Do Straight Guys let themselves...experiment a bit at BM?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
dav725

Do Straight Guys let themselves...experiment a bit at BM?

Post by dav725 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:08 pm

Just wondering, cause as a gay guy, doing my first burn, I met some very FRIENDLY straight guys....all with girlfriends and such. I always believed that straight people (especially guys) would let themselves have fun and experiment more with the same sex if it was more permissible in our society (like it is for girls on girls). Any thoughts?

seandee

Post by seandee » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:21 pm

I believe sexual identity is overrated and oversignified - I know of gay guys and gals who experiment as well, that being said... I relly don't think it should matter what a person's "professed" orientation is, if you score with someone who appears to be straight and that is your fantasy - cool. I personally think of myself as polymorphous perverse (a little humour at Freud's expense) and if the mood is right I don't care - this person is [these people are] beautiful, I am feeling beautiful, and we are in to the moment - just bag yer willie dammit. :wink:

tbone

Re: Do Straight Guys let themselves...experiment a bit at BM

Post by tbone » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:29 pm

dav725 wrote:Just wondering, cause as a gay guy, doing my first burn, I met some very FRIENDLY straight guys....all with girlfriends and such. I always believed that straight people (especially guys) would let themselves have fun and experiment more with the same sex if it was more permissible in our society (like it is for girls on girls). Any thoughts?
Every straight guy at the burn likes to suck cock now and then.
Either that or it depends on that particular guy.

There were at least 15,000 guys at the burn, which might translate to 13,000 or so straight guys. I doubt you can generalize about their sexuality to any degree of accuracy.

As for me, I have no interest in experimenting, and I've had enough opportunities by now to be very sure.

1 down, 12,999 to go in your survey.

Oh, one more data point. I had no straight guys hitting on me.

PetsUntilEaten

Post by PetsUntilEaten » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:56 pm

my two cents about straight guys I know - yes.

Booker

Post by Booker » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:59 pm

Camped with blyslv (who looks fucking ravishing in red velvet) at the Gender Blender Bar. I love the swish of a good broomstick skirt. No coitus though. Score it as you like.

Zane5100

Re: Do Straight Guys let themselves...experiment a bit at BM

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:19 am

dav725 wrote:Just wondering, cause as a gay guy, doing my first burn, I met some very FRIENDLY straight guys....all with girlfriends and such. I always believed that straight people (especially guys) would let themselves have fun and experiment more with the same sex if it was more permissible in our society (like it is for girls on girls). Any thoughts?
As a straight man, I don't find other men attractive in a sexual way when I'm at Burning Man, or any other place. My curiosity for experimentation in a sexual way is pretty much confined to what I'd do with a woman.

Nothing personal, but men don't turn my crank--women do.

And I like to be friendly... but friendly is not always a sexual invitation, as was pointed out to me when I was a younger man.

Do others experiment? I've known some that do, and some that don't. Like everything else, it's up to them and their tastes and desires.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

antron

Post by antron » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:29 am

like booker says, there was quite a bit of (at least light) experimentation with sexuality at the genderblender bar.

during the time i was there, there was only one time when people approached the bar and couldn't figure out what to do to hack gender.

my favorite was a group of about 6 that traded outfits completely with eachother. one of the guys learned how much hotpants grab your ass.

cheers,

antrony

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:15 am

Booker wrote:Camped with blyslv (who looks fucking ravishing in red velvet) at the Gender Blender Bar. I love the swish of a good broomstick skirt. No coitus though. Score it as you like.
Booker you're a BRUTE. Yes, that dress get major milage, but I've got to put some shoulder straps on it. I also got a lot of compliments on the bloomers you sewed for us.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

orlando

yum

Post by orlando » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:19 am

straight boys with gay boys with gay girls with straight girls...yum!

for most people it seems these lines are in fucks er... flux :twisted:

icarus

Post by icarus » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:37 pm

Dav, this straight guy did his part to experiment... Now, what I'd be interested to know is: Do Gay Guys experiment with women at BM?

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:51 pm

Um, yeah.

PetsUntilEaten

Post by PetsUntilEaten » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:54 pm

mmmmmm - gay guys - mmmmmmmm.

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:19 pm

Gender blending was a rewarding experience and the fulfillment of a desire that I have had for a while before burningman. Not because of the desire to find a male mate but because of the release from my traditional assumed or imposed masculine roles. It was a welcome momentary freedom from that identity, a reason many people cross dress regularly to my understanding.

I am not interested in casual sex nor am I particularly looking for a different sexual relationship than the one I am in but that doesn't keep me from considering many options. In that mode, it is certainly possible that I could experiment with the same sex IF there were a personal connection beyond the act, which is not likely with the depth of relationships that I currently know from burningman. That said, when I think about the mechanics, the ick factor creeps in and I think it might be like kissing my brother, my main frame of reference for a gay man.

icarus

Spokes-man

Post by icarus » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 am

Spokes wrote:Not because of the desire to find a male mate but because of the release from my traditional assumed or imposed masculine roles.
Thanks, Spokes. You hit it right on the head for me. That, and I like kissing, so pucker up!

