Burning Post-ACL Surgery?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
s_ting
Burning Since: 2016

Burning Post-ACL Surgery?

Post by s_ting » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed before (I tried to search with little success), but I am curious to hear if anyone else has had experience with attending the burn post-ACL surgery.

A little background on my situation, I completely ruptured my ACL and also tore my meniscus. I am currently in the "prehab" phase and surgery for ACL replacement and meniscus repair is currently scheduled for July 2nd, giving me about seven weeks post-op before I head out from Boston.

My attendance will absolutely depend on how I feel, how surgery goes, and how my doctor feels, but I was hoping to hear from others who may have personally, or known anyone, who experienced something similar and how they coped.

I had asked my doctor his initial thoughts on the fact that I'll be biking, etc., and he said "get a four wheeler," so it appears he's mainly concerned about the amount of biking I would be doing and if I potentially fell.

Grateful for any insights appreciated!

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Burning Post-ACL Surgery?

Post by pedroescobar » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:01 am

7 weeks? Probably not a good idea. There are too many variables out there.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:45 am

Speculating, thoughts:
  • Incision fully healed. Playa dust includes playa aquatic micro-fauna eggs or dead body parts, bacteria normally on the playa, bacteria deposited by migratory birds, and the bacteria in the water that the water trucks spray on the dusty BRC roads. Those and the minerals in the playa soil can lead to something called Playa Lung in some people. There are reports quoted on eplaya with the various minerals and bacteria levels measured on-Playa if you need those. Do NOT wash off behind a road-watering truck!
  • Cramped flight out to Reno?
  • BRC at ~4,000', temperature range can (and has) included from just above freezing through to 95F and sometimes to 105F, and both result in density altitude (air pressure of that altitude). So with those night/day temperature swings, you can also be looking at 6,000'(+) density altitude swings. Any of that going to affect inflammation/swelling/pain/function/healing?
  • Wind while walking can easily reach 35 mph, sometimes to 70 mph, and more rarely (thankfully) to 100 mph. What would be the affect of the unusual loads on you as you fight to balance? Be prepared to hunker down somewhere, and not where you'll be run over by a vehicle moving in a dusty white out.
  • Four-wheel and BRC disability vehicle (application/permit needed?) vs. three-wheeled adult trike and electric assist that qualifies as an e-bike.
  • There's a at least one camp that provides disability rides at BRC. Google, Survival Guide or some one will chime in here? Not as fun as being able to go anywhere, whenever, on whim, but lots of people go to BRC and stay at their camp (nearly) the whole time (running it or entertaining visitors), or visit/assist at the camps surrounding them. You'd be in the "stay at" group, plus whatever rides you could obtain while there. Wouldn't hurt to carry a disability card/sign to hold up with your thumb to hitchhike around the playa.
Do search eplaya for issues people found for all types of surgery. You (your doctor) can decide what may apply.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:22 am

7 weeks - not enough time IMO.

Think about what kind of surgery it is and ask yourself if that harvested tendon they are screwing in that needs to last you a lifetime is more important than a party in the middle of nowhere in the now. Lifetime of tendon vs party now.

My wife had an ACL replaced with meniscus repair and it was a good 2 months of me driving her to physical therapy, then another month before she could hobble around.

The Playa will be there next year, and next year, and next year ...

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks all for the thoughts--appreciate it. My initial thought was also that seven weeks is too soon and that the conditions would be too harsh for my body at that time. I will see how surgery goes and how I feel after during the rehab period. I'm really hoping for a quick and painless recovery time. I have a good team of doctors and physical therapists behind me. I am an aerialist, so getting back to my art fully is more important to me than making it back out to the playa this year (unfortunately), and will play a large part in my decision.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm

I tore my meniscus July 6, 2005. I scheduled my arthroscopic surgery for September 24, 2005...after the Burn. Was it painful...yeah, but not debilitating. I was able to walk short distances and ride my bike. Your ACL surgery is prolly much more invasive, so can't help you there. Also, everyone's pain thresholds are different depending on the severity of the injury.

BTW, a 3-wheeler (adult trike) will do, also. Check with elliotsbikes.org...we might have one for you.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Stinger,
sorry to hear of your injury. That is no fun and can be tough on your emotion esp for a physically active person. Take care of yourself and line up some reading/projects/whatever to occupy your downtime. You could always sell your ticket last minute, depending how you'll feel. Every surgery and recovery is different and 7 weeks is a gray area. If you do end up going, WEAR YOUR BRACE and carry the crutch, even if you don't feel like you need it...It will help randos from bumping into you or doing anything weird like spraying your back with water, roping you with
a lasso, spanking you with a dildo, or all other strange things that happen out there.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm

:D
You rang?
S_ting and I are already connected. She has been riding our Perk Bikes for several years! A wonderful loyal supporter of our bike repair efforts, she is.

But seven weeks does sound too short a time, regardless of how many wheels her vehicle has. Too important long term, as was already pointed out.

