but still provided no policy details or a receipt. They said I had a membership, not a policy.

So, make a phone call to whoever.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:44 am

I was pleasantly surprised to find out my insurance covers medevac. Yay Tricare. Thank you all for paying your taxes.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:45 pm

A reply within one working day from American MedFlight:

Thank you for your inquiry! As it happens, summer 2017 is a busy one for American Medflight! We are in the process of being acquired for the second time since last Fall. This second acquisition makes us part of what will likely be the largest air ambulance company in the world. As a result, some of these items are taking a bit longer than I prefer. We are working to finalize all the details of our membership program right now.

Thanks in advance for your patience. I promise we will have some info out in the coming days.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

PlayaPatrol

Postby PlayaPatrol » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 pm

That was almost a month ago. What's the update please?
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Another option: Divers Alert Network.

It's a club thing that provides resources and insurance options to it's members. Specifically designed for the needs of scuba divers, but you don't have to be a diver or purchase dive insurance to become a member. My partner and I pay $55 a year for a family membership and as members we are each covered for up to $100,000 for emergency medical evacuation if we are over 50 miles from home. This includes non-diving injuries and will cover you the rest of the year for your non-BM adventures as well.

edit: I forgot the link https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby Roundabout » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:07 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Another option: Divers Alert Network.

It's a club thing that provides resources and insurance options to it's members. Specifically designed for the needs of scuba divers, but you don't have to be a diver or purchase dive insurance to become a member. My partner and I pay $55 a year for a family membership and as members we are each covered for up to $100,000 for emergency medical evacuation if we are over 50 miles from home. This includes non-diving injuries and will cover you the rest of the year for your non-BM adventures as well.

edit: I forgot the link https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

At age 65, the rate I got quoted on the link was $339.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Roundabout, Click on 'membership'. It''s like joining AAA for towing.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:34 am

You want to be a member of DAN, membership includes medivac. You don't need to purchase their dive or travel insurance.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”