(thanks, friendly guy with the confederate burning man flag)
Last edited by icarus on Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbone

Re: Spokes-man

Post by tbone » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:53 am

icarus wrote:btw, can someone explain to me how the fuck you get those nice quote things going with grey and all?...argh.
Open the quote with [ q u o t e ] and end it with [ / q u o t e ] (remove the spaces and don't forget the / in the end quote.

dav725

Yes, even gay guys experiment

Post by dav725 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:19 pm

icarus wrote:Dav, this straight guy did his part to experiment... Now, what I'd be interested to know is: Do Gay Guys experiment with women at BM?
Yes, absolutely, I can say from first...um, hand, experience, that gay guys experiment with women at Burning Man. And LIKED it. But not enough to change.

But thanks for asking!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:23 pm

...gay guys experiment with women at Burning Man. And LIKED it. But not enough to change.
As if change were possible. That'd be like asking the leopard to change its spots.

Or asking PJ to not think about sex.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:27 pm

Isotopia wrote:As if change were possible. That'd be like asking the leopard to change its spots.

Or asking PJ to not think about sex.
Or fisting cows...
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

icarus

T & C

Post by icarus » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:30 pm

Let me further answer your question by saying that all my experiements at BM were made, like everything i say...tongue and cheek. :wink:

Zane, clearly PJ likes his red meat medium rare--- still pink in the middle.

blyslv

Re: Yes, even gay guys experiment

Post by blyslv » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:33 pm

dav725 wrote:Yes, absolutely, I can say from first...um, hand, experience, that gay guys experiment with women at Burning Man. And LIKED it. But not enough to change.

But thanks for asking!
I'm just curious, I'm not trying to get anyone to change. But why and/or how did the gender of the hand change your experience? I mean if it was a reasonably skilled hand and the connection between the two of you was comfortable enough to allow for that kind of "instant" intimacy, why is gender important in that context? Maybe it's just a question of having a broader palette upon which to paint?

telizas

Post by telizas » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:51 pm

Even as a virgin (to BM) this year, I was impressed by the philosophy that BM is an experience *outside* everyday culture, and that the same "rules" didn't apply. even in every day life I try not to assign roles and paint lines for people as far as sexuality goes and I wish the would could always be like that. At BM, it just isn't the place to assume strict rules about sexuality.

That said, I should have spent more time at the Gender Blender bar and less time at Costco! Next year, I guess... :D
Well behaved women rarely make history.

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:01 pm

one of my campmates argyle ( very gay ) was ( very high ) on the night of the burn. he was fascinated with my nipples and my flowered panties and felt the need to feel me up extensively in front of my fiancee, who found the whole thing hilarious. i'm not sure if this can be considered experimenting - he was ( very embarrassed ) the next day.

the princess

icarus

meow

Post by icarus » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:16 pm

i love that, princess. thanks.

(nicely encapsulates so much of BM interactions and identity exploration-play)

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:18 pm

I should have spent more time at the Gender Blender bar
That my dear, is the most cogent, intelligent and beautiful thing I've read in a long time.

smooches!

evie

Post by evie » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:23 pm

In 2001 I had two different seeemingly gay men hit on me at Pinky's.
One walked up to me and started kissing me very passionately. It was a trip. The year before that my best friend hooked up with a "gay" man.
Burning Man makes people want to do what's not considered the "norm" or their "norm" - I Love It! :P

Spokes

Post by Spokes » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:55 pm

I like kissing, so pucker up!
<smooch>

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:09 pm

I like T-BONE's modified stars & bars flag. It's neato.

My favorite white trash wigger is Kid Rock.

OH, YES, BACK TO THE POINT:

All straight guys become rabid butt-plugging ass-monkeys at BM.

:shock:

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:16 pm

kufhdvasvbw
Last edited by Isotopia on Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:16 pm

Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nymphgonebad

Re: Experiments in looooove...

Post by nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:23 pm

StarBoy wrote:Bah. Who cares if they experiment a bit at BM? I was too overwhelmed with everything this year (my first) to get involved. What I want to know is, do they experiment *outside* of BM, and if so, do they have my email address?

BTW - doesn't the phrasing of the question belie a certain prejudice? Like straight guys are sort of always fighting the urge to experiment, but "let themselves" only on rare occasions?

It's not a matter of "letting myself" experiment with women - it'd be "forcing myself." Nothing against women in the slightest. But if I could've made it work with women...hell if I'd even sported wood ONCE with a woman...I'd be a proudly closeted and secretly conflicted married guy. I mean, I never wanted to be gay - I just wanted to be fabulous.

All that said...I did have some weird moments at the burn where I found myself admiring a few girls and feeling oddly aroused. But then, there was so much beautiful flesh at every turn, male and female, that I think my wang was just overloaded.

So to speak.
well, maybe this will help your, what, overloaded wang?: my explanantion for argyle's interest in my panties was esthetic; they were very pretty. and as for my nipples, well, even gay men are breast fed, no?

you are fabulous, my dear ( as my fiancee said upon viewing my tank-girl doo you're playa fabulous! " but i hope you know that you didn't have to be gay in order to achieve this goal.

plus, even tho your preferences lean pecariously over to one end, we are all of us a little bisexual. and brc has a tendency to make burners all the more sexually elastic.

the princess

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”