The POOP on GOOP

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
robotland

Re: thanks

Post by robotland » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:47 pm

swampdog wrote:Thanks, I am now ready to officially sign up with the GOOP troop. I love this stuff! My "thinking cap" is going to be an old bike helmet with a couple-dozen stiff EL wire segments sticking out from it, on a 5 way sequencer.
Welcome to GOOP Camp!

I tested my Thinking Cap last night....rode around Plainwell in the rain and then walked into a pub. Several folks asked me what it was, what purpose did it serve, and so on....When I told them "I'm an artist, and I just made it because I wanted to" they seemed to understand. (As in, "Oh, he's an ARTIST...It doesn't make sense or anything!")

I started two more caps from the chrome plastic outer and black foam inner of a bike helmet- The foam one has blinky sequencer lights from a gutted toy, and Hello Kitty. I'll probably add dinosaurs. The shiny one'll be for daywear on-playa, and will have all shiny or mirrored things and maybe a propeller-beanie top.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:48 am

Yikes! I let the GOOP thread slip all the way back to PAGE NINE!?!?!

Actually, I had my head turned around for me last night....I'm not bailin' on my old buddy GOOP, now- Let's be clear about that- But JB Weld ROCKED MY WORLD, coming to the rescue on a project where I really wasn't sure it'd work. I'm assembling a Robot Greeter for an art show this weekend, and he's looking pretty good but needs to be freestanding; I was on the verge of bolting him to an old walker and proclaiming him "Diff-Able 5000" when it occurred to me to try some JB. After a coupla shot of JB, I felt better and went back to the studio. (laughs.) I scrounged a piece of diamondplate, stuck two poprivets into into it where the feet go, leaving the rivetstems sticking up, and drilled holes into the bottom of Robo's feet to receive the rivetstems. (His legs are made from aluminum baseball bats, with the grippin' end down.)Then JB Weld was mixed and applied, and in ten minutes HE WAS STANDING. He weighs about 30 pounds, and that li' dab holds him rock solid. JB now goes EVERYWHERE with me, although I keep the GOOP in a different pocket so they don't fight.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 am

robotland wrote:JB now goes EVERYWHERE with me, although I keep the GOOP in a different pocket so they don't fight.....
Or mate and produce a glue that will solidify the whole world.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:43 am

JABOOP!

Next from Planet Steve Labs:

The combination screwdriver/sledgehammer!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

phil

Post by phil » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:58 am

He weighs about 30 pounds, and that li' dab holds him rock solid.
Got'ny pictures?

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:36 pm

I've got some last tweaks, painting and wiring to do and then I'll try to post a pic..... Still having trouble getting them to eplaya, but I know I can email 'em.
Got a feeling he's going to have brothers and sisters, now that I know about the JB/GOOP balance.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

RegRad
Burning Since: 2005

Goop Fix

Post by RegRad » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Things I have fixed with Goop:
Several Pairs Of Shoes (Not sure the exact count).
Mud Flap On My Vehicle.
Snowboard (De-Lamination).
Keep bolts on snowboard binding from coming loose(This works really well).
Tippy SL68II PaintBall Marker (I also used JB Weld to fix this as well).
Broom Handle.
Shovel Handle.
Garden Rake Handle.
Random wood screws that come loose and fall out of things.
There are more but I can't think right now because I am huffing Goop!!
:D
-End Communication

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:49 pm

I'm excited- For next year's projects, I need to know lots about using FIBERGLASS. MMMMMmmmm......Resiny!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:33 pm

And Robotland did wave his greenish bunny metal hand and there was much Goop and rejoicing, and the people did feast and there was a great welling of song and souls.

In other words... bump!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Peacekeeper

Post by Peacekeeper » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Jelly fish and Robotland in gleeful GOOP confabulations?

dear god, we're fucking Doomed....

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:57 am

Oh, we MUST be getting close if the GOOP thread is back!!!! Thanks, Jelly!

