First Timer Anticipation

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 am

Now, now Zane, think of all those "bonus" strings of mardi gras beads he'll have. . .
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:38 am

Arcticmoon you are going to have a great time!
I went first time last year and it was so much more than I anticipated.
Terrifying, wonderful, horrible, mysterious, joyous.
There is a lot of pressure to contribute, but I think everyone should get one free visit, the first visit, just to soak up the experience.
I had a hard time with the dust, heat and wind though i wasnt expecting the environment to be so harsh, even though i read all the warnings.
Bring a good respirator and air tight goggles,and lots of sunscreen/moisturizer.
Be seeing you!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Last Real Burner

If it doesn't move, set it on fire....

Post by Last Real Burner » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:08 am

Everthing those guys said, and remember, there is no right or wrong place to be at burningman. Just be at burningman.

your one true lovely,
the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:32 am

There is a lot of pressure to contribute,
Only because thet's been a primary concept for as long as I remember.
but I think everyone should get one free visit, the first visit, just to soak up the experience.
I think 'spectator' is the term most often used in this instance.

This is starting to sound like Letterman's Mr. Bad Advice.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:13 am

As a first timer I do think it's a good idea to "contribute" because contributing helps you integrate into the community and become more a part of things, but you can contribute on so many different levels. As a first-timer I think it's okay to contribute on a modest level, given the visual/emotional/physical impact of your first time at Burning Man (especially if you are not camping with veterans or an established camp). I'm a 43-year old woman who had never camped on her own before and had never been to BRC before 2004. I had every good intention of "contributing" - I was going to body paint, do portraits, do a message board for US soldiers, I had costumes, I had art projects, all kinds of stuff...but I never pulled ANY of that stuff out of the bins, because the demands of basic survival - just maintaining myself, my teen and my collapsing camp - took every sad little scrap of middle-aged energy I possessed; and what little was left over I used to explore that mesmerizing city before I collapsed from total exhaustion. So my small contribution ended up being sharing my satellite phone with my neighbors, sharing booze, hugs, food and conversation, and participating in the activities offered by theme camps. That was all I could manage for my first time, and I think that's okay. So for your first time I don't think you should stress too much about what to contribute, I think you'll figure it out when you get there.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:08 pm

You contribute what you can. If that's a hug and a hand, cool. If that's helping someone put a camp together or getting into a theme camp, awesome, If that's doing the Campartica or Lamplighter or something like that, there ya go! The most important thing is to do *something*. The best way to be (IMO only) disappointd is to "spectate" and not be a part.

It's not just the individual camps or the individual art - the real art is the City going up and being. You can't duplicate art like that!

And it takes the whole damn village to make a BRC. >>grins<<

BBS

the_iconoclast

Post by the_iconoclast » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:38 am

This is my first year also. I have been trying for the last 7 to get to the Playa.. I had a ticket last year that I had to sell because I needed to cash to repair my vehicle. This year, I have a new suspension, motor, brakes, and transmission. Yesterday I drove 5 hours each way from where I live in Nevada to attend the Spring Town Meeting in SF. While there I met many very friendly people, signed up to work with DPW pre and post event and will be pulling a few gate shifts. The warmth of that gathering confirmed something for me.

My thought is that part of "soaking it all in" is participating. I lack the ability to sit still during periods of hyper-stimulation - it is the way I am wired. I need to see it all, do it all.... I will probably collapse at some point around day three and sleep for 9-10 hours because I had forgotten to sleep for three days. That is why I am joining a theme camp, volunteering, going nuts on camping gear, getting costumes together, and redesigning the interior concept of my van again.

For all of my life I have lived between worlds. Conflict has always existed between what my heart and soul want to do and what I must do in order to survive. The volunteer coordinator for DPW was talking about setting up BRC the three weeks prior to the event. Every fiber of my being wants to do this, but real world situations prevent me from taking 4 weeks off of work. You see, I expect nothing "from" Burning Man... I see Burning Man as an extension of my place between worlds for a couple of weeks that I can finally visit. I will get out what I put into it and perhaps meet a few other residents of the "between worlds" community. I ask for nothing, expect nothing, give what I am able, and accept whatever I get back as a gift I could get nowhere else.

