Gifts

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Gifts

Post by pedroescobar » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Virgin burner here... my main focus on gifting this year is really full participation and immediacy. But I do want to make sure I have something beyond that to give as well. The practical side of me said rather than making something I would think about something people could use and came up with the idea of chapstick. I can't tell you how many times I lose my chapstick at home and I figured the playa would be no different. Thoughts on giving a nice SPF 30 chapstick as a gift? Is it just going to end up as MOOP?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Gifts

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm over-prepared Camp so I've never run out of chapstick. I would rather run into an ice cold lemonade stand. Seriously, don't worry about material gifts. They are not important. Just lend a hand as needed. Without being asked is good. Go to the V-Spot and pick up a shift in some department. The Volunteer Resource Team will direct you. Being part of the community is the best gift.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Chapsticks are nice, but it's one those things that maybe you can gift if someone really needs it, not just feel compelled to give them out at every chance because you bought a 50-pack or something. Usually the thoughtful, when-I-need-it gifts are the best.

As much as people like to prattle on about "oh what did YOU bring to share with everyone else?!" often the best gift is to make sure you have your own house in order (LNT, foot/water, lights, all the things). Then just bring yourself and be a thoughtful person ready to help out when there is a chance.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Ratty wrote:I'm over-prepared Camp so I've never run out of chapstick. I would rather run into an ice cold lemonade stand.
You just inspired me to make a deep Playa lemonade BEER stand. Great idea.

Thanks Ratty!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:01 pm

BBadger wrote:Chapsticks are nice, but it's one those things that maybe you can gift if someone really needs it, not just feel compelled to give them out at every chance because you bought a 50-pack or something. Usually the thoughtful, when-I-need-it gifts are the best.

As much as people like to prattle on about "oh what did YOU bring to share with everyone else?!" often the best gift is to make sure you have your own house in order (LNT, foot/water, lights, all the things). Then just bring yourself and be a thoughtful person ready to help out when there is a chance.

Yep... Hence my full participation being key. I will be arriving a bit early (24th) to help with the last of my camp’s build and offering as much support during the week as I can. It is also why I am not camping with my brother so I can have my own program and adventures.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:48 pm

pedroescobar wrote:
BBadger wrote:Chapsticks are nice, but it's one those things that maybe you can gift if someone really needs it, not just feel compelled to give them out at every chance because you bought a 50-pack or something. Usually the thoughtful, when-I-need-it gifts are the best.

Yep... Hence my full participation being key. I will be arriving a bit early (24th) to help with the last of my camp’s build and offering as much support during the week as I can. It is also why I am not camping with my brother so I can have my own program and adventures.
Yer doing it RIGHT, Pedro!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Yes, yes, yes.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:42 am

** is a brand name of lip balm manufactured by ** and used in many countries worldwide.

Ah, it is about lip balm silly hermitlike decommodified me.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 am

There are four universal gifts on playa that are always welcome.

In sealed, original containers only.

Whiskey
Bourbon
Aged Rum
PBR

Everything else ends up being moop or bottom of the bin lint.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am

Token wrote:There are four universal gifts on playa that are always welcome.

In sealed, original containers only.

Whiskey
Bourbon
Aged Rum
PBR

Everything else ends up being moop or bottom of the bin lint.
Thankfully I will be bringing an untold number of cases of Rainier Beer which is infinitely better than PBR... (sacrilege I know)

Token

Post by Token » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:55 am

Ah young grasshopper, you will learn the way of the playa.

PBR is a most disgusting piss-swill of a brew that under normal circumstances is good for target practice and beer-baseball.

But, on the Playa, it magically transforms into a delicious beverage.

Lots of folks will not drink a proper ale or lager out there. Too heavy for the heat and dehydration.

"Listen to your body" is a good skill to develop.

A crisp brew like a kolsch, steam or quality wit (not the American blue moon crap) is magical.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am

pedroescobar wrote:
Thankfully I will be bringing an untold number of cases of Rainier Beer which is infinitely better than PBR... (sacrilege I know)
You are aware that Rainier is brewed by Pabst Brewing, right? Same as PBR.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Canned Sapporo is my favorite playa beer, for sentimental and tasty reasons.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Token wrote:
pedroescobar wrote:
You are aware that Rainier is brewed by Pabst Brewing, right? Same as PBR.
Very aware, but they are far from and will never be the same. And yes a proper beer will never work on the playa.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am

Ah! Grasshopper challenges the ancient wisdom! The glove has been thrown, so now the duel must begin.

Pedro: you must bring 30 cases of each beer, refrigerate to a well-chilled state and allow passersby to sample each. Note the responses and publish the results.

Its in keeping with the scientific method, after all... :)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”