Cash Money

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
LeonardPotato
Burning Since: 2017

Cash Money

Postby LeonardPotato » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:55 am

Question about cash. How much do you bring to spend at the event?
Ice could be a big expense, but since there is really nothing else to buy.
I am sure there are some "recreational substances" that cash would be needed for...
I am thinking about $150 to be safe.

Thoughts?
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Re: Cash Money

Postby EGAZ » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am

Ice and coffee is all you need it for. Anything else would not be a good life choice. ;) :coffee:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:00 am

I bring about $250 cash for the trip. That would include anything I might need cash for on the way there and back. I spend about $50 or so on ice while I'm there. I like to keep a little extra cash on hand just in case of emergencies. (hookers, blow, bribes.....)
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

Ice - 24 bucks every other day or so.

Coffee at center camp, $4.00 a few times.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 am

You shouldn't be bringing cash into BRC for anything other than ice or coffee.

You actually don't have to bring any as you could just work a shift at center cafe. It isn't well known, but crews do get tipped out for this and it is enough for a few days of ice. Sometimes there is literally free money in center for coffee.

LeonardPotato

Postby LeonardPotato » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 am

spacetime wrote:You shouldn't be bringing cash into BRC for anything other than ice or coffee.

You actually don't have to bring any as you could just work a shift at center cafe. You get tipped out for this and it is enough for a few days of ice. Sometimes there is literally free money in center for coffee.

When is it appropriate to tip at Burning man?
Is it just for the ice and coffee people?

This is something I did not consider.
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 am

Just the coffee people in Center Camp/cafe. Tip the ice people with beers.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Token

Postby Token » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:25 am

Cash cash cash.

You are going to butfark nowhere.

Make sure you have cash on hand when you pull off the main highway and hit tribal territory.

Flat tires happen, you pull over on the soft shoulder, fix your flat and are now stuck - Enter local with a BIG ASS TRUCK who towes you out. Cash lubricates that.

INDIAN TACOS !!!! Best meal you will ever have. Stop on way in and on way out. Cash only.

You spot someone selling that blinky light gizmo with spinners at the Empire store - must have that! Cash.

For everything else other than ice and coffee in center camp, small flasks of good whiskey, pint sized, will go a looooong way as gifts, bribes, shortcuts.

"I don't often go to Burning Man, but when I do, I cut every line with a pint flask of good whiskey".

You have been educamated.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 am

AntiM wrote:Just the coffee people in Center Camp/cafe. Tip the ice people with beers.

Ummm we like cash too

I either donate my tips to local charities (Lovelock/Gerlach) or use it to help buy my ice. :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:58 am

Token's right that outside BRC you may want cash for road problems. I also think we've stopped at a local food along the highway after exodus every year except my first on BxB.

Actually, I recall when BxB used to stop in Gerlach, I picked up an inflatable solar lantern for cheap from a local and I still have that thing. You probably don't want to stop locally on your way in if you can avoid it, but if you did you may want to spend cash there.

I maintain that cash shouldn't be spent on other things in BRC besides arctica and center cafe though. I also usually stuff most my tips into burners without borders buckets and the general tip redistribution pool. The rest goes to arctica and their tips. Frankly, tip outs are kind of like monopoly money out there after all the costs of participation. Because they can only be spent on a few commodities, it creates unique, if temporary, capitalistic restraint. You can help maintain this by doing our best to stick by the de-commodification principal.

I think there is some leeway for on-site payment for pre-agreed upon transactions. For example gas money in exchange for help with hauling equipment. This can be a slippery slope so I think even that is discouraged, and whenever possible business should be handled outside BRC.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:24 pm

LeonardPotato wrote:I am sure there are some "recreational substances" that cash would be needed for...

Thoughts?

And for this - just fucking say NO. Don't do it.

It can ruin your life for fucking ever.

There are so many under cover stings out there ... Cops have UCs running around half naked all looking like regular BM attendees, have cool mutant vehicles and are just itching to bust your ass for whatever reason they can muster.

Cleanse that thought outa your head right now.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Token wrote:
LeonardPotato wrote:Cleanse that thought outa your head right now.

This was my message as well. Don't mess yourself and the event up by being a part of this in any way.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Be careful how you handle and hide the money.

