First Time Burner Looking for Friends

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
EcoElder

First Time Burner Looking for Friends

Post by EcoElder » Sun May 08, 2005 11:25 am

My daughter is a long time burner and has enthused my participation for this year. She may not be able to attend this time so I am looking for a like-minded individual to camp and/or hang out with. I am a dedicated student of human nature and pursue an objective view of the world. I have background in the natural sciences (BS) and a career in Environmental Education (MS). I feel I am a humanist, a free-thinker and (at best) an Agnostic. I am an inveterate traveler, having set foot on every continent (less Antarctica). By way of my travels I have observed, at close quarters, the major religions of the world, enough at least, to draw some conclusions regarding the transitory nature of any "true belief"!By my assuning a more global view, I have compelled myself to look at the world without the accepted "wsidom" of the western world. As a career environmentalist I have become increasingly aware of our earth's burgeoning population and diminishing resources, and I fear for future generations (my grandkids). As I see it, Burning Man is an unburdened fling at a new understanding and an opportunity to be with other humans who are free to explore human nature without constraints. I am 82 years old but physically active and (hopefully) tuned in. An outdoor enthusiast and back-packer since age 13, I have "been there" when it comes to living under tough conditions. Perhaps I can offer some personal insights by exchanging ideas with younger people. If you are interestin getting to know me, please reply. Thanx.

falk

Post by falk » Sun May 08, 2005 9:12 pm

This will be my second burn. Here are my thoughts for a newbie:

If at all possible, go with an established group of experienced burners. The desert is one of the most brutal environments in the country and experienced burners can be a huge help -- they'll help you with things you might not have thought of: chapstick, hydration, decent shoes, goggles, dust masks, supplies you forgot.

Experienced camps may have a meal plan you can join. They'll have showers and shade structures. They'll also have advice on things to do and to see.

Read the survival guide and don't skip any "must have" items it lists.

Don't be a tourist -- participate. You can always find things to do at the event.

Some specifics. Here is a list of things I forgot or did wrong my first time
  • Water, water, water, water. No shit. Drink twice as much as you think you need. Dehydration sneaks up on you. Worst I experienced was a headache, but the infirmiry tent is packed with people who were not so lucky.
  • Good shoes & socks. Moisturizer for your feet. Playa Foot is something I wish to never experience again.
  • Good goggles. I brought costume goggles and I regretted it.
  • Bring a dust mask and carry it with you at all times.
  • Leave your camera behind or only bring a cheap one. The dust gets everywhere. let someone else ruin their camera and download their photos later.

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon May 09, 2005 11:45 am

You, and everyone else, are always welcome at Jungle Camp. We will not be in the theme camp area this year but just look for the palm trees and ancient Winnebago between 5:00 and 5:30. We have shade, a comfy place to sit and great friends we have gathered from year to year. (The Zebra golf cart is also a dead giveaway to our location, if it's not out galloping the playa)
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Shinxy

Re: First Time Burner Looking for Friends

Post by Shinxy » Wed May 11, 2005 11:07 am

If I were you, I'd volunteer somewhere that will house you as well, such as the Lamplighters. They love having first time burners, and as long as you do your duty (which isn't that hard) they will have food and supplies and all kinds of nice things in their camp, plus lots of new people to meet and a chance to camp right at the center of everything.
aka Twin, Luminary BRC Lamplighters
'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '10

falk

Post by falk » Wed May 11, 2005 12:44 pm

Awesome idea.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Wed May 11, 2005 5:07 pm

Pretty damn good advice all around...

fancy1

Post by fancy1 » Wed May 11, 2005 6:09 pm

Bravo! Last year we had an elder, mid-70's, with us, and it was his virgin year. Very active and self reliant, he was both a great help and a delight. We were all surprised when we discovered his true age.
You're welcome to join us, the LAFers, if you'd like. And if not, just enjoy the burn. Read all that you can, and be prepared for the weather. Sometimes good, sometimes rough, and always an adventure. It's something that you should experience at least once.

www.artpacific.com/burningfriends.html

enjoy,

Fancy
"the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

Louise

Post by Louise » Sat May 14, 2005 2:47 pm

You may want to consider camping in Hushville. Phil and I have camped with the group for 3 years - the main requirement for joining is that you agree to use no amplified sound and not use a generator. You can get details at http://www.playachicken.com/hushville/. You do need to register in advance, but David hasn't started registration for this year yet. The group is varied, friendly, supportive, and welcoming - so you'd have alot of support if you needed it.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”