Gift Tins

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Catblack

Gift Tins

Post by Catblack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:06 pm

Hey all, just wanted to share a dumpster score with you:

http://actionhour.net/eyesopenaction/bm2005/tins2a

About 350 altiods tins, empty. I have no idea who obsessivly collected them, but they threw them away and I knew that dumpster was gold coz I saw it glowing from blocks away.

Painting them and planning on gifting them away, with a folded mini comic inside -- which shouldn't become insta-moop

In cleaning them, I thought one of them had some weed-crumbs inside, but it was a buncha dead ants.

See you all on the playa.
tomcat

HughMungus

Re: Gift Tins

Post by HughMungus » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:27 pm

NICE SCORE!

Those will be great gifts.

I *love* getting stuff out of the dumpster, especially furniture. In fact, tonight I'm bringing a pair of chairs from a dumpster over to a local vintage store. The guy there paints old furniture and sells it (something I'm hoping to do someday, myself, when I have more time and tools).

okcismelanie

Post by okcismelanie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:56 pm

That is a very good score-I love it! Someone must of put in an effort to have that many and keeping them all. I know that the empty containers have many many uses both on and off of BM. They will be a very awsome gift and I hope that we cross paths alone the way.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:50 am

I;ve covered those with fimo covers too. There's so much you can do with those tins. Peeps can also use them for butts.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:53 am

AntiM has a few she's covered in Decoupage for gifts as pocket ashtrays. They're very nice.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:07 am

Aw shucks. Guess what I was doing when I took a break and decided to brows eplaya ... maybe I shiould head over to the empath page, hmm?

(mock me, please)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:24 pm

AntiM
I am unable to mock someone so sweet and wise and who has had to go through so much the past couple of years.

So, i'll just say it was coincicence and that you make a rye joke. (Yeah it was about bread.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:47 pm

I made a swell vest with Altoids GUM tins...the smaller ones...pop riveted and GOOPed them on as extra pockets. I was thinking about making a Gift Garment, with Altoid pockets all over and each containing a gift- Like a wearable Advent calendar!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:10 pm

As I siad, ah shucks.

squish
Burning Since: 1999

Post by squish » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:54 am

The camp next to ours (in 2000?) made safe sex kits + put 'em in Altoids tins. Each contained a condom, lube, wet wipe, and glove.
Nice!

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:57 am

During WWII tuna cans had a key type opener. This type leaves a very shape rim. Hundreds and hundreds of troop were injured by them. The troops liked the cans for ash trays/butt kits while sitting out on the deck. The troop ships were packed with soldiers. So when a guy went to stand up, He would use a hand to stand. The injuries happened when he would lean on a can rim. The army asked the manufacturers to change designs.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

_fool

Post by _fool » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:10 am

robotland wrote:I made a swell vest with Altoids GUM tins...the smaller ones...pop riveted and GOOPed them on as extra pockets. I was thinking about making a Gift Garment, with Altoid pockets all over and each containing a gift- Like a wearable Advent calendar!
reminds me of something a campmate did at burning flipside (austin regional burn): a bandolero full of airplane-liquor bottles. i'm planning to duplicate that plan out on the playa this year. not quite as sneaky/surprising, but more potentially-usefully obvious (oops honey, i didn't see you over there--sure you can have one!)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”