By the way, I tore my left meniscus ON PLAYA in 2016. Loud noise. No, not from my throat -- from the knee! Sounded like a dry tree-branch snapping. A mixture of crack! and bang!. Good fun. :mrgreen:

The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Post by The Rat Lady » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 pm

It can be done, but requires careful planning.
Look at the Info for Mobility Camp (at mobilitycamp(dot)org.)
Consider camping with us. We will have one Camper this year post bilateral knee replacement surgery (one at a time) so it is a possibility.

I would recommend bringing a mobility scooter, for when you have walked more than enough for one day! Properly prepared, so it doesn't die by Tue!
and if you don't camp with us , Take advantage of our services. Our "OOOH Shiney" tours that go out 4 times a day, starting at 5:45 am! The Mobility impaired always have priority on our tours. The ARTery tours for the Mobility Impaired also stage from our Camp. There will be some Art Cars dropping by Camp to pick up folks as well this year.

Good Luck!

Rat Lady
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 am

dragonpilot wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm
I tore my meniscus July 6, 2005. I scheduled my arthroscopic surgery for September 24, 2005...after the Burn. Was it painful...yeah, but not debilitating. I was able to walk short distances and ride my bike. Your ACL surgery is prolly much more invasive, so can't help you there. Also, everyone's pain thresholds are different depending on the severity of the injury.

BTW, a 3-wheeler (adult trike) will do, also. Check with elliotsbikes.org...we might have one for you.
I've been contemplating whether or not I should push surgery off post-burn but I think I would go crazy. I just want to start recovering, mostly because I want to get back to training normally. We are looking into modding a trike so that my boyfriend can pedal me and I can just sit, but having a difficult time finding a good base trike to use that isn't $500+
asr9754 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:57 pm
Stinger,
sorry to hear of your injury. That is no fun and can be tough on your emotion esp for a physically active person. Take care of yourself and line up some reading/projects/whatever to occupy your downtime. You could always sell your ticket last minute, depending how you'll feel. Every surgery and recovery is different and 7 weeks is a gray area. If you do end up going, WEAR YOUR BRACE and carry the crutch, even if you don't feel like you need it...It will help randos from bumping into you or doing anything weird like spraying your back with water, roping you with
a lasso, spanking you with a dildo, or all other strange things that happen out there.
Thank you thank you! I definitely will bring crutches and a brace. People are so much more cognizant of their movements around me when I have those with me. My PT is most concerned about if others will run into me and whatnot, so he is advising me not to go. To be honest I wouldn't mind just sitting at camp for the full week I guess... We have a couple virgins coming with us and I just want to be there and see their faces light up with joy when they step on to the playa. SIGH.
Elliot wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm
:D
You rang?
S_ting and I are already connected. She has been riding our Perk Bikes for several years! A wonderful loyal supporter of our bike repair efforts, she is.

But seven weeks does sound too short a time, regardless of how many wheels her vehicle has. Too important long term, as was already pointed out.

By the way, I tore my left meniscus ON PLAYA in 2016. Loud noise. No, not from my throat -- from the knee! Sounded like a dry tree-branch snapping. A mixture of crack! and bang!. Good fun. :mrgreen:
Hi! Now you know why I am no longer looking for bikes this year! Hah. Will respond to you PM soon :)
The Rat Lady wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 pm
It can be done, but requires careful planning.
Look at the Info for Mobility Camp (at mobilitycamp(dot)org.)
Consider camping with us. We will have one Camper this year post bilateral knee replacement surgery (one at a time) so it is a possibility.

I would recommend bringing a mobility scooter, for when you have walked more than enough for one day! Properly prepared, so it doesn't die by Tue!
and if you don't camp with us , Take advantage of our services. Our "OOOH Shiney" tours that go out 4 times a day, starting at 5:45 am! The Mobility impaired always have priority on our tours. The ARTery tours for the Mobility Impaired also stage from our Camp. There will be some Art Cars dropping by Camp to pick up folks as well this year.

Good Luck!

Rat Lady
Thank you! I have looked into the website and am grateful for all that you guys do. A newfound appreciation for me, I must admit. We don't have access to a genny so that is also our other challenge we're trying to work around. I would definitely like to go on some art tours!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am

s_ting wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 am
We are looking into modding a trike so that my boyfriend can pedal me and I can just sit, but having a difficult time finding a good base trike to use that isn't $500+
All right... RhoadesCar it is. Stand by for PM.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am

I worked in med school knee surgery research. We did a lot on ACL and PCL. I know many aerial dancers.

Risks are dependent on the repair. Discuss with your surgeon the risks. Around the house and neighborhood is one thing. The possible extremes in BRC are another.

As a veteran burner, you know there is a lot of BRC walking. Tricycles minimize the risk of bicycle knee twists hitting dust dunes which could seriously reverse your surgery. Consider ebike assist. If right up to the burn you think you could benefit from crutches or arm crutches, bring.

Generally exercise is good for recovery, but in the right amount! We sacrificed a lot of animal models to prove that. That is why I do not work today in animal model research.