In 2010 I found ten cents near the mant farm
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:19 pm

LeonardPotato wrote:I am sure there are some "recreational substances" that cash would be needed for...

Yes, this will be helpful, though not right away.

It'll help to pay for your $500+ fine, all the stuff ruined by the cops when they pull apart your camp belongings to search for more contraband (they don't help you put them back you know!), and maybe your short stint in jail when the undercover cop dressed as a panda bear supposedly selling cheap pills busts your dumb ass. Hey, maybe they'll even confiscate that cash too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:26 pm

BBadger wrote:

Yes, this will be helpful, though not right away.

It'll help to pay for your $500+ fine, all the stuff ruined by the cops when they pull apart your camp belongings to search for more contraband (they don't help you put them back you know!), and maybe your short stint in jail when the undercover cop dressed as a panda bear supposedly selling cheap pills busts your dumb ass. Hey, maybe they'll even confiscate that cash too.

I would like to echo this.

The odds are decent that someone who tries to sell or trade you something illegal is an undercover cop.

And if you ask to buy, folks may assume *you* are the cop, and be irked.

Just bring a selection of nice alcohol (if you drink) and figure that you may go through three $4 bags of ice at a time for a regular cooler (I like to buy a block and 2 crushed bags every 2 or 3 days).

. . . Plus any automotive cash you deem necessary as outlined by the others.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:50 am

I would suggest to keep enough money with you on the playa (like $20 in smaller bills) for ice and coffee. Leave the rest of your money secured back in your camping area. There will be nothing else to buy (as others have said).

What is being said about buying or selling illegal substances on the playa is NOT being said with a wink. Burning Man is in some ways a training area for law enforcement. They practice entrapments and stings. Keep in mind that BM has a very peaceful and easy going arts crowd, so there is no real threat to police. This makes the drug bust training drills nice and easy.

Do NOT come to buy or sell anything stupid. The best we can do as a group, is to have law enforcement leave the event with very low numbers for busts, fines and so many failed entrapments.

What I've personally seen on the playa is very little illegal drug use. I'm sure it happens, but my feel over the past 15 years is that it may be less than in real cities. The weather conditions are extreme and there is so much to see and do, that spending the week zoned out just doesn't make a lot of sense.

So back to the topic, $20. 8)

LeonardPotato

Postby LeonardPotato » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you all for the replies.
Gives me much to contemplate.

I clearly have no idea what I am getting into and I can't wait to get there!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Everyone else has this covered, but for any doubters, just remember this bit of old playa wisdom: the cops have been going longer than you, they have better costumes than you, their art-car is cooler than yours. They absolutely will bust you. Always keep this in mind.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Jose Wales
Burning Since: 1991
Camp Name: Gypsie

Postby Jose Wales » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:53 pm

i suggest you just bring what you need with you for self medication. if somethin comes yer way, and it will, just ask yourself, what would brian boitano do if he were here right now.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:22 pm

i suggest you just bring what you need with you for self medication.
I suggest you think about how it will look on the evidence table.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 am

Jose Wales wrote:i suggest you just bring what you need with you for self medication. if somethin comes yer way, and it will, just ask yourself, what would brian boitano do if he were here right now.

:lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Postby ACfromSAC » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:51 am

BBadger wrote:

maybe your short stint in jail when the undercover cop dressed as a panda bear supposedly selling cheap pills busts your dumb ass. Hey, maybe they'll even confiscate that cash too.

This. If someone randomly strolls up to you on the playa & offers to sell you anything.... JUST SAY NO. It's a cop.

Sham

Postby Sham » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 am

I've seen some of these undercover people during the day, and they could be the sons and daughters of the police. They look 100% burnerish.
One of these underage young 'uns strolled into our camp several years back and was looking to bum a beer from us in the morning. I offered water, juice and even a soda. He left pissed and moved onto the next camp to see about setting them up. YES, that shit is real and it really happens there.

Keep in mind also that text and voice messages can easily be monitored by law enforcement. With this entire remote city, far removed from civilization, it's excellent practice to zero in on particular people with questionable messages. A perfect and fertile training ground to test GPS and all the other fun tools that LEO's now have in their bag of tricks.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am

Jose Wales wrote:i suggest you just bring what you need with you for self medication. if somethin comes yer way, and it will, just ask yourself, what would brian boitano do if he were here right now.

That's an interesting first post. :lol:
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”