Ratchet straps or used climbing rope?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
GhettorigMechanic
Burning Since: 2017

Ratchet straps or used climbing rope?

Post by GhettorigMechanic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Hey all, I'm building a new shade structure for my camp at Battlestar Erotica this year, and I was hoping some of you could chime in on the pros and cons of using ratchet straps vs used climbing rope or something similar. I haven't used the repurposed ripe before, but I don't know if I should need it or not. It's a 20x30x7 square shade structure with shade cloth top. We'll be using 3/8" by 14" lag bolts for securing it.

I use ratchet straps for my monkey hut and they work great, but they're also static and don't have much stretch in case of a wind storm. Not sure how they compare to used line for price either. The lines I was looking at online were about $80 for 100'

asr9754

Re: Ratchet straps or used climbing rope?

Post by asr9754 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:12 pm

+1 for ratchet straps. They are easy to adjust as the week goes by and things wiggle and loosen up in the wind.
I have some used climbing rope that I always bring along for misc, but have not found a need for it that my ratchet straps couldn't do better.

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Yes to ratchet straps for the same reasons listed above.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:34 pm

Rope 100%. Ratchet straps vibrate and are noisy, no matter how many twists I put in them.

A truckers hitch is just as adjustable as a ratchet strap.

YMMV but for me it was rope all the way over the decades.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 pm

With rope, you can use some nice running rigging with the rope, which will balance the load for you. Another nice thing is that if the rope you used is cheap enough (or you don't care about it), you can just cut it instead of pulling it out.

If you use paracord, you can also use a Blake's Hitch and a nice slip-knot to keep things as rigid as you need. It really grips and doesn't slip.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 am

Taut line hitch in the house

With 3 or 4 good knots under your belt, you can turn and ordinary piece of rope into numerous mechanical advantages. I use rope and straps and mule tape, dependent on necessity and laziness factor.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 am

I have a bag of used climbing straps as a back up. I love them. Easy to tie and untie. No wind noise. Impossible to break them. I used them this week-end for an event. Oh, and they come in bright colors to fit into your decorating scheme. At the Burn I use ratchet straps for the ease of it.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:00 am

With the OP having their tag as Ghetto-Rig-Mechanic anything short of rope would be a disgrace ;)

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:39 pm

I use paracord on everything that I tie down. Some of my over zealous camp mates use ratchet straps that attach to the nice paracord loops I make that hook on to the lag bolt chains. :) I go through about a roll of paracord every 2 years most through shade expansion.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

GhettorigMechanic
Burning Since: 2017

Post by GhettorigMechanic » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Sailor by trade, knots are my specialty actually. My structure is going to be made of steel top rail though, so paracord is definitely out.

I think I'm leaning towards ratchet straps for ease, I just figured I'd get the vets to lend their opinions on what's worked best for them in the past. I know the climbing rope has massive break strength and some stretch, and I guess less noise. Ratchet straps might end up cheaper tho. I'm a big fan of overengineering, so I just want this thing to be apocalypse proof 8)

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Having used both, I definitely prefer ratchet straps (and have never had noise issues with them).

The big reason is ease of use - not just for me, but for my campmates. You may be an expert with the right knots, but if you're the only one in the camp who is, then you're also going to be the only one tying things down and maintaining the lines. Ratchet straps require a little knowledge to get started correctly, but after that anyone can add tension to them.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:28 pm

As above:
  • ratchet straps for the ease of adjustment, high visibility
  • rope to avoid the noise of straps vibrating in the wind, you'll need to hang stuff on it so people notice it
If you're familiar with climbing rope, you should have no problem with securing it. If not, as above, the Trucker's Hitch.
It's hard for camp-mates to screw up ratchet straps. It's more likely they'll leave ropes alone so won't mess them up. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Do you have idiots who touch things they don't understand? Will something happen while there's only idiots in camp and they need to do something. Depends on what happens... and a good idiot can wreck anything.

Look at the PDF BBadger provided the link to.
And if the structure is going to be big, you can also have multiple stakes per guy-line: "picket" as in the PDF, and/or with a balanced load like multiple anchor points in climbing.

Either way, appropriately long lag-screws is such a secure way to go. And their head is at the ground for low/no puncture injury risk.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:35 pm

All my shade structures are steel and have not worn through any paracord yet attaching to the structure or the lag bolt chains.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”