"Tracking" your Burn?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
pedroescobar
Burning Since: I'm not sure

"Tracking" your Burn?

Postby pedroescobar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:40 pm

I found one person has done it in the past but wondering if anyone else has tracked their burn via GPS? I've got a Garmin 935 which can do "UltraTrac" and gets up to 50 hours of GPS tracking on one charge... Figured it might be fun to have a record of the trip without having to carry a GPS with me...

Previous "tracking thread"
viewtopic.php?t=72310

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: "Tracking" your Burn?

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Will it record where I lost my shit? If not, what good is it?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general questions about the event and related projects (stories is intended more for sharing stories, pictures, and video from your experiences at the event).

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 pm

I had my Garmin 60csx with me in my pack last year. Its interesting to see what routes you favor through the week. :coffee:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

rodiponer

Postby rodiponer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:28 pm

Become a Certified Nerd -- get a ham license and use an APRS tracker. $120 on Amazon and a test you can pass with a few hours of cramming. You're track will be immortalized on the tubes, and you'll be sought out, real time, by old school Nerds, cool folk who talk vacuum tubes and make rigging lasers.

pedroescobar

Postby pedroescobar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm giving this a nudge over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general questions about the event and related projects (stories is intended more for sharing stories, pictures, and video from your experiences at the event).

Sorry about that. Realized after I posted that it might be in the wrong spot. I'll be sure to stich the days together and pull a my whole time at BM story once I'm done.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:24 pm

William Keller did background maps for Garmin for many many years.

https://www.wkeller.net/BRC-GPS/

Looks like 2015 may have been the final update and if the golden spike has not moved since, may be accurate.

Send him an email and see what he saiz.

I did this a long time ago with a pair of Rino 120 GMRS/GPS combo units. It was a ton of fun as the two units sent GPS data to each other when you buzzed each other.

MrFortuna
Burning Since: 2016

Postby MrFortuna » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 am

I carry my phone with me (I know, shame on me right?) to use as a GPS tracker. Google location history captured my entire burn. This seems to me the most seamless method of tracking where I spent my time. The path it recorded was very accurate.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:26 am

I've used this skiing and hiking but not considered it for the burn. Partly cause it uses more battery and gives me another reason to fiddle . w the phone. (Which I don't need out there!)

But I saw someone else's output last year I think and it was pretty neat. I am kind of curious about my little Billy's walk around BRC map.

pedroescobar

Postby pedroescobar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:41 pm

Yeah that is why I'm using my garmin watch. It gets about 50 hours of tracking time on a single charge. The only purpose of my phone while out there will be to snap some photos as I have a sealed case. I actually planned on deleting everything off it (facebook/email and so forth) and leaving it in airplane mode the whole time.

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:46 pm

pedroescobar wrote: The only purpose of my phone while out there will be to snap some photos as I have a sealed case.

Be sure to have your name and address on your phone, so when you lose it, it can be returned to you. A little return address sticker works well. 8)

pedroescobar

Postby pedroescobar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:53 pm

It will have both my playa address and real contact info... Just in case... :wink:

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”