Artistic Triage: Which ideas are you dropping?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Artistic Triage: Which ideas are you dropping?

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:24 pm

What's hitting the trash can in your garage? With so few days left, some artistic plans are just not good enough to take time away from the ones that inspire me. For expample: The mutant vehicle will have to make do with one four foot hourglass instead of two this year. Slapped a geiger counter in it's place and it looks good 'nuf.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:43 am

Fewer camp members means less money means no huge public hammock in Shady Towers...

Ron

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:09 am

I ain't givin' up on NOTHIN' until the night before takeoff! If you see someone passed out at a truckstop in Iowa with a tube of GOOP in one hand and a can of Krylon in the other.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:16 am

robotland wrote:I ain't givin' up on NOTHIN' until the night before takeoff! If you see someone passed out at a truckstop in Iowa with a tube of GOOP in one hand and a can of Krylon in the other.....
I'll make sure to stop and see if you're ok!! :D

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:58 am

No Laminates that say "All Excess Pass."
Already sent my gift bags to Robbidobbs.
No making the man from wire.
Doing some really nifty barbie warping---for Doc Pyro.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:18 am

I just came off two weeks on the truck with larry; I'm looking at my blank canvases with no artistic urges whatsoever. I feel wrung out and unispired, I think I am simply fatigued.

I will do some Universal Dreamer caps, those are simple. I scalp an old cosmetology head, slice the outer skin off at the nostril level, paint it purple and add sizing slices. Instant hat, very freaky. Can't leave the hair on as it is rooted into the foam underneath the skin. Lighting the eyes may have to wait.

I want to make seatcovers for the to-be-donated wheelchair, but my sewing machine is glowering at me again. All the great fabric I acquired is in heaps around the workroom, I may get the silver cape done and possibly flaming furry pants for larry.

More bracelets, I can do those while watching crappy reruns on TV. More pendants too, but I am sick of them.

I hope I will get another coat of polyurethane on the floorcloth.

Signs, crap, signs for the Home for Wayward Art and for the Head Trip featuring the Tower of Psychobabylon.

I doubt I will get to the solar light covers I've always wanted to do.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:12 pm

SO! My backordered weed burner from our friends at Harbor just arrived. EEEK! A month late, and I'd already dropped plans to include it as a fireball maker this year. But is there still time??? Lots of detail stuff left on my light sculpture and the save-money buy-cheap thing is being replaced by get-it-anywhere-available-NOW semicrazy mode.
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

geekster

Post by geekster » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:01 pm

Al Qaeda Camp is going to have to wait until another year. Our random acts of terrorism such as nighttime "pantsing" of unsuspecting passersby, random water launching, improvised exclaimatory devices made from playa dust and compressed air ... have been thwarted by the infidel bastards at work who insist that I work at work. That's okay, it was better next year anyway.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:38 pm

Last year: Adopt a Potty-Cluster Laminates
This year: necklaces and girlie bags.

Probably going to abandon the last robe project. It got f-up'd from the start, and trying to salvage it is just depressing.

I have plenty of scarves for my volunteers though.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:31 am

Dang it? Are those bags cursed?

Robbidobbs. If onplaya assembly help would help, let me know.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

PurpleKoosh
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:55 am

AntiM wrote:my sewing machine is glowering at me again.
My entire sewing room is giving me the evil eye right now. I went to a make-your-own-playa-coat day back in May; got the outside completed while I was there - and haven't even touched the lining. Of course, part of that is because I NEVER got off my ass to clean up my room enough that I could actually get to the corner where the machine's set up.... :-/
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

PurpleKoosh
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:57 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Robbidobbs. If onplaya assembly help would help, let me know.
What da Fishie said.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:28 am

*bump*
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:31 am

GEEZE...Mister Jelly Fish!
Its not time for droppin ANYTHING...yet...shit...i was still working on my furry boots 4 minutes before we got in the truck, and had to carefully wrap the hot glue gun, as it was still so hot!(to be packed!)
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:35 am

If I can't get the parts, Larry the Mutant Deerhead may travel to the playa as Larry the Deerhead. Anyone have a spare antler, taxidermy eyes, scraps of deerskin and fangs?

