No-Dig Ground Screw?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

No-Dig Ground Screw?

Post by Elliot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Any experience with this sort of mail-box anchor? It goes 21 inches into the ground. I wonder whether muscle power is enough? (Of course... "Give me a long enough lever....", but as a practical matter?)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mayne-No-Di ... ed3dba7960

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Re: No-Dig Ground Screw?

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:16 pm

I was thinking the same thing about muscle power. And a longer lever might bend the rebar making it impossible to remove.
They designed what looks like the best location for the lever to be inserted, but one would lose the potential depth unless one removed a about 5 inches of playa (need room for hands) in a circle where the lever would need to travel. No way to fashion some driver as is used on normal augers...it would surely bend the plates that hold the 4x4.

There is no mention of the gauge of the steel.
Anyone up for a JuPlaya test?
ground anchor Mayne.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:03 pm

If the rebar did not give you enough torque, you could insert the rebar in the drive holes and fabricate a two tined fork with an L shaped handle that fits over the rebar so the 2 tines of the fork contacted the rebar. The fork handle could be as long and strong as you need and all pressure on the rebar none on the supports.
But try it as purchased first.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm

I’m so skeptical of anything that sounds so slick and easy ...

Pretty sure it would work great in the middle of a golf course putting green, but on a hard-packed, sun baked clay oven playa?

The clay I have on the ranch would mangle that up in a heartbeat. Heck, it mangles and eats u-joints on my 9” Auger with carbide bits off the ol 40Hp PTO ...

Skeptical ...

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

For $27, this is slightly cheaper than an AEA PE-26. It's actually excellent penetrator geometry. The drive scheme is a bit silly, but I could make an adapter for impact driving.

To be honest, I'm intrigued. I have ordered one for evaluation.

I'm not sure if this exact article is Playa appropriate, but I'll be happy to test it at either Memorial Day or Juplaya.

I am eager to see how it was manufactured.
Sarge

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 am

Whatever you bring, please don't bring something like this. While highly effective, if you drive this puppy in, the only way you will get it out is by excavating a big damn hole. Most are too lazy to do that and will say "fuck it" and it becomes part of the MOOP count.

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Well it arrived and I'm intrigued! It's a hollow welded-up assembly of mild steel that's been galvanized, which gives it some unique properties.

I'm going to cross post to FIGJAM's main thread.

Sextant will definitely test this on our next round.

Sarge

Drizzt321
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Drizzt321 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 am

I imagine those very large, wide screws would work, if driven all the way in. But they're going to be a PAIN to get in there since they're so wide, especially once you get down below ~6". Why not just use 3/8" or 1/2" 12-18" (depending on need) lag screws with an impact driver? Much, MUCH easier and faster, and they'll go flush to the ground unlike that one.

If you're doing very large/tall structures, you'll want something else other than any of these.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”