You are an athlete. I'm proud of my comments advising an athlete Carolina Kostner on ePlaya who made great things, profile deleted. The original video was from an ePlayan at Black Rock Roller Disco. She was skating a memorial to a lost friend. I advised her to talk to your trainer, talk to your doctor.

Bottom line: body repair is never as good as the original despite what the medical-industral complex will claim. Preserve your athletic ability!

Olympic athlete Kostner mentioned who participated:

Last edited by some seeing eye on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Elliot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am
Elliot engaged!

Seen a few trikes with a seat (with back) replacing the rear basket. Make sure you can balance/sit in it without a 'driver' on their seat. Something to put your feet on so you're not having to hold them up. With the 5 mph rule, the seat can be raised high enough to keep your feet up without having to stick straight out, as you shouldn't be going fast enough for your weight on a raised seat to have COG tip the trike on a turn. Slow down anyways. Check all mods with Elliot.

If adding electric for playa use, remember the 5 mph rule means you can do it for less $ than you'd need to knock around a city/town at e-bike speeds. A 12 VDC deep cycle battery may be sufficient, and a lot cheaper than a 36 or 48 VDC lithium pack. A lot heavier too, but you're only moving it around at up to 5 mph. You could even make a mini-trailer for the battery.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Darn right I engaged! S_ting and her boyfriend belong to my camp's extended family.
And my RhoadesCar has been used for the same purpose many times already. And it has extra low gears.
Hmmm.... I also have a pedal-rickshaw. Maybe I ought to take that one out of mothballs this year.

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am
I worked in med school knee surgery research. We did a lot on ACL and PCL. I know many aerial dancers.

Risks are dependent on the repair. Discuss with your surgeon the risks. Around the house and neighborhood is one thing. The possible extremes in BRC are another.

As a veteran burner, you know there is a lot of BRC walking. Tricycles minimize the risk of bicycle knee twists hitting dust dunes which could seriously reverse your surgery. Consider ebike assist. If right up to the burn you think you could benefit from crutches or arm crutches, bring.

Generally exercise is good for recovery, but in the right amount! We sacrificed a lot of animal models to prove that. That is why I do not work today in animal model research.

You are an athlete. I'm proud of my comments advising an athlete Carolina Kostner on ePlaya who made great things, profile deleted. The original video was from an ePlayan at Black Rock Roller Disco. She was skating a memorial to a lost friend. I advised her to talk to your trainer, talk to your doctor.

Bottom line: body repair is never as good as the original despite what the medical-industral complex will claim. Preserve your athletic ability!

Olympic athlete Kostner mentioned who participated:

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING AND INSPIRING. I loved watching her during the Olympics this year and this just made my heart swell. I will definitely bring crutches and a brace. I will be resisting temptation to climb.... anything, really, and definitely won't be playing on any aerial rigs this year. I do hope that the initial weeks post-op go well and give me a better sense of how I will fare. So much anxiety just sitting here and waiting! Also, never in a million years did I think i would injure my knee of all things. Would have put money on my first major injury being a shoulder injury instead, hah.
Canoe wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 pm
Elliot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am
Elliot engaged!

Seen a few trikes with a seat (with back) replacing the rear basket. Make sure you can balance/sit in it without a 'driver' on their seat. Something to put your feet on so you're not having to hold them up. With the 5 mph rule, the seat can be raised high enough to keep your feet up without having to stick straight out, as you shouldn't be going fast enough for your weight on a raised seat to have COG tip the trike on a turn. Slow down anyways. Check all mods with Elliot.

If adding electric for playa use, remember the 5 mph rule means you can do it for less $ than you'd need to knock around a city/town at e-bike speeds. A 12 VDC deep cycle battery may be sufficient, and a lot cheaper than a 36 or 48 VDC lithium pack. A lot heavier too, but you're only moving it around at up to 5 mph. You could even make a mini-trailer for the battery.
Hello again Canoe! Thank you always for the sage advice. And boy am I glad Elliot engaged! Sounds like his RhoadesCar or rickshaw will be my best friend this year.
Elliot wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:14 pm
Darn right I engaged! S_ting and her boyfriend belong to my camp's extended family.
And my RhoadesCar has been used for the same purpose many times already. And it has extra low gears.
Hmmm.... I also have a pedal-rickshaw. Maybe I ought to take that one out of mothballs this year.
I have never felt more hopeful about attending the burn this year than right now. Thank you Elliot!

Truly appreciate both the broader burner community and the ePlaya community so, so, much right now. I've been a blubbering mess since the injury and receiving this type of support means the world. Gives me more motivation to make sure rehab post-op goes well!

Also greatly appreciate seeing the same folks who have helped advise me during my first burn here giving me advice again. I'm getting sentimental here (in case in a freak accident I die during surgery or something) and want you all to know I kind of love you all.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Bashful -500x500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:34 pm

That surgery is expensive. Negotiate with your medical provider/insurance weekly experience and advice. Honor your engagement in ePlaya.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Having just scheduled a labrum tear repair for early July, I feel your pain with regard to being only partially recovered in time for the burn this year. Good luck, whatever you decide.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”