EPlaya "Dos" and "Don'ts"

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Ranger Genius

EPlaya "Dos" and "Don'ts"

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:16 pm

Don Muerto wrote:an area designed to show examples of inappropriate posting.
Sounds like a capital idea to me.

Use this thread to show examples of poor posting etiquette, and to discuss better ways to resolve social issues that cause and are caused by them. Please do not attribute quotes when posting them, and edit them for brevity, clarity, and charity.

Also, please do not turn this thread into a flame war, as hopefully we are all interested in finding more effective and community-building ways of communicating and resolving disputes or personality conflicts.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:33 pm

The eplaya feedback forum, specifically "case studies", was set up for this sort of thing, as well as the sticky FAQ thread at the top of the Q&A forum.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:34 pm

Neither the FAQ nor the case studies thread is about board etiquette. Besides which, new users are not going to see nor will they understand the context of the contents of the latter thread. Since the Q&A section is the one most new users will probably visit first and most often for a while, I thought it might be appropriate to have a few etiquette lessons taught here. But if the board doesn't feel that's necessary, then we can just let this thread die and be buried.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

geekster

Don't do this

Post by geekster » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:42 pm

:lol:
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:11 pm

Thank you, Geekster. That's a fine example of poor posting etiquette: a post containing only an emoticon is a waste of space, and only interrupts the flow of conversation.

DVD Burner
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:51 pm

Eplaya is not on Dos, it's running on linux under php.

Wait a minute we talked about this already.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Kristines

Re: EPlaya "Dos" and "Don'ts"

Post by Kristines » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:11 pm

it doesn't matter who wrote:an area designed to show examples of inappropriate posting.
My opinion follows. May not be politically correct or even appropriate, but oh well.

"Appropriate" and "inappropriate" are judgments that have very different meanings in every possible context. I can't even imagine having a written-down set of rules of what is "appropriate," nor do I see it as being useful except by people who have a huge need to control how things are said, when and by whom. Isn't the playa a place of inclusion, not exclusion?

Think of eplaya forums as little conference rooms filled with talking people. Sure, someone could come in and start screaming about something off-topic with obnoxious cursing or whatever it is that makes his/her words "inappropriate" for that room.

Should the management of the conference room center be summoned to discipline the person? Should everyone be forced to read, initial and sign a document saying they knew the rules before they came here? Or could the community just say "Hey, we're talking in here, take that over to the FUCK thread!" or "It might make more sense to take that rant over to the thread on xxyyzz because they can actually help you with it."

Or even: "Boy, you sound really upset about something that doesn't have anything to do with what's going on here. Can I help you in some way? Send me a PM!" Or you could say: "That posting was inappropriate and off topic. Get out of here." One would be the playa way, one would not -- right?

And what if someone brutalizes another in writing? Really hurts that person? Then the brutalizer should probably be chastised, but more importantly the person hurt could be supported and enveloped in love that makes the brute irrelevant.

I think the best enforcement of someone being inappropriate would be to ignore that person's posting, just go on with the day.

I've heard disparaging remarks about people who go to Burning Man for the "wrong reasons," like just to party and dance and whoop it up. But maybe that's the reason they went, what they wanted, what they asked for, what they got -- or didn't get.

It isn't the community's responsibility to make sure everyone gets the "right things" out of BM. Maybe someone doesn't WANT the same experience as you. So what? You can invite, cajole, beg people to participate in ways you find "correct" or "appropriate" but you can't force it, nor can I envision a fair way to enforce rules like that! Do I only get punished if someone complains that I'm being inappropriate? What if I am inappropriate in my own tent, am I obliged to go tell you that I was?

Sure, the group can charge an entry fee and insist on cleanup, insist that no one abuse another, touch them without permission, destroy property or certain other black/white rules. But everything else is gray!

The same is true online. Since the first days of BBSs, folks have been concerned, upset and provoked by flame wars. Communities falter and dissolve over online arguments sometimes. People come and go from groups because of it. But the strength of an online community remains with the people who post in it, not the people who set up the software to run the darn thing.

You might define this as an "inappropriate" post because I disagree about setting down rules of appropriateness. I just think that idea is laudable in its desire to keep things neat and clean. But in reality, that's not life, it's not the way things work and it comes down to being silly and uneforcable. I mean, what happens if I'm inappropriate? I guess I'll find out ...

Kristine

DVD Burner
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:19 pm

Beautiful.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:26 pm

You'll notice that I didn't use the word appropriate when I started this thread, but altered that intention slightly, to make it a place for etiquette lessons. Some people who are new to BBS systems, or even specifically to this board, may benefit from lessons on what kind of behaviors are considered to be rude. If they choose to then ignore those lessons, so be it, and they can hopefully be dealt with or re-educated throughout the rest of the board, or ignored if need be.

I point to the user JC as a shining example. He joined the board, and made a cross-post (generally considered rude) with a question about lighting art. Even though the responses he got about his tactic, from myself included, were not entirely as polite as they could have been, he took the lesson and apologized, and consolidated the conversation to one thread. He even thanked us for the etiquette tips we gave him.

We don't even need to give specific quotations of poor posting etiquette here, just role-playing type posts would be perfectly informative as well.

A reasoned, polite response can never be inappropriate, no matter what the opinions expressed therein, by the way. Do you understand what I'm saying here? This wasn't meant as a place to put up examples of "bad" posts, as my previous language, admittedly, may have implied. Though a B.P.O.T.D. thread might be fun.

This was just meant as a place to teach etiquette lessons, or to discuss etiquette issues.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

sort of agree

Post by swampdog » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:39 pm

as a frequent reader/occasional poster on eplaya, I sort of agree with Genius's proposal. How many times have I seen an ignorant question that could have been answered by a little research replied to more or less gently, followed by pages of "you bastard, why the hell did you jump all over me I was just asking a question". Back and forth. Ad nauseam. On the other hand (did I ever tell you I'm a libra?) there are resources already available like the Q&A Forum Etiquette blurb, that don't seem to be doing the trick. Maybe we could work out a "standard"* plonk that the regulars here could use: "This question has been answered many times. Please use the following sources of information - first timers guide, query eplaya, Q&A Forum Ettiquette. Have a nice burn"

*I know, "standard" is so non-burny. So burn me.

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Or could the community just say "Hey, we're talking in here, take that over to the FUCK thread!" or "It might make more sense to take that rant over to the thread on xxyyzz because they can actually help you with it."
What if there are a handful of individuals who have been repeatedly asked to modify their behavior or leave the room, who just keep terrorizing the other guests enjoying themselves at the party?

Lysergic

yo

Post by Lysergic » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:00 am

Don't Ask.
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:14 am

That wasn't really a hypothetical question.

Kristines

Post by Kristines » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:56 am

Tiara wrote: What if there are a handful of individuals who have been repeatedly asked to modify their behavior or leave the room, who just keep terrorizing the other guests enjoying themselves at the party?
Shoot 'em?

Yeah, this is a situation that occurs in every oneline community at one time or another. All these inappropriate things (or things with poor etiquette) do. In a paid community, I'd say the person learns to live by the rules of the paid site or doesn't get access. In a site where "radical inclusion" is the key word, we'll have to be more creative ...

Smother 'em with love? Find out why they're acting this way? Harder than shooting.

Kristine

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:06 am

Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:28 am

That bastard Goofus. I followed his advice, and now I'm failing Earth Lab!

jimbobby

Post by jimbobby » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:09 pm

have to be more creative ...
oooooh let me let me

I am fuggin mad creative
<oh my gawd!>

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”