Foam(?) for keeping dust out through large weird shaped gaps?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Foam(?) for keeping dust out through large weird shaped gaps?

Post by sparr » Sat May 26, 2018 4:40 pm

I want to keep dust from blowing freely between various parts of my vehicle, and inside some large equipment. I've got a bunch of gaps and voids to fill, ranging in size from 2x8" to 20x20", but with arbitrary shapes and cutouts. I don't want to fill them permanently, so spray foam is out. My thought is to get something like seat cushion foam and cut it a bit oversized, then squeeze it into place. Anyone have suggestions of what specific type of foam to use, or some alternate approach? I'm especially interested in foam that is not completely airtight, so that some air can circulate and the thickness of the foam would serve as a big dust filter.

Here's an example of two such gaps that need filling: Image
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Foam(?) for keeping dust out through large weird shaped gaps?

Post by burner von braun » Sat May 26, 2018 9:24 pm

If by chance it turns out that you can't find appropriate foam that meets all your needs, then I'm inclined to think that you may want to consider not worrying about airflow in those spots, and use a more rigid foam. Then for airflow, cut some rectangular window outlets in your plywood, and build some sort of framed furnace filter type plug-in that attaches readily to the more standard shaped openings you've created. You could have addition types of plugins on hand, a solid cover for example, or leave it open at times so you can pass a wrench or Salamander cocktails through to the next compartment.

..or

If you want to leave the plywood as is, perhaps strategically place a short lengthed segment of large diameter PVC pipe into the weird gaps, and surround them tightly with regular foam to fill the void. Then you can deal with airflow using the newly established standard PVC size opening, perhaps even using a small fan and filter to help the process.
Last edited by burner von braun on Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 pm

The price you save by using some inexpensive or free upholstery cushion foam can be spent on an oxygen monitor alarm for safety in sealed spaces. You can just throw some fabric over the foam for aesthetics. Playa dust is smaller than any filter, but opening the door will let more in than will travel through foam at equal pressure inside and out.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sun May 27, 2018 3:45 am

Spray foam inside a plastic bag, filling the gap?
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Sun May 27, 2018 4:22 pm

An extra long body pillow.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 am

C4 would mold right in there.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 am

If you got rid of the division wall entirely you could drag your Zorb inside the bus and inflate it. Should work nicely to seal all those pesky, irregular gaps, and it would help to insulate you from any complicated social interactions.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:C4 would mold right in there.

:lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Mon May 28, 2018 2:36 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:If you got rid of the division wall entirely you could drag your Zorb inside the bus and inflate it. Should work nicely to seal all those pesky, irregular gaps, and it would help to insulate you from any complicated social interactions.
Already have plenty of room to inflate a 2m zorb. 2.5m would hit the ceiling, but not the corners, so it wouldn't seal the gaps in the corners :(
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”