Don't fuck up your burn with expectations

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Don't fuck up your burn with expectations

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:14 pm

Somebody told me Larry Harvey once warned that your worst burn is your second one becsause you arrive with the most expectations. Since this will be #2 for me I shall do the following outside my car window as I drive there this year:

1. Put out hand, palm up
2. Clench fist and hold an expectation tightly in it
3. Flip hand over
4. Release expectation
5. Repeat thousands of times or until an oncoming truck takes my arm off

Happy burn, everybody.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

HughMungus

Re: Don't fuck up your burn with expectations

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:29 pm

I think the best way to make your second burn as good as you want it to be is to change gears from participant to enabler: do a greeter shift, help other people setup their camps, meet your neighbors, give/gift in ways you didn't the first time because you didn't know any better.
It's what you make it.

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:12 am

I did my Twobie year last time, and can see what the fear is....I brought a HUGE structure, alone, didn't get it all assembled, and spent half of my time making artifacts for people. Still had a helluva time, but learned LOTS about expectations and my own capabilities.

Mr. J-Fish has the right idea...get yer really cool stuff built NOW- Enjoy it LATER.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:00 am

I expect to be very dusty. I expect that there will be wind. I expect that I will have things to do. I expect that I might meet some great people. I expect that I might be dismayed at the behavior of some others. I expect to be able to chalk it up to the human condition. I expect to drink some weird booze. I expect, at a certian undefined moment to ask myself what the fuck am I doing here? I expect to be able to answer that question with complete certainty.

Unrealistic expectations are a bane, no bout adout it.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:28 am

My second year was way better than my first year. This year will be number 6 and I'm still loving it, each year is very different for sure.

I don't think Mr Jelly will have any problems this year with miniman along for the ride.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:23 pm

Wakawaka wrote: I don't think Mr Jelly will have any problems this year with miniman along for the ride.
He looks so sad in my garage. He wants to be free to roam the playa. Last night I caught him trying to escape. Bad MiniMan.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:02 am

Miniman DID get out....he had a walk-on in my dream last night. Burning Man was being secretly held in a field with some big aircraft hangers or similar buildings....the Man and his circus tent were in one of them, and people were scurrying to finish the maze although I think it was already Saturday afternoon. At one point I walked past hundreds of cars and RVs, all parked impossibly close together. I always seemed to be walking away from something big and interesting. (Just like the real thing!) Cue MiniM, who by some trick of perspective was silhouetted against the horizon next to the Big Man (somehow out of his hanger, now.) and dwarfing him. You'd have been proud of the commotion that ensued.
Robotland's Alter Ego

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:40 am

It is really hard to not have expectations, even when you think you've done away with then there is always something lurking in your subconscious. Last year I found myself feeling depressed about not having made any personal connections of unrealistic depth, or meeting a soul mate. I'd thought I'd let go of all that but there it was. A camp mate brought me out of it and I was able to enjoy the rest of the burn for what it was as things presented themselves to me.

I've heard other stories of people working hard on a sculpture and putting it out on the playa. They didn't receive the responses to it that they had expected and it was a terrible blow at first months after the burn they were able to work themselves out of it, realizing the important thing was that they put themselves out there and it was a valuable experience.

All in all you will have more fun and will benefit from the experience more if you can separate anticipation from expectations.
Your trip is Your Trip, at burning man as in the default world, things don't go as planed, people can be as creepy, not every body will get what your doing and you might still have that loneliness in the crowd. That said it is still a magic place where incredible things can happen if your open to them. Don't look for something see what's around you.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:24 am

Zulegoona wrote:you will have more fun and will benefit from the experience more if you can separate anticipation from expectations.
That’s a great way to put it, Z. As it gets closer to August, I can feel the excitement growing. And when I sit with the folks I went with last year (who are going again this year plus a few more), we wind up telling stories that we've mostly all heard already and you can’t help but thinking about what you’ll find there this time around. I think it's a good thing to wonder and let your mind run with it. But defining the difference between anticipation and expectations seems a healthy practice to me, if not the key approach.

I’ll be excited if I find some familiar things lurking out there in the dusty night, but if I don’t that’s ok too. Whatever I find, however, I feel safe in saying that I can again go out into deep playa at night, turn around, look, and say to myself, “I’m not on Earth anymore”.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 am

LeChatNoir wrote:... turn around, look, and say to myself, “I’m not on Earth anymore”.
I say this everytime I hit the playa. I'm a native Northwesterner and it's all greens and blues up here, but every year when I arrive I feel as if I've landed on Mars.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:28 am

I expect to learn more about how to get the message of excremental correctness out this year, as I do every year. I expect to come to the Playa wanting to enjoy the festival more, but usually wind up working myself into the ground. I expect to enjoy myself more this year than last, because I'm bringing less emotional luggage.

