Firespinning fuel of choice on the playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
casualchris

Firespinning fuel of choice on the playa

Post by casualchris » Fri May 27, 2005 8:59 pm

Ok, I've searched and found a bunch of nothing.........

Is there a preferred fuel of choice for the fire conclave???

I ussually spin with naptha aka white gas, but I'm thinking for safety reasons kerosene/lampoil would be less explosive out on the playa but more damaging to the ground if you prespin prior to burning.

Anyone got any tips?

Links? I emailed the fireconclave email, but yet to hear a response.........

Thanks

ccCasualchriSss

Vego

Post by Vego » Sun May 29, 2005 10:05 am

Our group has always used white gas. Our perfomance is tailored around it though, as you well know white gas burns out much quicker so we have real high intensity shows with back to back to back performances. We do a lot of shows indoors here in *reality* so it has driven us to the cleaner burning fuel for the lower health hazards to the audience. I've been thinking about switching to kerosene for Burning Man for the extended burn time but frankly I don't know if all the group could handle the endurance factor with our spinning technique/speed. Of course with a little chemical mind/body alteration....anythings possible.
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

casualchris

Post by casualchris » Mon May 30, 2005 7:23 pm

I was mainly thinking of the "explosive" factor of whitegas, certainly it's my fuel of choice as it doesn't "burn dirty" and make your clothes all black (as if anyone who spins poi/staves doesnt have burn holes in virtually every piece of daily clothing they wear)

Kerosene would be MUCH safer to bring out near other burners, while naptha/white gas, i'm not so sure...........

What types of performances do you do???

cc

jbelson

Post by jbelson » Tue May 31, 2005 12:25 pm

I believe they had us you white gas for the "pulse" last year. I always use it anyhow.
Just keep it secured in a covered container.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer

Vego

Post by Vego » Tue May 31, 2005 5:46 pm

CChris, I've been spinning mostly poi with a little staff thrown in. I'm just learning right now and have only fire danced a few times in pubic, well outside of the family anyway, but my wife and I have been performing as percussionists and I'm the general electronic musician with Dragon Tribe and then OneFire for around 4 years now.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue May 31, 2005 7:20 pm

Dear Casual,

Personally I'm quite partial to hypergolic propellants. They can put on quite a show - especially if your spinning techniques are less than perfect. Even if you're not completely satidfied with your spinning performance i can assure you that your camp mates will be in total awe should things go um, less than ideal.

Hypergolic fuels commonly include hydrazine, monomethyl hydrazine (MMH) and unsymmetrical dimethyl hydrazine (UDMH) are good first choices for the neophyte poi spinner. The oxidizer portion of your fuel combo should include at least one of the following: nitrogen tetroxide (N2O4) or nitric acid (HNO3).

Hope this helps.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Vego

Post by Vego » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:11 pm

Badger,
where do you pick up rocket fuel these days anyway? Can you use it without mixing it with anything else? How much nitric acid? Is this a joke?Momma always said not to play with rocket fuel, so it sounds like fun to me.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

is diesel better/worse than kerosene?

Post by Tiahaar » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:46 pm

also the pyrophoric gases such as Silane would be useful in flame effects, no need for ignitors or pilots...slight toxicity concerns of course...

Vego wrote: Is this a joke?
of course
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

casualchris

Post by casualchris » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:15 pm

Yeah, I'd be carefull with those chemicals, extremely volitile and though they may make some nice colors, they certainly would be causing nerve damage if inhaled.......

I spun with some methelated spirits with saline mixed in, nice colour, but a bad 3 day hangover from the fumes...........

cc

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:24 pm

they certainly would be causing nerve damage if inhaled.......
As if that's anything new on the playa....
Desert dogs drink deep.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”