Got a nifty Cyclops mask on the workbench, with JB seam-smoothers curing as we speak...Preparing to GOOP a number of aluminum shapes to fabric elements for the costumery.
And I'm finally getting to play with fiberglass...but have to wait for Springish weather or risk stankin' up the house. A playmate for ManTis is in the works!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:47 am

Robo: you are becoming the king of all art media! Fiberglass too!? I'm still in PVC land. (Mind those fumes, old bean)

Goop poems, anyone?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:30 pm

*studio break*

Just finished the GOOPing on the Cyclops mask, and added a blindingly brilliant green LED eye beam and some fiberoptic "brain whiskers".

GOOPoem to follow...
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:01 pm

Brain whiskers?! Tell us more!

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Brain whiskers?! Tell us more!
Okay- My dear friend Sparkzy sent me a care package of studio goodies, one of which was a Hallowe'en fiber optic spider....I cut off and discarded the wire body, and removed one of the two foptic sections to reveal the LED which then became the Eye Beam. The remaining foptic piece, with ten strands that had been the eight legs and two antennae, I mounted inside the aluminum cyclops helmet and fed through holes out into the "brains". (Think "Mars Attacks" Martian head, with visible cerebrum.) Right now they're bundled up like some sort of demented ponytails, to keep them out of the spray when I primer the helmet, but eventually they'll get artistically arranged over the "brains".
I'm really, really going to try to get some pics of this stuff up- I'm better with a hammer than with a mouse, but have hope after hearing of "Photobucket".
OTHER PROJECT TODAY: I'm planning to bring a toybox of just EL, LEDs, toy parts, motors, GOOP, JB and random shiny bits to play with at my whim on-playa- I'm hoping that a certain Mr. J.F. Mr. gets to extend his playatime so that we can Make Stuff together, that being a fond memory from last time. (Still need to get you a picture of you in surgical mask and pith helmet, operating on MiniMan's blinky bits.) ANYWAY...I picked up a suitcase-style toolbox from the mission thrift store for a pittance, and tore out the remnants of remaining decayed, funky foam rubber (AIEEE!) and reached for the tube of GOOP...Now the case lid has five clear plastic VHS tape boxes GOOPed to it, ready to receive scrappywirebits or whatever. The bottom compartment's just going to be open space, filled with good junk to rummage through. I might add a few lights to the outside, and/or a tamper-evident alarm system, but have yet to decide. At any rate, the little VHS compartments will mean less dust buildup in the buildybits.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:34 pm

Singing:

Superb adhesion, scent sweet and familiar
don't sniff the Goop, it just might killya'

robotland

Post by robotland » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:43 pm

I...wanna..be...glued...by..you- A-lo-o-one...

GOOP Boop Be Doop!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

phil

Post by phil » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:03 pm

From Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001150.php

Henkel Solid Ribbon Epoxy

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:38 pm

Kernul Killbuck likes PVC cement
he thinks I am a jerk

When he leaves I get out my Goop
and fix all of his work

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:39 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Kernul Killbuck likes PVC cement
he thinks I am a jerk

and fix all of his work
Long had I pondered the inspiration for
His wild, despotic ride

I had not considered it was from huffing
Polyvinylchloride.

The mystic visions he beholds
truly motivate his troop

Perhaps it would not (sadly) be so
were he to switch to GOOP.

Buzzards circle, smoke clouds rise
Never such devastation has been before beheld

Would our doom be so securely cemented
had he, instead, chosen JB Weld?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:44 am

robotland wrote:
Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Kernul Killbuck likes PVC cement
he thinks I am a jerk

and fix all of his work
Long had I pondered the inspiration for
His wild, despotic ride

I had not considered it was from huffing
Polyvinylchloride.

The mystic visions he beholds
truly motivate his troop

Perhaps it would not (sadly) be so
were he to switch to GOOP.

Buzzards circle, smoke clouds rise
Never such devastation has been before beheld

Would our doom be so securely cemented
had he, instead, chosen JB Weld?
Big belly LOL!

