Hello! I was wondering what are the thoughts of the veterans on this tent:

https://www.decathlon.nl/p/gezinstent-a ... 38&c=BLAUW

Thank you!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Tent - opinion

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 pm

From the photo the rectangular flap over the vent across from the main door will let dust in. Any mesh vents on a tent should have a zipper all the way around, or be covered with temporary dust seals which are discussed on several eplaya threads.
Maybe search eplaya dust mesh seal tent cover.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:29 pm

If you are buying a tent, do a long hard search to find one where there is no mesh on the ceiling, and all windows can be sealed off from the inside. (don't open them until you are home. If you want fresh air, open the door. Reason being, playa will accumulate in the closed windows...you open them and down it falls. Air circulation in a tent is what you DON'T want.....it breathes on it's own a little so you never feel CO2 poisoned. Until you've been in a heavy duty white out with the tent acting like it's going to collapse, yet very little playa is getting in, it's hard to understand the fuss about a sealed tent....just trust us on this matter....IT SUCKS to have a leaky tent!)

Also, the tent you gave a link to has a lot of guy lines...TOTALLY a pain to have on the playa and usually indicates weaker (and lighter) poles.

Another huge problem with thin little guy ropes is you will, with 100% certaintly, trip on them. Maybe as you lose your' balance, you will decide to save the tent and put your falling body into regaining your balance by forcing your foot forward, trying to power thru the guy rope, which will stress out the tent, possible bending one of the thin aluminum posts, or, just take the fall and all your body weight all the way to the ground...as in a body slam, possibly using a hand to break the fall, which might instead, break your wrist.)

Look for tents that need no guylines, no mesh roof, and closeable windows, such as this very nice Trek 237, the self standing design of which is similar to a time and playa tested Coleman design (for car campers) that unfortunately, 10 years ago, was ruined by introducing a ceiling that is ALL mesh.

trek 237+.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DoctorIknow on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:37 pm

That escalated quickly. She rolled out a sleeping bag and then dude was pulling out a barn.

DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:43 pm

If "she" is the poster NewbieAna, her tent at $150 USD is hardly rolling out a sleeping bag. (to compare, the Trek tent above is $200)

This is the tent she put a link to:

other tent.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:21 pm

The first video I saw skipped a few steps.

This tent still isn't great for keeping out dust.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:44 am

It's hard finding a no-mesh tent, but maybe one with the least amount. I ended up stitching sections of old wool blanket to the mesh and that went a long way toward minimizing the dust sifting in from above. Worked quite well.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Postby Zubeneschamali » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Ana,

The website isn't very detailed and I don't spreken, but I have an opinion which may or may not be of help. I see what they are trying to do there, its two private quarters connected with a coverable common space. There is a benefit to that as you can compartmentalize you activities and/or for multiple people. I can see the attraction to the design.

In theory, it might be a good idea if the private quarters are self contained tents that are covered by a major rainfly; the poles are sturdy and flexible; the fabric is light and semi permeable; windows and doors seal up and have good zippers, a heavy duty floor pan with a raised sill.

From what I can see and at that price point I'd consider it a throw away that probably won't make it off the playa without a semi-catastrophic failure. I'm thinking ripped seam, broken pole, etc, It appears to be a lightweight design from a not well known manufacturer best used for car camping on a short weekend at mild climate. As mentioned before it will probably become a dusty mess and if (???) there is rain, then there is mud. If the tent doesn't have a heavy duty floor you'll have a funk like you've never seen.

Maybe you're putting it under a monkey hut or canopy with walls which would change things , but this is speculation on my part and you're not giving much information to go on.

NewbieAna
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Bang Bang

Postby NewbieAna » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Thank you!! Need to contemplate the dust! Yeah!
But I am more concerned with heat as it has no windows.. thinking of getting a couple of silver heavy duty tarps above, connected to some RVs. Good idea?

DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm

NewbieAna wrote: But I am more concerned with heat as it has no windows..

The real key to lower tent heat is functional shade.

But, back to the open/closed window discussion:

Even though one would think open windows in a tent will lessen the heat, the process to open and close them, most likely disturbing the playa dust hanging in the zipper pockets or on the mesh, bringing playa dust INTO the tent, the slight improvement in temperature doesn't balance out because of the work involved providing negligible benefits.

An open door will bring in a lot of air and let most of the hot air out.

And if one thinks it's the perfect time to open the windows, a common playa experience is HAVING to jump out of the tent and see what is happening on the street....then one gets distracted, drifts off, returns to the tent and there has been a duststorm only on that block.

Just like locking your bike even though you are just going to walk over there for a tattoo stamp, NEVER leave your tent without zipping it up....porta pottie runs might be the exception :D

NewbieAna
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Bang Bang

Postby NewbieAna » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:53 am

OMG! So many comments I haven't seen before! Thank you all so much!
I start getting the feeling that no tent will be perfect. And I'll be a virgin needing a place to rest my head! ;) But the comments made it much more clear what I need to consider!
Will definitely look into the DIY mesh covering!
I'd like a tent where I can stand while dressing and doesn't overheat. Also thought better to take from home than order online and pick up in Reno. Will have a second look here!
Hope to meet you at the playa! :) have a great burn! I'm sooo looking forward!

Kelsier
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Postby Kelsier » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 am

NewbieAna wrote:I'd like a tent where I can stand while dressing and doesn't overheat.

Just note that ANY tent, if you don't have shade, is going to overheat. Even last year, where the weather was very mild, I couldn't go into my shade-less tent for more than a few seconds during the day. After that short amount of time my body felt like the egg on the "this is your brain on drugs" commercial.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

alexgorbatchev
Burning Since: 2013

Postby alexgorbatchev » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 pm

I stayed first year in a tent like that. It turns into an oven around 10am if you don't have hardcore shade over it. By "oven" I mean 2 minutes inside changing cloths results in sweat literally dripping.

My suggested options are:

- Kodiak (http://amzn.to/2tgCqSU) - this still needs shade.
- Shiftpod (http://shiftpod.com/) - may or may not need shade (I'll find out in a month)

desertdweller64
Burning Since: 2013

Postby desertdweller64 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:01 pm

"tent where i can stand that doesn't overheat" - In my opinion I think a springbar tent is the only way to go here. Definitely a bit more pricey than the one you had linked but they last pretty much forever, you can stand up, dust stays out, bomber in the wind, and the canvas is a hell of a lot cooler than synthetic material tent- although some reflective material over the top is a good call- or what a prefer, a little swap cooler unit blowing in there keeps it pretty nice. I just jumped on their site and it looks like they are in stock and have free shipping. check them out http://www.springbarcanvas.com

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”