Playa Foot - instead of vinegar...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
VinceH
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Playa Foot - instead of vinegar...

Post by VinceH » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 am

Instead of vinegar to prevent playa foot, why not us Citric Acid. It has about the same pH profile, and it's a solid, can be diluted as needed. Get it at Amazon or a local grocery store. And it doesn't stink. :-)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Playa Foot - instead of vinegar...

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:25 am

Stink? It reminds me of fun Easter egg hunts. Sunrise service on wet, cold folding chairs. Teeth chattering and wishing we could move on to the pot roast and family fun. Hmmmm. Citric acid eh?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:27 am

i dont know...

ive heard people say when they get lime juice on their skin and out in the sun it can burn, would this have a similar effect or no?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Lemon juice is weaker/less acidic than lime juice. Folks commonly burn their hands or mouths with lime juice while making mixed drinks in the sun.

I've used lemon juice successfully with a spray bottle and a saturated wipe--for my feet--without burning my skin. (Lotion always follows.) There are those who use it in home situations as well; hopefully carefully. However, at a Burn, one wouldn't want to use it on commonly exposed/sun-burnable areas, like the face, or on broken or irritated or highly sensitive skin. Citric oils can make people more susceptible to sunburn.

Interestingly enough, vinegar can burn, too (google vinegar burns) but having playa dust on your skin probably gives it something to work against, and that final layer of lotion probably helps too.

. . . Lemon smells better than vinegar, but vinegar is cheaper.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

strangeloop
Camp Name: Arrakis Spice Market

Post by strangeloop » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:14 pm

I buy 2 48oz containers of lemon juice. It solves SO MANY problems on the playa. Cuts through playa dust and is very refreshing.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Those people say mustard is the new vinegar.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Zubeneschamali wrote:Those people say mustard is the new vinegar.
Brown or yellow? I see it staining my socks and I'll be craving brats the whole burn. Besides, I'm from Wisconsin so I would have to put grilled onions on my feet too. Can't have one without the other.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Plain mustard works well, but if you get a stone ground mustard it also has a lovely exfoliating effect as you rub it in. Really soothing!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Playa foot is not necessarily due to the alkalinity of the Playa. That is a bit of Playa Chicken pseudoscience. The PH is like that of soap.

Playa is a desiccant. That is what ravages the foot in susceptible populations.

Keeping hygiene up and moisturizing the feet before bed is just as effective.

But the burner masses want to be special with their fish-n-chips-feet. Go figure.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Token wrote:Playa foot is not necessarily due to the alkalinity of the Playa. That is a bit of Playa Chicken pseudoscience. The PH is like that of soap.

So much this. I walk around barefoot in the cool of the morning and wear loose slippers without socks most days - I've never had problems with my feet (and I'm usually too lazy to moisturize at night). My hands however ... different story. Every year I end up with fucked-up cuticles, even with all my tricks (liquid bandaid or super glue over them, moisturizing, etc). Plan for the worst, hope for the best. As always.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:21 pm

To be clear: in 2015 I took some test solution to the playa. Adding a few tablespoons of playa to a 200 ml beaker of distilled water gave a pH of 10.8. Thats way, way up there. It isnt exactly oven cleaner, but worthy of deep respect. So the pH is indeed a factor.

But I do agree it is the dessicant properties of the dust that are the most damaging. Hands down, this is the primary mechanism that produces damage. The pH is a nuisance in the short term, but that damn dessicant... oy fucking vey.

Citric acid works. Any acid works. In fact, I have used hydrochloric acid instead of vinegar because its odorless and a simple acid. Easy to dispose of. Yes, some "expert" is going to come along and decry this, and I will get to laugh at him and compare degrees and size of our dicks, but the simple fact is almost ANY acid can be used to neutralize playa dust. Take your pick: phosphoric, hydrochloric, boric, sulfuric, nitric.... pick one. Doesnt much matter. Dilute it. Apply it. Say "ahhhh". Done.

The only reason people use vinegar (dilute acetic acid) is its pretty idiot proof. Its highly diluted (6%), readily available, and WOW! you can pour your stinking footbath over lettuce with oil and call it a salad. And all the Woo-crowd will cheer because its seen as "natural" and "organic" and "healthy". Yeah... well... whatever. :)

Successful skin care on the playa really comes down to two things: neutralization of the attackers and hydration of the skin. These concepts are key. Neutralize the high pH playa dust with a weak acid, rinse well, and help the skin regain and retain moisture with your choice of an emolient.

