Boom

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Boom

Post by swampdog » Tue May 31, 2005 3:55 pm

I have a black powder "salute" cannon that I'd been planning to bring to the playa. The barrel is 7 inches long by about 3/4 of an inch, put about 2 tbs of black powder in it, pack it with some wadding (paper) and a nice long fuse, touch it off and you get the most satisfying KERWHAMBO!

It's pretty easy to be safe with it, it's not a firearm (doesn't shoot any projectile) and it's not a firework.

So my question - are LEOs likely to agree with my assessment that this is a legal noisemaker and not an illegal weapon? Leaving the playa in a paddy wagon is not in my plans. What about the BMORG? Besides being careful to be safe, should I also try to hide it from the powers that be? Or should I just forget about it and leave it home?

Thanks for any input.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Tue May 31, 2005 4:07 pm

I am guessing you are attempting to do this with the blessing of the powers that be. Is this going to be part of a display or artwork? If that is the case, the first stop is the Performance Safety Team. It just so happens we have a meeting tonight and I will pose the question to them. I do not reccommend it, but if you chose to shoot it at random, the BLM Rangers will make an attempt to find you. Night vision equipment etc. This would be classed as a pyro technic device. We have to make the BLM aware of all major fire art, burns and flame effect devices running on the Playa. They want to know when and where. If it is not on their list and the operator does not have the proper laminate they will shut down fire art.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

swampdog

Post by swampdog » Tue May 31, 2005 4:31 pm

My original thought was just to shoot it off at random. That's starting to sound like a bad idea. There's no performance around it, just the boom. Would it make sense for me to try to ask for a location where I can bang it off at fixed times? Say, an 8 pm sundowner daily? Maybe subject to an inspection?

Thanks for your help.

Vego

Post by Vego » Tue May 31, 2005 5:55 pm

I know it doesn't shoot projectiles but what about percussion? You see what I'm thinking is we can make this into art by maybe putting a 10 pin configuration of dumb ass GW dolls and blow 'em down! Or to more fit this years theme take a bigger single G Dub head and blow the surprisingly empty Psyche out of his head. That's it isn't it, the SS is on my lawn now, great, now I've done it. I'm talking paper maché here guys, freedom of speech hey now INCOMING.....
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue May 31, 2005 6:39 pm

My uncle wheeled one of these out every year for 4th of July and as I seem to remember they do leave a very big trace (not all of the wadding is burned, and the wadding that is burned is still ashy and abundant).

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 31, 2005 8:21 pm

We have a gas cannon around the house. Pump in compressed gas and fire. Big bang. Used to chase birds away. Should I bring it?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Tue May 31, 2005 10:46 pm

At the PST meeting tonight it was made clear that in order to fire the cannon we will have to let the BLM know what you are doing it. You would need to fill out the forms for an art proposal and submit it. It will be run by the person in charge of pyro at the event. We do not see any obvious reason you would be turned down.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

swampdog

Thanks!

Post by swampdog » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:03 am

Thanks Dustdevil! That's great info. I'll fill out the proposal shortly -umm, top of my head, daily salutes from a burn platform at about sundown. Jon, anyone else - let me know if you want to get in on the noize and I'll include it in the proposal.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Thanks!

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:25 am

swampdog wrote:Thanks Dustdevil! That's great info. I'll fill out the proposal shortly -umm, top of my head, daily salutes from a burn platform at about sundown. Jon, anyone else - let me know if you want to get in on the noize and I'll include it in the proposal.

~
Will have my son get the cannon ready to go. No moop with this one just big boom.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”