Burning LEDs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
KosherBacon
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: burntbacon

Burning LEDs

Post by KosherBacon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm

I had a rule clarification question and could not find the answer anywhere so I was hoping someone could point me to the text or if they know of the ruling could get me the information.
If we were building a project that was going to burn and wanted to burn our LEDs inside for a practical and theme related effect is this alright? No batteries would be burnt in the process. A copper wire would be buried running from the batteries to the LEDs so no plastics or chemicals would be burned, only the LEDs themselves and some melted copper.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Burning LEDs

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:05 pm

Er, well, LEDs are nearly always packaged in materials containing plastics and the electronics themselves contain different chemicals, metals, etc. Depending on where you bought the LEDs, the solder may also have lead and other stuff in it. Your wires will also be insulated using plastic.

Overall though, everything we burn gives off toxins of some sort. Depending on the quantities of LEDs, the heat intensity, proximity to people, and how you clean all that shit up, the amounts you want to incinerate might be just fine.

You should probably contact BM's Flame Effect folk and have them weigh in on the subject. You can find the contact info at the bottom of this page.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Burning LEDs

Post by Token » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:39 pm

When deciding, you gotta consider the type of LED.

The new SMD types, when naked, i.e. without waterproofing or lenses, they are a relatively small footprint. But even that adds up if you have hundreds of them.

3528 and 5050 are common sizes (millimeters height-width)

The 5050 are much brighter so you may need fewer.

The old cylinder style LEDs have a ton of plastic.

The LED strips without the waterproof coatings should be on the lower end of the toxic spectrum. They probably have some kind of conformal coating but likely silicone which burns relatively non-toxic.

Make sure all your burnables are RoHS compliant.

RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) is a European Union directive that restricts the use of lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium (VI), PBBs, and PBDEs in electrical and electronic equipment as of July 1, 2006.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”