This is simple stuff, basic chemistry, that will absolutely save yer ass if you are susceptible to the dust.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 pm

GreyCoyote wrote: the simple fact is almost ANY acid can be used to neutralize playa dust. Take your pick: phosphoric, hydrochloric, boric, sulfuric, nitric.... pick one. Doesnt much matter. Dilute it. Apply it. Say "ahhhh". Done.

L
YSERGIC?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 pm

I've always done playa foot salad. Wash hands/feet with vinegar-soaked washcloth first, then rub in olive oil. It not only feels really good and moisturizes the skin, it changes the smell basically to salad dressing for 5 minutes or so... not really very disagreeable at all. Vinegar has the added advantages of being inexpensive and readily available (any grocery store should carry it, no need to order online or mix up from powder), and we already bring olive oil as part of our kitchen setup. Use whatever works best and is easiest for you!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:30 pm

I go with vinegar, it's not like the smell lasts more than five minutes, tops.

I'm convinced that my pre-playa pedicure, which eliminates the cracks and callouses and makes my skin ohsosoft, is largely responsible for my complete lack of playa foot despite running around barefoot most days.

Also, I always clean my feet before socks/shoes and again before bed.

Udder cream is nice for moisturising.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token

Post by Token » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
In fact, I have used hydrochloric acid instead of vinegar because its odorless and a simple acid.
So, what you're sayin' is puke all on your feet before applying the shea butter ...

HCL FTW!

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:24 pm

I use a splash of hydrofluoric but you gotta keep it away from any glassware or metal utensils. Another good reason to only bring plastic bottles to the playa!

tahiti_treat
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:53 am

I like a diluted lemon juice foot bath, followed by peppermint lotion and fresh socks. Mmmmmmm....

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Eric wrote:
Token wrote:Playa foot is not necessarily due to the alkalinity of the Playa. That is a bit of Playa Chicken pseudoscience. The PH is like that of soap.

So much this. I walk around barefoot in the cool of the morning and wear loose slippers without socks most days - I've never had problems with my feet (and I'm usually too lazy to moisturize at night). My hands however ... different story. Every year I end up with fucked-up cuticles, even with all my tricks (liquid bandaid or super glue over them, moisturizing, etc). Plan for the worst, hope for the best. As always.
Yeah, my feet hold up pretty well after I discovered that they did not need to be in boots the whole time. Some lotion before going to bed is usually enough.

My hands though, they become rough and dry and sometimes blood. I try to keep my hands in gloves anytime I have to handle anything, to keep them from getting too wrecked.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Token wrote:
GreyCoyote wrote:
In fact, I have used hydrochloric acid instead of vinegar because its odorless and a simple acid.
So, what you're sayin' is puke all on your feet before applying the shea butter ...

HCL FTW!
Hehehe. Isnt that why all those free bars exist? 6 bars, 12 drinks, no Tums, and yer feet are good to go.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:45 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Hehehe. Isnt that why all those free bars exist? 6 bars, 12 drinks, no Tums, and yer feet are good to go.
I did have terrible painful feet my first year, and I did medicate my feet with alcohol from the inside.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Well, if you had medicated your feet with alcohol from the *outside*, then I think the Irish would have a contract out on you.

I knew an Irishman once. Devout Catholic, and he claimed to know about Judgment Day. In his way of thinking, at the end of our path there would be a barrel filled with every dram of liquor you had ever spilled or wasted. St Peter stands by with a winch to hoist the supplicant up by his feet, only to be lowered into the barrel head first. If, after five minutes, you had drowned in the liquor, you were sent to Hell. If you survived, you got your wings.

I always like to consider this possibility whever I spill my beer. :)
(A Beautiful Mind)

Token

Post by Token » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:33 am

GreyCoyote wrote:

I always like to consider this possibility whever I spill my beer. :)
I don't think the Irish consider beer as a drink that qualifies.

Beer is what you drink to hydrate after all the whiskey.

Don't spill the whiskey!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”