This year I expect more ePlayan's to come and save me from myself, and show me a good time.

So there nyah!
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:47 pm

(Again, whipping out the note pad)

Pry robbidobbs away from portapotties

Remember, there's a fine line between dedication and obsession...
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:36 pm

SOunds like a job for... the chipmunks!!

Simon... Theodore... ALVIN!!!

When all else fails, sing!!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:41 pm

Zulegoona wrote:Last year I found myself feeling depressed about not having made any personal connections of unrealistic depth, or meeting a soul mate.
I could have sworn I posted this thought already, but, one thing I've done is changed my perception of Burning Man not as an event but as the culmination of a year of Burning Man activities. That is, it takes a year to get ready and get out there and that is a lot of what Burning Man is to me now (not to mention your Burning Man friends and the other Burning Man goings-on during the other 358 days of the year). Thinking of Burning Man as an "event" is like thinking of New Year's Eve/Day as an event. It's not so much an event in itself as a reflection of what you've done the rest of the year. To me, preparing for it is fun/useful/interesting/exciting (thank god for the ePlaya and the mailing lists and all their smart/interesting/fun/knowledgable people).
the important thing was that they put themselves out there and it was a valuable experience.
Oh hell yeah. I'd much rather try and fail than not try at all.
It's what you make it.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:19 pm

Too right, everybody, too right. I was painting some art with rattle cans in my garage tonight and I was in my bliss. Even when it occured to me that it will be covered in playa dust by the end, it just makes me smile to myself. Having expectations for the playa is like deciding what to dream tonight, unless you are KampKalamazoo :)

It's safe to say that we are at Burning Man right now, were' just not there yet.

Mr. Mellow

Post by Mr. Mellow » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:14 am

robbidobbs wrote:I expect to learn more about how to get the message of excremental correctness out this year, as I do every year.
Best of luck on your noble mission. People are too used to others cleaning up after them, that's a huge hurdle.
Mr. Mellow is a professional janitor. He knows more about porta-potties than you do.

Janka

Post by Janka » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:20 am

This will be my second year too. To be honest, I am more nervous about it than I was last year, or nervous on a deeper level, maybe. Last year, I worried about the camping, about surviving the heat and wind, about leave-no-trace, water and food and shade. Not so much about the content - it was "go there and see what it's like and if we like it".

This year, I know I did like it, and while I try not to have any specific expectations about it, I cannot help but expect it to be a great experience, and worry about whether that will happen again. Of course, it is unrealistic to expect that the playa turns into a boring environment and all burners into morons over the course of just one year, but this is not so much about rational beliefs anyway.

And I also worry if I manage to make the place as welcoming to this year's newbies as my neighbours made it for me last year. I am not a completely outgoing and spontaneously friendly person...

MrMullen

Second year too!

Post by MrMullen » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:17 pm

I went last year, but not for the full amount.

This year I think I have a good schedule and involvement lined up. First off, I am joining a camp so I can get involved here in San Diego and help at BM. That way, I can also get a shower, some shade and hang out with cool people the entire time.

My whole goal is too aim low and not expect too much. Make sure I don't set myself up for failure and all that.
--
Mr Mullen

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 am

Time to bump this thread.

There are so many excited first-timers this year. I'd hate for expectations to not be met and ruin their burn.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:30 am

Sweet bump.. and some very good advice.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:33 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:Time to bump this thread.

There are so many excited first-timers this year. I'd hate for expectations to not be met and ruin their burn.
well for this first timer is not whats going to be there, for all i care it is just a big party in the desert and too hot/dusty/loud/big for me too enjoy any of it. All i really care about is getting there. thats enough
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:16 am

I've hit the year where I'm more dismayed at the amount of work, consumed by what I don't have done and cannot do this year. What's bad is I don't do any of the heavy lifting, our camp is small and we have almost everything ready, so my excuses are not far past the perimeter of my own skin and skull. This weekend is the regional, and I do look forward to that. I think part of it is I am isolated from the community for long stretches, with Larry's work schedule we are no longer immersed in burner culture like we were initially. While Larry was in trucker school, we burned as often as possible. The death of my brother in 2008 took more out of me than I realized, he was the burner who never was and I burned for him. I've not been able to go near the Temple for a couple years now.

I'll be fine after the first hug. The Utah burn is this weekend, and we wont' be rained out and freezing like last year.

