How do you keep medical devices clean/safe?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
panda2323
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Rainbow Oasis

How do you keep medical devices clean/safe?

Post by panda2323 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi there

First time burner here. I'm using two cochlear implants (or technological way for the deaf to hear) and would rather not get them super dirty. They're optional in that I can go without and experience Burning Man deaf, but if possible would like to talk to people, etc.

Anyone (preferably a cochlear implant or hearing aid user) have tips and trips for ways to keep them free of dust?

Thanks!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: How do you keep medical devices clean/safe?

Post by Popeye » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:52 pm

I use hearing aids, in 13 I took new hearing aids to the playa and one was dead when I returned home (under warranty) and the other died after about a month. Turns out there is a small filter inside the hearing aids, after changing the filters one came back and is still working and the other was dead from dust.
Since then I've grown my hair over my ears and had no problems. :lol:
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Hiya, panda - welcome to eplaya and to the burn! I love that you're taking both a proactive "how can I plan ahead of time?" approach and a flexible "if the implants don't work, I'm still game to enjoy!" approach.

If you haven't heard of them, Da Dirty Hands is a camp for burners who are deaf (and, I believe, other folks who communicate with ASL in general). Their BookFace page is here: https://www.facebook.com/DaDirtyHands/ They'll be camped at 5:00 and Esplanade this year. I imagine they would be a great resource for this question.

Also, if you ever find yourself in need of an ASL interpreter (for a medical situation, etc.), any ranger or other volunteer with a radio can connect you to one. In future years, if you find yourself in a volunteering spirit, that might be a role you could play, too!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 am

Awesome Intel, BoyScoutGirl!

Welcome, panda2323! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

panda2323
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Rainbow Oasis

Post by panda2323 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:47 am

Thanks all! Btw, I don't know sign language :( Ill check out that camp though!

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 pm

I know sign language, its easy..... Carry a marker board and some markers. Write on the sign....... :wink:

......... I'mma see myself out....... :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 pm

EGAZ wrote:I know sign language, its easy..... Carry a marker board and some markers. Write on the sign.......
A prominent lamplighter villager is mute as a result of surgery and communicates this way. Totally do-able out there! Make sure to have plenty of dry-erase markers, some sort of eraser, and keep everything clipped together on a carabiner or similar. Last year, this person upgraded to an electronic tablet for written communication, as it has the added benefit of being quick-erasing with a button and there's no need to for markers (just a stylus). If anyone would like further information, you can contact me using the image under my icon on the right and I can get the brand name for you.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:13 am

Moved to Tips and Tricks, as that is a better fit for preparation questions.

I'd guess that keeping the dust off would go a long way to keeping them clean and working. Lightweight cotton headscarves and headwraps may be helpful. Definitely keep them in a plastic bag or container when you are not wearing them. Ears collect dust out there, so bring wipes, a rinse, and swabs for ear care. Not sure if taking them out and tossing them in a plastic bag during whiteouts is feasible. An alpha whiteout can reduce visibility drastically, so removing your ability to hear could be dangerous. That's an extreme condition, but something to consider.

Are they your only set? Do you have crappy old ones to use? Can you get new ones if the dust kills them?

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:46 pm

panda2323 wrote:Thanks all! Btw, I don't know sign language :( Ill check out that camp though!
I imagine you read lips, then? . . . One of my (non-Burner) friends does, but she also uses a notepad. If you write on a notepad at times, to communicate--or just because you'll be writing down addresses, and times, and funny things all week long--bring half a dozen "ultra fine" tip sharpies. Ballpoint pens can't handle the dust for long.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:38 am

Savannah wrote:
panda2323 wrote:Thanks all! Btw, I don't know sign language :( Ill check out that camp though!
I imagine you read lips, then? . . . One of my (non-Burner) friends does, but she also uses a notepad. If you write on a notepad at times, to communicate--or just because you'll be writing down addresses, and times, and funny things all week long--bring half a dozen "ultra fine" tip sharpies. Ballpoint pens can't handle the dust for long.
Some type of written communication may be vital. In a dust storm, we're all wearing masks or bandanas. I had a friend who read lips out there, dust shut down conversations quickly.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 pm

AntiM wrote:
Savannah wrote:
Some type of written communication may be vital. In a dust storm, we're all wearing masks or bandanas. I had a friend who read lips out there, dust shut down conversations quickly.
Oh my God, excellent point! :shock:

I totally didn't think about how long I sometimes sit with my mouth covered, because of storms . . .

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”