The POOP on GOOP

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
robotland

The POOP on GOOP

Post by robotland » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:25 am

It's time once again for the Robotland Goop Rant! GOOP adhesive is a favorite of mine, and I find myself compelled to share the gospel of its sticky goodness. As they come to me, I will relay my observations about this adhesive miracle.

-CONSUMER TIP! There are a number of different GOOP products, marketed for plumbing, RVs, household, etc.- Screw it, they're all so close to identical (if they're different AT ALL) that the important thing is to buy the cheapest one. (Hovers around four bucks per tube- More's a ripoff.) The original product was and is called SHOE GOO- It's just a little thicker, but otherwise identical. A recent addition- BLACK goo, for boot repairs. The pigment that makes it black changes the consistency a little, and I find it less pliable, but it dries to a slick, black surface.
-HANDY HINT! You can smooth GOOP after application with a moistened finger, leaving a very nice, blended seam. Wipe excess from fingers and rub residue off like rubber cement.
-CONSUMER TIP #2! Some types of GOOP come with a screw-on applicator snout, while others do not. The snout is very handy for tight places.
More to come, since I can't help myself.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Goop Addiction

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:03 am

Hi. My name is jellyfish and I am a Goop addict.

Step one: We admitted we are powerless over Goop....

Thanks, Robotland. Was it you that introduced me to its goopy goodness?

I have been on the Goopy podium with my partner (you know who you are, Killbuck!) on the creation of http://www.mutantvehicle.com/miniman.htm and he is still always making love to his hot glue gun. Works great in the shop, but all you need is a hot playa sun beating down on black plastic parts and nature has just made your hot glue hot again.

Don't you love the end of a day of el wire installation when you power it up and drink beer while you peel the dried Goop off of your hands?

I do find the "Outdoor" version of Goop is stronger over time. It gets a little harder when left outside, but you can still remove it by hand, you just have to pull harder.

Goop saves me money because no art installation is permanent and you can pull parts from old projects and install on new ones and all the Goop residue comes off cleanly.

Sing a song of Goop for me, and tell me tales of the adhesives of old...
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:24 am

What do you say......"Goop Camp" for 2006?

"GOOP, not MOOP" T-shirts?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:40 am

and on the back

"We Stick Together"
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:30 am

"GOOP TROOP"
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:29 pm

robotland wrote:"GOOP TROOP"
Wanna get loopy? Sniff my Goopy.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:59 am

Get your POOP in a GROUP with GOOP.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Prime Duchess

Post by Prime Duchess » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:01 pm

What a topic to stumble in on(when in this a higher state), I was seriously laughing out loud at this.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:32 am

Prime Duchess wrote:What a topic to stumble in on(when in this a higher state), I was seriously laughing out loud at this.
Welcome to GOOP TROOP! We also like FROOT LOOPS, BETTY BOOP, CHICK'N KOOP, DOOP STICKS, C. EVERETT KOOP, DA YOOPERS, BLOO MAN GROOP, HOOLA HOOPS, and the CHICAGO LOOP.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:22 am

robotland wrote:
Prime Duchess wrote:What a topic to stumble in on(when in this a higher state), I was seriously laughing out loud at this.
Welcome to GOOP TROOP! We also like FROOT LOOPS, BETTY BOOP, CHICK'N KOOP, DOOP STICKS, C. EVERETT KOOP, DA YOOPERS, BLOO MAN GROOP, HOOLA HOOPS, and the CHICAGO LOOP.
I don't want to snoop, but when the the goop troupe group stoop from their sloop for goop moop dripped from hula hoop soup will they whoop or just poop?

(Taken from "the Zen of Moop Soup", Ima B.A. Dupe, 1967)

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:01 pm

We'll sing a chorus of "shoop shoop" as our troupe drives by in our coupe, observing you through a jeweler's loupe and sipping delicious sooooooooop.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:08 pm

robotland wrote:We'll sing a chorus of "shoop shoop" as our troupe drives by in our coupe, observing you through a jeweler's loupe and sipping delicious sooooooooop.
~
The Man with a net will be seeing you soon.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:44 pm

Good- He's late this week!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:24 pm

Maybe this thread should be a sticky.

>>drum roll on fifty five gallon drum of Goop<<

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:24 am

Bond........Semipermanent Bond.

