Vacuum cleaner?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
HughMungus

Vacuum cleaner?

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:18 pm

OK, when you're done laughing, you can answer this question.

Thinking it would be useful for the inside of the trailer to help keep it clean and thinking that since our flooring will be some rugs, that it might help keep the dust down inside the shade structure. I know I'd have bags full of playa, but, other than that is it stupid to even think about bringing a vacuum cleaner?

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:21 pm

Yes.

You've given me an idea for a nice art piece though. Imagine if you will, a 12 foot tall re-creation of my mother's tank-like Kirby, complete with electrical cord. That would look real purdy out on the open playa.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:24 pm

Sensei wrote:Yes.

You've given me an idea for a nice art piece though. Imagine if you will, a 12 foot tall re-creation of my mother's tank-like Kirby, complete with electrical cord. That would look real purdy out on the open playa.
Sorry, all I can imagine is an 12' tall Kirby-looking ART CAR. :D

"OH SHIT THERE'S A VACUUM CLEANER COMING TOWARDS OUR CAMP"

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:27 pm

You guys ever see the dirt devil guy on the playa? Dressed as a devil and vacuuming the playa?

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Last year Grand father just left the windows down on the pickup. THe last day he use a wisk broom to sweep it all down.
A vac might do a little inside a trailer. You could set the dust free out on the playa. For myself it would be a waste of time. Just get the rig home, put a squrial cage in one window and go to town with the air compresser. Flippen hillbillies next door sleep til noon. So do it in the morning. Or when there down at the welfare office. They wont notice the differance.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:02 pm

unjonharley wrote:squrial cage in one window and go to town with the air compresser
What's a squirrel cage?

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:05 pm

7 years of taking an motorhome has taught us to leave the shop vac outside while doing the post burn clean=up.. The Playa Dust is so fine it blows past the filter bag...
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:14 pm

DallasPlaya wrote:
What's a squirrel cage?
Look here: http://www.surplussales.com/Fans-Blower ... low-1.html
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:31 pm

unjonharley wrote: You could set the dust free out on the playa.
Please don't. High probability of moop in there w/ the dust.

The vacuum would probably fail pretty quickly from the corrosive dirt. It it lasts the week, it would be dumpster food anyway.

Just stick it out for the week.

Some people keep their RV's "shoe-free", which also helps to keep the dirt level down. One of those doormats w/the green plastic "lawn" or one made of old tires works great to brush your feet on. Carpet gets "soaked" quick.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:06 pm

robbidobbs wrote:
unjonharley wrote: You could set the dust free out on the playa.
Please don't. High probability of moop in there w/ the dust.

The vacuum would probably fail pretty quickly from the corrosive dirt. It it lasts the week, it would be dumpster food anyway.

Just stick it out for the week.

Some people keep their RV's "shoe-free", which also helps to keep the dirt level down. One of those doormats w/the green plastic "lawn" or one made of old tires works great to brush your feet on. Carpet gets "soaked" quick.
Since we're doing the necklace thing, we'd be filtering out our vacuum cleaner bags, anyway, to get the lost beads out and would filter out any moop (in fact, I'm so moop-aware that I'll be telling people to pick-up moop while they're out looking for rocks for necklaces). So that's not an issue. I would not want to destroy a vacuum cleaner, however... Hmm... I think I'll bring it and just see if we need it.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:25 am

Anybody catch the Sin Sucker art car? I think it was back in '03...Looked like an upright chrome Kirby!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

_fool

Post by _fool » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:27 am

ibdave wrote:7 years of taking an motorhome has taught us to leave the shop vac outside while doing the post burn clean=up.. The Playa Dust is so fine it blows past the filter bag...
i took a dustbuster last year and it kinda worked. it would at least move the dust from the bed to the floor or something. but the point above is valid--unless you have a mega$uper HEPA filter yada or a steam cleaner, the dust is mostly just blown back out into the through the bag/filter in my experience. far more useful would be a swiffer or something, methinks.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:44 am

_fool wrote:
ibdave wrote:7 years of taking an motorhome has taught us to leave the shop vac outside while doing the post burn clean=up.. The Playa Dust is so fine it blows past the filter bag...
i took a dustbuster last year and it kinda worked. it would at least move the dust from the bed to the floor or something. but the point above is valid--unless you have a mega$uper HEPA filter yada or a steam cleaner, the dust is mostly just blown back out into the through the bag/filter in my experience. far more useful would be a swiffer or something, methinks.
Good points. I'll leave it at home. I'll bring a broom, instead.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:36 pm

Wakawaka wrote:You guys ever see the dirt devil guy on the playa? Dressed as a devil and vacuuming the playa?
Yes, while cracking himself up the whole time. :)

Ron

unjonharley

Re:

Post by unjonharley » Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 am

Sensei wrote:Yes.

Been done

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: Vacuum cleaner?

Post by TT120 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:41 am

Try this: Pour some talcum powder on your kitchen floor and try to vacuum it up. See how it just going right through the filter bag? Playa dust will do the same thing.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Thu May 26, 2016 11:59 am

It isn't workable as a dust filter, but I've found that in certain circumstances a shopvac can be quite useful.

I bring a 16' diameter yurt, which has a floor made out of billboard vinyl, the edge of which gets turned up against the inside walls, helping to keep dust out and my stuff in . When I'm breaking down camp at the end of the week (and occasionally during), I use the shopvac to ensure than any little bits of moop are gone before taking down the yurt.

Sure, I could do it with a dustpan and broom, but the shopvac does at least as good a job, and does it more quickly. We also use it inside the big camp cargo trailer (though that is being decommissioned this year, now that we have a container).

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu May 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Alla' y'alls problem is you don't know what a Rainbow vacuum is.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu May 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Alla' y'alls problem is you don't know what a Rainbow vacuum is.
Goddammitt.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Fri May 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Alla' y'alls problem is you don't know what a Rainbow vacuum is.
Oh wow, I didn't realize those things still existed.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri May 27, 2016 5:28 pm

I've used a Rainbow to clean the van once back home. It does ok, but I have to change the water and clean (way too many times) the plastic thingie that spins in the water and causes suction. I would never take one to the playa for fear of breaking the water reservoir made of way too thin plastic.

I've found the best thing for me is to seal any playa magnet (carpet, fabric upholstery) where playa will hide for years no matter if you use vacuum, compressor, pressure washer.

Why Rainbow is still in business is a mystery, as they can cost $1700, maybe some wiggle room with a network marketeer, which is their only form of distribution.

Just now I found 7 for sale on Craigs in South Bay with prices I doubt will be met....$350 to $650. I was happy to give mine away after not finding a buyer at a $50 price.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 27, 2016 5:38 pm

I've always brought one.
Never broke a water bowl. But I don't use it as a hammer.
I've yet to see anything else fobs better job filtering playa dust.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I've always brought one.
Never broke a water bowl. But I don't use it as a hammer.
I've yet to see anything else fobs better job filtering playa dust.
This crazy seadog carries the fucking thing in his boat! Kid you not. We are sitting there in a white-out and he starts VACUUMING THE UPHOLSTERY. The dude went totally Martha Stewart on us! So I asked the First Mate if the Captain was off his meds or just totally OCD about dust. She kinda dodged the question but allowed as how he did have a "very close relationship with that Rainbow"... :mrgreen:

He's gonna kill me for this...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 31, 2016 4:58 pm

Other people love the playa dust. I hate that shit!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”