burningman is not real life

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
artcrash

Post by artcrash » Wed May 11, 2005 2:05 pm

I wanted to mention to a few of the good people on here that replicating the comfort and convienience level of your normal life should not be your goal on the Playa. What I mean is, you really will be obnoxious if you show up in your undecorated 30' rv, running a generator non stop to fire up your AC, your microwave, your coffee maker and your laptop so you can surf the net on a wireless network.....As a long time burner it really seems to me that some of the old spirit of experiencing the climate of the desert has been lost. Some suggestions:

You don't need AC....spray yourself with water and enjoy the breeze
Leave the idea of preparing things that require non stop use of a generator much to the horror of all your neighbors at home. (and above all if you are the type that just can't live without the generator, bring something that is designed to cover it and take noise down ie. a surround built of 2x4s and sound board)
Revel in the chance to conqure the challenges of the desert in creative ways....not just the way you live in the real world......
:twisted:

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed May 11, 2005 3:26 pm

I wanted to mention to a few of the good people on here that replicating the comfort and convienience level of your normal life should not be your goal on the Playa. What I mean is, you really will be obnoxious if you show up in your undecorated 30' rv, running a generator non stop to fire up your AC, your microwave, your coffee maker and your laptop so you can surf the net on a wireless network.....As a long time burner it really seems to me that some of the old spirit of experiencing the climate of the desert has been lost. Some suggestions:
Suggestions? Sure. Got a few right here.

For starters, lay off the equally obnoxious suggestions of how others might do anything on the playa in order to make your experience a better one. It's totally declass.

The 'long time burner' thing is just total shithat. Please, give that one a break too. It carries no currency here.

Last Real Burner

...what were we talking about?.....

Post by Last Real Burner » Wed May 11, 2005 4:58 pm

Yeah what he/she said....

"That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it." - A congressional candidate in Texas.

probably,
the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu May 12, 2005 5:25 am

NO WONDER all that fire and nudity gets me stares at work!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu May 12, 2005 8:02 am

But I live in an RV you big trailer-trash-hater.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu May 12, 2005 8:15 am

Do you drive it to BM? It'd be cool to be both Home AND home.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu May 12, 2005 8:27 am

I plan to, but its on blocks at the moment. My mullet got caught up in the axle last time I tried to put the wheels back on after I got them back from the pawn shop.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu May 12, 2005 8:38 am

Dang.
Do you keep your chickens underneath, or let 'em inside?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu May 12, 2005 8:39 am

Coop is on the roof with a special shoot for the eggs to roll down to the kitchen.

Of course.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu May 12, 2005 8:41 am

Connected, I hope, to a Peewee's Big Adventure-style Breakfast-Makin' Machine, complete with robot Lincoln.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu May 12, 2005 9:21 am

spectabillis wrote:But I live in an RV you big trailer-trash-hater.
haha.

Actually, I think one of the cool things about burning man (for some people) is, "Let's see how much shit we can cart out into the desert and make work." Most of that is nothing that difficult, but, it's always a learning experience and sometimes you learn good stuff to take back with you.
It's what you make it.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Coop is on the roof with a special shoot for the eggs to roll down to the kitchen.
I done ate that bird. Damn thingy kept me up at night scratchin about an all. Strangest chicken I ever saw, white head and brown body... looked a lot like that bird on mah dollar bills.

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri May 13, 2005 5:08 am

Shitfire, Cletus! How that Eagle gon' fly on Monday now you done gone et him up like that?
Ah think that happened in one'd stories Ah rented up down to the liberry...
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 13, 2005 6:40 am

I always thought BM was about building a big wooden man and burning it... not about seeing how much desert climate extreme you can make yourself suffer through...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 13, 2005 9:15 am

Well, Captain, turns out you were wrong. All those wasted years. . .
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

artcrash

Post by artcrash » Fri May 13, 2005 3:24 pm

Dear Isotopia, Thanks for all the advice but hopefully before your generators have a chance to disrupt everyone around you and to stink the rest out, they will over heat or blow up taking you and your nasty little attitude with them......saving the rest of the population from one more selfish fuck....Your friend, a long time burner..... :D

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri May 13, 2005 3:48 pm

hmmmm....(plonk)

At least editing appears to be working now. That is good news!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri May 13, 2005 5:50 pm

Dear Isotopia, Thanks for all the advice but hopefully before your generators have a chance to disrupt everyone around you and to stink the rest out, they will over heat or blow up taking you and your nasty little attitude with them......saving the rest of the population from one more selfish fuck....Your friend, a long time burner....
Artcrash darlink, your presumptuous retort gave me a much needed chuckle. Thank you for that. Also, know that in spite of the ban on commerce in Black Rock City that I'd pay good money to see you shit and fall back in it. Please let me know if this might be possible this year.