I guess one can have too many expectations of the wrong kind also. These are harder to let go of, as they're based in experience.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 am

Yes, indeedy. Self-expectations have a habit of mounting up this time of year. My friend Irish coined the phrase "Artistic Triage" and it's a good thing to observe around now. One thing that helps our crew is a cardboard box (and folder on the computer) labeled "2012 Ideas". We get so in the "flow" of creativity that it often exceeds our capability in such a limited time. Don't we all have enough on our plate after all?

So please consider taking the ideas, even good ones, that would take a monumental force of will to pull off and just bring them to the burn in your 2012 box. See how they stack up with what's going on out there this year, embrace them, and let them drift for a while. The good ones will eventually rise the the top.

As for other crew members/camp mates, some may just not be coming on line with creative ideas but don't let them derail your train-- "it's JULY, fuckers!". New ideas can be chatted up, celebrated, then put in the box to read around November, yes? When I'm really focused I sometimes forget to validate the personal and creative energy that goes into a new idea, yet it's all part of working with amazingly creative folks.

Here's looking forward to what makes it out this year, especially you.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Yes, indeedy. Self-expectations have a habit of mounting up this time of year. My friend Irish coined the phrase "Artistic Triage" and it's a good thing to observe around now. One thing that helps our crew is a cardboard box (and folder on the computer) labeled "2012 Ideas". We get so in the "flow" of creativity that it often exceeds our capability in such a limited time. Don't we all have enough on our plate after all?

So please consider taking the ideas, even good ones, that would take a monumental force of will to pull off and just bring them to the burn in your 2012 box. See how they stack up with what's going on out there this year, embrace them, and let them drift for a while. The good ones will eventually rise the the top.

As for other crew members/camp mates, some may just not be coming on line with creative ideas but don't let them derail your train-- "it's JULY, fuckers!". New ideas can be chatted up, celebrated, then put in the box to read around November, yes? When I'm really focused I sometimes forget to validate the personal and creative energy that goes into a new idea, yet it's all part of working with amazingly creative folks.

Here's looking forward to what makes it out this year, especially you.

you, are a God...................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

HandJamMasterC
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Post by HandJamMasterC » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:09 am

I thought my 2nd Burn was much better than my 1st. Our first Burn ( in 2008 ) found us overwhelmed, like deer in the headlights! Our EZ - Ups nearly blew away in that 5 hour 70 MPH dust storm ( my dinner blew out of my bowl and off my fork before I could eat it ). And we discovered that " special brownies " are a serious mistake when you don't know where the Hell you are to begin with.

In contrast, year 2 found us styl'n under 3 carports !

CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/

Smenkare

Re:

Post by Smenkare » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:53 am

[quote="Sensei"][quote="LeChatNoir"]... turn around, look, and say to myself, [i]“I’m not on Earth anymore”.[/i][/quote]
I say this everytime I hit the playa. I'm a native Northwesterner and it's all greens and blues up here, but every year when I arrive I feel as if I've landed on Mars.[/quote]

I'm affraid of waking up to a cloudless sky and a dry lake bed stretching before me vast and tree-less to the black rock mountains and that I'll freak out because there is no water, no moss, no moisture, no cedars or sea only to wonder for that brief moment if I've wandered into the Paths of Dust and Bone and then promptly having one of those hysterical virgin melt-down-moments running out into the middle of the desert until that inevitable reality check when I clothesline myself on the trash fence.
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.

Asherbeez
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Re:

Post by Asherbeez » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

Smenkare wrote:then promptly having one of those hysterical virgin melt-down-moments running out into the middle of the desert until that inevitable reality check when I clothesline myself on the trash fence.
It'd probably be more of a crotch shot... Just sayin...
Dancing is a state of mind and may not even involve movement at all.
~Simon of the Playa

Smenkare

Post by Smenkare » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:11 am

Are we speaking from experience here?
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am

Asherbeez wrote:
Smenkare wrote:then promptly having one of those hysterical virgin melt-down-moments running out into the middle of the desert until that inevitable reality check when I clothesline myself on the trash fence.
It'd probably be more of a crotch shot... Just sayin...
Maybe he likes to run in a crouching position like a Russian dancer, or duck-walk, like Chuck Berry only at top speed?

(Whatever it is, I wanna see.)

Kidding aside, this is a great thread. I'm getting accustomed to letting go of my expectations, but I think that's because my daily life is very predictable (which is both good and bad). And some part of me craves waking up every day out there with no concept of what the day will bring, beyond noise and dust.

Of all the statements above, this is one of my favorites:
Don't look for something. See what's around you.
I punctuated it. I admit it.

Asherbeez
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Asherbeez » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am

Are we speaking from experience here?
Oh definitely, let's just say things got wild at one of the trash fence parties last year. Those are always the craziest shindigs!
Dancing is a state of mind and may not even involve movement at all.
~Simon of the Playa

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”