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:43 am

I got fangs Im pretty sure,(Will have to go dig out the 7 halloweeen boxes to find them) I dont know about buck skin, but I might?
I only have 2 sets of eyes...but there more for a mouse or rabbit sized critter.............

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:18 am

Well, it is a mutant deerhead after all. If I get up into the mountains and scrounge, I may be able to come up with quite a few things.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:07 am

How about great big glittery faux jewels. IN amber color without pupils? Is that mutant enough for ya?
The Lady with a Lamprey

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:35 am

Hmmmm, I actually ahve a batch of those lying around.

Any suggestions for my bags of jingle bells?

skeetsh00ter

Post by skeetsh00ter » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:38 am

bags of jingle bells could be lots of fun...hmmm...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:48 am

Sew to cloathes. If you cannot stand to wear, give away.
The Lady with a Lamprey

phil

Post by phil » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:03 am

Sew to cloathes. If you cannot stand to wear, give away.
Louise and I give away clothes, I'm always happy to repeat. It's a great deal of fun. If people have clothes they want to donate, they may go to any of several places at BRC that give away clothes - Black Rock Boutique springs immediately to mind.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:29 pm

AntiM wrote:If I can't get the parts, Larry the Mutant Deerhead may travel to the playa as Larry the Deerhead. Anyone have a spare antler, taxidermy eyes, scraps of deerskin and fangs?
AntiM, I still owe you for last year. Research Mannikins, one of the best taxidermy supply houses, is right up the road from me. I'll go over there this week and pick you up a pair of eyes.

As for the fangs, I can possibly cover that, too. Give me a month or two to finish sculpting, molding and casting Nothing-to-Prove's mouthpiece and you'll have a Mohr wolf jawset coming your way.

Do you need ear liners, too? Septum? Veining templates? What kind of deer is he, muley or white-tail?
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 am

OOOh, thank you! Um, I think he's a mulie, but a small one. I'm going for the freakish frankenstein look, so mismatched parts will be alright. He's already mounted, I was looking at modifying what was already in place. His ears are falling apart, but I may keep that half-chewed on look.

And now out regional camp is getting bigger, we're looking at a sculpture garden in front of camp at E-11. Yikes! More projects! That's June1st! So soon so soon!

And I'm really looking forward to seeing your wolfie, sounds fantastic!

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:35 am

You know, putting a unicorn-like horn straight out from its "forehead" could be surreal. (Just an idea which popped into my head-- not certain where you'd get a unicorn horn, though.)

Good luck with mutating the deer head!

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:00 am

AntiM wrote:OOOh, thank you! Um, I think he's a mulie, but a small one. I'm going for the freakish frankenstein look, so mismatched parts will be alright. He's already mounted, I was looking at modifying what was already in place. His ears are falling apart, but I may keep that half-chewed on look.

And now out regional camp is getting bigger, we're looking at a sculpture garden in front of camp at E-11. Yikes! More projects! That's June1st! So soon so soon!

And I'm really looking forward to seeing your wolfie, sounds fantastic!
\/
How about big Tedd Bear eyes from the craft store?..

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:05 am

I'm thinking of dropping the German (Lone Sentry) half track..Seeings the Jellyfish is all up in the air about space this year..

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:28 am

unjonharley wrote:
\/
How about big Tedd Bear eyes from the craft store?..
Had a look at them, didn't like what's available locally. I do have large human doll eyes, if I can find them. I was thinking about mutating my melted faux fur coat too. It would look at you. Buwahaha.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Ahh, a Frankenstein look, neh?

You might not get deer eyes, then Image

I'll ask 'em for whatever seconds they have and send you a mix 'n match pair.

The wolf's gonna be cool. We're already talking about pitting her against ManTIS at Thunderdome.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:04 pm

thread drift re alignment...hehehee

Droppin our art car, we were planning on doing an Art car 07. But turns out, we needed a BAR more...so Bar it is!

maybe next yr?
Helping a co-camp with one...does that count?

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”