Kisses.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 13, 2005 5:52 pm

Uh, Artcrash? Even though I butted heads in the past with Iso, I kinda gotta say he/she is right...
There are generator-free zones (as I'm sure you know) for those who want to strictly rough it, walk in camping and AEZ if you'd rather be "in town".
And since generators seem to be at the heart of your complaint, I'll mention that I have noticed in recent years a huge percentage of BM participants, myself included, have stepped up and $helled out for very quiet generators so as not to disturb the neighbors, even though there is no rule requiring it. At least as compared to, say, 4 years ago and back, relatively few people are still running those lawnmower-engine noise factories.
And Yay! everyone who did buy/borrow/rent quiet stuff...
Remember, quiet is not guaranteed at BM... a big wooden man on fire Saturday night is.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri May 13, 2005 6:35 pm

Artcrash, your attitude is downright offensive. Anyone who wants an equipment failure to hurt someone else is not someone I'd want even in close proximity to me on the playa. For someone that calls themselves a long time burner, your attitude / posts sure don't reflect it. Based on what I've read I hope you stay home.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri May 13, 2005 6:50 pm

I sure hate to be agreeable but I will...

ANyone who would with *any* kind of equipment failure in the desert is not the kind of person I'd want in or near or within 5 blocks of my camp. Aside from the gigs of negative energy (and beware, on the playa energy is a very real and potent thing!) just the attitude that someone would wish harm on the other screams someone who doesn't get, or has never been, on the desert camping or at BRC living or whatever. In the desert (and this is beyond BRC) you *never* turn away a stranger, you *always* help out (or offer to), because to do otherwise is tantamount to a death sentence. People wander into the sagebrush (and sagebrushless) nethers, and die dead, for lack of something that is simple and basic, usually. Tose who have usually also are overprepared for such an eventuality (I still carry snow chains and water bottles and a tarp and rope and tools in *all* my vehicles, and this from when I was a kid *way* before Larry's first spark was ignited on Baker.)

IF it were intended in some kind of jest, well, then I would say, ha ha ha, cool... but it's apparent it wasn't, and I don't care how much I may disagree with Iso (and I do occasionally - just don't post it) or how abrasive I may think Iso is (Oops, sorry! >wince<), were we to meet in the desert what's mine would be available without question... and I am sure that that would be reciprocated, even if I were absolutely and totally despised by Iso...

Desert people are like that. I have yet, in 42 years, to find an exception to that. NOT ONE. And it makes me proud, in a wierd sort of way, to have had the opportunity to have been raised by some of those people and to be one myself.

'Nuff said, I gotta go home. Meebee more later!!

BBS

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri May 13, 2005 6:52 pm

Deleting double posting - sorry!

artcrash

Post by artcrash » Sat May 14, 2005 11:15 am

Well if nothing else Isotopia has shown himself to have a sense of humor which I will have to admit may warrant me inviting him to my camp so he can see me as I sit there in my own shit....Speaking of shit....you other two whiners ( you know who you are ) will be happy to know that after my epiphany during my feces sitting I am sure I will become the beautiful burners you two surely are....and will embrace nothing but love peace and your humorless attitude....by the way I think my Playa name will be LOVE BOY LIGHT BEING....Look for my angelic essence to float through your camp slinging shit on you and yours............peace my brothers and sisters....... :twisted:

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat May 14, 2005 3:46 pm

Don't be like that...

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sat May 14, 2005 4:59 pm

artcrash wrote:... I am sure I will become the beautiful burners you two surely are...
Don't be so sure...
So far, I'd hafta say you wouldn't add up to a pimple on her ass, but that's just my opinion.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sat May 14, 2005 5:06 pm

I'm assuming that's a picture of Miss Iso doing her thang. (which looks absolutely fabulous and that's coming from a critic)...but I think he was referring to Bay Bridge Sue and myself who didn't see the humor in his post and thought he was being serious.

Online communication is notorious for failures like that. If he's being funny...well ha ha. If he was serious, well I won't be editing any posts that's for sure.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Danger

Ugh!!

Post by Danger » Sun May 15, 2005 11:15 am

Please don't tell me that anyone takes any of this seriously!

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sun May 15, 2005 11:20 am

Well it's obvious from my first post that I took it seriously. I'm seeing plain words on a screen and I'm missing any of the normal visual queues that would help determine intent. So I took it at face value.....and apparently got it wrong.

Stuff happens, it's done...let's move on.
K-IV
~~~~

montana wildhack

Post by montana wildhack » Sun May 15, 2005 2:05 pm

god, i miss Divine.

tigerlillie

Post by tigerlillie » Sun May 15, 2005 3:26 pm

NO BURNINGMAN IS NOT REAL LIFE IT IS AWAY TO ESCAPE REAL LIFE FOR ONE WEEK OUT OF THE YEAR :!:

BUT THE PROBLEM HERE ARTCAR, IS WHY ARE YOU AIRING YOURSELF OUT OF THE CLOSET TO STIR TROUBLE ON THE BOARD AFTER BEING GONE FOR SO LONG? WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE? INTENT? MAIN OBJECTIVE? OUTLINE YOUR AGENDA FOR THIS THREAD DEVELOPMENT PLEASE BECAUSE IT IS VERY STRANGE THAT YOU ARE AIMING AND PICKING ON ONE PARTICULAR PERSON, WHILE THE ANOTHER PERSON DEFENDING THAT PERSON IS USUALLY THEIR NUMBER 1 ANTAGONIST THAT THEY CANNOT LEAVE EACH OTHER ALONE! OR DO I SMELL A SOCK
KINETIC IV?

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”