Articmoon - do what you feel is right.. do it because you want to - not because you feel you have to. Being a first-timer myself - I have no right to say what you should or shouldn't do.... but then again - does anybody? Just go - maybe we'll run into each other... if I ask - "Are you doing what pleases you?" I just hope to hear an emphatic "Yes."

vic

Advice for the shy

Post by vic » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:27 pm

Our camp includes several shy people. What worked the best for them was to wear interesting costumes. With a costume, you are participating in the event just by being there. Let the costume do the work, and you can act out whatever role you want.

bullD

Post by bullD » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:28 pm

look for me and my playa vehicle which I think will be called "The Shrink Machine." I will have always at least one person on board to figure out yer shyness issues. don't be shy, hop on board, and be prepared to hear some things about yourself that in a million years could not be possible, he he he...

I'M SERIOUS!!!

Free

Post by Free » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:58 pm

[quote="the_iconoclast"]
My thought is that part of "soaking it all in" is participating. I lack the ability to sit still during periods of hyper-stimulation - it is the way I am wired. I need to see it all, do it all.... I will probably collapse at some point around day three and sleep for 9-10 hours because I had forgotten to sleep for three days. [/quote]

Should you stumble into our camp I'm sure we'll take care of you babe, I love your attitude...

I'm a newbie too, and I'm just a little scared myself, not only is the first time for my husband and I but its also the first time we'll be meeting our camp-mates face to face.... although we've been friends for about a year now, we choose Burning Man to bring us all together. Pretty brave right?

Your questions and answeres are very helpful... omg, I am so excited, and I have so much to do!
Heal my soul O Lithium sunset and I'll ride the turning world into another night...

Elemental666

errrm, a whole camp of newbs?!

Post by Elemental666 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:48 am

So uh yeah, first timer this year as well. I'm part fo camp that so far is upto 8 confirmed 11 possible people. Just realized the other day that exactl 1 of these people has ever been and they were a virgin last year!!! Concerning? Kinda...

I don't doubt our ability to survive as I'm a bit of preparedness freak and one of the other members is ex special forces. Several others are well versed in braving the wilds as well. However this does very little for the whole BM experience. While our physical welfare should be in capable hands our metaphysical may be headed for a chaotic maelstrom of new endeavours and experience the likes of which we a none to prepared for. Now there are 2 other maybe's who haven't missed the burn n the last 10 or so year (this is what I've been told, I haven't met them) so their pressence will be greatly appreciated. My concern is that the experienced peeps in the camp may get burnt out with the newbs. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated as now would be time to make adjustments...

Thanks

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:06 am

One way to prevent veterans (or other newbs) from getting pissed at newbs is to make sure you balance all of your fun and exploration with a bit of time pulling your weight in camp. It's very easy to get caught up in the seductive wondrous tentacles of BRC and forget to help your campmates with camp chores every once in a while (crikey, I sound like a naggy ol' mom. Wait, I AM a naggy ol' mom).

articmoon

Post by articmoon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:20 am

Wow, meeting all of you here on the eplaya, is making me more and more excited about going. Knowing that there are so many nice people going to be there. I am working on some costumes. One I know for sure is a fairy costume. Others I am still trying to figure out.

I just recently spent a day out in the desert in las vegas (Valley of Fire) it was hot, and of course I was drinking lots of fluids. I made a comment to a tour guide I met up with on a trail and she told me the heat I felt that day was nothing and to come back in July when the weather was 110+ degrees. I almost fell over. I plan on making sure I am very well prepared and double prepared for the elements out there. Looks like I will be dusting off my parasol.
>^,,^<

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:42 pm

Back-up portable shade plan: big-assed wide brim hat with a solid yet comfy cord. Parasols are nifty, but hard to handle in the wind and/or on a bike. Best to have both to choose from each day.

I just found a wearable straw sombrero at the local thrift shop for a buck - woohoo! It is sooo tacky!

articmoon

Post by articmoon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:38 am

got the hat ready to go too. I can't wait to go. i believe this is gonna be a great trip.
>^,,^<

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”