*BWAH DAH DAHDAH, DAHDAHDAH...BAD DADADWAH, DADWADAHHHH....*
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue May 10, 2005 9:02 am

While out for a stroll on this lovely, sunny day an important tip comes to mind regarding GOOP....It LOVES the sun. Impatient makers-of-things (such as I) can speed the curing of GOOP significantly by simply placing your already-gooped project outside on a bright day. I stick a lot of aluminum thingies together, and the warmth conducted by the metal helps as well. Be careful if you have particularly thick blobs of GOOP, though, as the outer surface of the blob will cure up and seal the uncured inner contents leaving you with a slow-curing "blister". Thin layers are best.
ANOTHER thing....when sticking two smooth, nonporous surfaces together it helps to drill a few small holes in them to allow the GOOP to flow through and "lock" the two materials together. (Sort of a pop-rivet made of glue.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 10, 2005 10:07 am

robotland wrote:<snip>
~
Just love how low you will stoop to give us the scoop on goop

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue May 10, 2005 11:09 am

I owe it to this groop! My vigilance will never droop! About GOOP shall I ever whoop!

Whilst otherwise mousing about, I happened across a site which intimated that The Sticky Goodness was actually BANNED in California....Can one of you Left Coasters confirm or dispell this rumor? Seems dumb, what with all the earthquakes, to be deprived of such a fine substance with which to repair one's broken tchochkes.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Wed May 11, 2005 1:58 pm

No no its still here in CA (at least in Santa Barbara) 'cause I have a tube of Household Goop sitting on my worktable just purchased and ready for duty. I had to get "checkout approval" to buy super glue recently, but not for Goop.
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu May 12, 2005 5:34 am

GOOD! I'd not have my Westerly friends deprived of it! Just went to stock up on a coupla tubes, and noticed an upgrade to the packaging. Doesn't appear to have been reformulated, though. (whew)

GOOP USE 3,1434:
Upgrade cheapo monster masks with "realistic drool" made from drizzles of GOOP. Salivalicious!

GOOP USE 1,285:
Just a dab'll hold a nickel to the floor or sidewalk....stake out a spot nearby to watch the skinflints! (Install at night so it'll have time to cure.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:33 pm

Is Shoe Goo the same formulation? Sure works just as well.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:26 am

Yup. It's the original stuff.

I MIGHT have mentioned it before, knowing me, but it bears repeating that the BLACK formula (bluish tube, penguinlike creature) has noticeably different qualities and properties. GREAT for what it's made for, which is repairing black-soled boots or shoes, but harder to smooth out for art purposes. But it will dry slick and glossy, especially if you smooth it with a moistened finger.

USE #92784:
I just tacked down the wiring for my thinking cap (helmet covered with light effects) with.....you know.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:33 am

Thinking Cap?!??! You sleigh me!!!!

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:38 am

It looks really cool in the dark, too....One of those old-style roundbrimmed miner's helmets with chasing LED effects, EL wire and a small plasma globe on the top to illustrate my "though processes in action"....(In other words, chaotic and random.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:56 am

robotland wrote:It looks really cool in the dark, too....One of those old-style roundbrimmed miner's helmets with chasing LED effects, EL wire and a small plasma globe on the top to illustrate my "though processes in action"....(In other words, chaotic and random.)

~
In other word normal for you¿;<)

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:39 am

Yes, and I guess it speaks volumes that I misspelled "thought", too.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:51 am

My son scored a small sound generater and light effect.(yard saling) It's all done up in a plastic. So now my miniman will be thinking out loud as he peddles me around the playa. It's good to be King.(where'd that come from?)

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

real question

Post by swampdog » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:24 am

Is goop transparent/translucent? I'm doing an EL-wire robe and learning to hate hot glue. How long does it take to dry - eg, if I'm gluing down wire runs on the inside of a garment, how long do I need to sit and hold it steady until I can go on the next bit?

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:54 am

What I generally do is tack the wiring down at 6" increments, or wherever there's a kink or bend...Then you can go back at your leisure and fill in the gaps. Small dabs of thinly-applied GOOP are cured within a few hours, and you can speed the process by exposing it to direct sunlight. Masking tape, spring clips or small weights can be used to hold the wires flush while the GOOP sets. Bear in mind that GOOP will penetrate the fibers of loosely-woven material and probably NOT come out again...And it can pull the thin outer layer off of leather. I squeeze out a little bit, wet my fingertip, and smooth the GOOP along the surface to be bonded for best adhesion and appearance.
GOOP is almost clear, and dries almost the same except, of course, for the black stuff. I'm totally used to the smell of it, but it makes my wife wince- Best used with ventilation, or outside with the sun shining....(isn't EVERYTHING?)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

thanks

Post by swampdog » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:21 pm

Thanks, I am now ready to officially sign up with the GOOP troop. I love this stuff! I (currently, things are evolving) do the following to attach EL wire to costume: use Buttoneer to tack down the pattern as I go. Put a thin bit of GOOP on the wire in between tack points and stick it down to the fabric. I had tried putting the goop on the fabric, but it looks messier. It looks pretty solid and playa proof, and there's no distortion to the EL wire.

My "thinking cap" is going to be an old bike helmet with a couple-dozen stiff EL wire segments sticking out from it, on a 5 way sequencer.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”