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:28 am

A new technique!
I'm filling the voids in and on a Special War Toy for Apokiliptika Show'n'Tell...The body has a number of aluminum components that I needed to blend, and I was going through JB at an expensive rate, so I tried packing the bigger areas with cheaper wood putty first, letting it dry, and then slicking it with the JB. Once cured, the JB gives it all a slick, hard shell that can still be filed and sanded (if you don't go through to the putty) as usual. For ULTRAcheap, use Durham's "Rock Hard" water putty...big tub fer a coupla bucks. Great stuff. Over areas that don't require much smoothing, you can smear the JB on with a moistened fingertip to reduce the amout used. Check for runs or drips after a little while, or let the JB sit and set up partially before applying. (Note that I'm NOT using "JB Quick", which sets up in a few minutes and isn't as friendly in this particular application.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:54 pm

Would GOOP be appropriate for an on-playa craft project at my camp. I was originally thinking of glue guns, but am not sure of current issues. This would be gluing various playa trinket gifts to wooden picutre frames painted with acrylic paint so that people have a frame for their favorite playa photo. I was concerned with the 24 hour cure time--especially as people might want to put thier frame in their pack to go back to camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:07 pm

I hot-glued some trinkets onto a painted wood surface one; once it got hot in direct sunlight the trinkets fell right off. I'll never use hot glue for playa applications again.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks for bumpin' this topic, y'all. I think Goop would be perfect for the frames. It sets up pretty fast and if you supply rolls of blue painter's masking tape to hold the trinkets in place, they can just peel if off when they get home. I like to peel if off after it sets up for 1/2 hour or so when the glue is still flexible and will release the tape bits easily.

You can sometimes buy Goop in bulk on E-bay. I use it for just about everything. Shoe Goo brand is basically the same stuff.

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:28 pm

...And sunlight and dry heat, abundant on-playa, are a true boon to GOOP curing. If applied THINLY, you're Good To Go in under an hour, although reinforcement might be necessary later.
One concern that I have about the picture frames, my dear Fishie, is that while acrylic paint may stick fine to the wood or plastic frames, trauma to the items glued TO the acrylic might cause it to rip away. I've had this EXACT experience happen to me, and it's PARTICULARLY vexing once the piece is finished to have to go back and do repairs. A roughened or raw surface is preferable, where possible.

NEW GLUE TIP:
My five weeks of working for a banner screenprinting company have yielded a wealth of useful art info and techniques, including this tip: How To Make Tape Stick. Our silkscreens are made of 2x4" lumber, and are SATURATED with prehistoric screenprinter's ink for the most part....We have to tape off the edges of the newly-stretched screens to keep the ink out of the corners and edges, using fairly traditional clear shipping tape, and it has issues when it comes to adhering to the funked-up wood. Enter 3M "Super 77" Spray Adhesive. Most artists have dealt with this stuff at some time or another, for mounting tags onto foamcore or something, and it's kinda nasty and a bitch to clean up, BUT....Spray it onto (reasonably wiped-down) wood and THEN lay on the tape, and, well, "voila'!" of sorts.
While I'm in the screenprinting neighborhood- Don't forget to come visit me a'Playa for some freebie Sunduck fabric scraps. Sometime soon here I'm gonna have to start hemming up pennants and flags and such, and then print up Burning Man Rah-Rah pennants, prayer flags and other goodies.
The Sunduck, by the way, responds VERY WELL to being GOOPed.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:27 pm

I'm still using goop on microcell foam sheets, not the best adhesion but at least it does not melt. It does not penetrate because of the thickness.

Some -ahem- "people" prefer glue gun on it but I'm gonna seal his eyelids shut if he brings it to the playa. Any suggestions on glues for microcell?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:10 pm

robotland wrote:...SATURATED with prehistoric screenprinter's ink
Mammoth spit?
The Lady with a Lamprey

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:05 pm

robotland wrote:...Enter 3M "Super 77" Spray Adhesive...
I used this when re-felting the pool table I brought onto the playa last year. It worked great. First I used Clorox bleach pens to bleach out an image onto some cheap (yet decent) wool first. Then sprayed down the wood (it was old) pool table surface with the Super 77. I then slapped on the wool, stretched it and clamped it and let it setup over night. It worked wonders.
Participate! - )'( -

http://regionalchaos.net

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue May 16, 2006 4:48 pm

I've got a couple of tubes of E-6000. Useful or should I dump them?
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”