would a pirouette constitute a "gift"??

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
squrrlgrl

would a pirouette constitute a "gift"??

Post by squrrlgrl » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:53 pm

i'm a grad student, so making scads of tchochkes for bman seems a bit out of my financial reach...i've also read that gifted knicknacks tend to pile up in an unwelcome fashion...so, my question is, is a pirouette a gift? i'm a former ballerina, and what i think i could really offer, more than a sticker or a button, is to teach people on the playa how to do an honest-to-goodness pirouette, and to do one myself. would this be in any way a valuable contribution?

gladeye

Post by gladeye » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:06 pm

It's a gift if it's accepted :mrgreen:

Seriously though, there's no pressure or obligation to give.

"Forget what you give and remember what you get"

I'm part of the Pinky's bar (new name, scaled down, similar location this year) and we give it all away. Lots and lots of drinks and tunes. Gifts are welcome, but never expected. We all get off on the fun of making other people happy with what we're creating and serving. Any playa bartender or other kind of "attendant" who asks, "What do you have for ME?" is totally missing the point and not worth your time.
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:09 pm

sure.

if its on one leg, with your eyes closed, in the rain, drunk, wearing a bunny suit, while singing 'Fandango' - backwards.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:10 pm

Sure, go for it. My only concern is warm up. If people aren't taking care of thier bod--yadayadayada
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:26 pm

Short answer: Hell yeah!

Long boring answer: There's been a lot of talk on eplaya about the meaning of gifting, and I've spent a fair bit of time thinking about it. I think there are two concepts that I'll designate "sharing" and "gifting". Sharing is the easy one, you help your neighbor, you give them things that you happen to have that you think they need more than you do. You cook for them one meal, they cook for you the next, both meals are better shared.

The harder one is gifting. I think gifting only really counts when in some way you give of yourself. You give of your talent, your experience, your heart in some way. Ok, now this gets tricky when the giftee is one (or more) of 35,000 of your new best friends. I don't even know what colors you like! Some people go least-common-denominator and get a halloween attitude, gotta have some candy for the kids who come trick or treating. Some cheap little tschotchke that nobody hates but nobody really likes and takes no investment of heart. Some people do grand art projects that just knock your socks off. Some people create huge party camps. You and me, we're somewhere in between.

Most people are pretty successful at bringing most everything they need to camp with. I don't like the expression "gift economy" because it's not an economy at all, it's ... what the hell is it? Well I know for sure it's not an economy. Gifting is the icing on the cake, it's about trying to make the OTHER person's burn more enjoyable.

Giving gifts can be challenging, surprisingly so. What if they don't like it? I put my heart into this, if they reject my gift are they rejecting me? Last year I went home with half the gifts I took, 'cause I was shy. Well, even if people don't like the gift, they're going to appreciate the giving, so don't worry so much. This year, nothin's coming back.

Which brings me to - think about how you are going to gift your pirouettes. Are you going to round up a bunch of people and say "Pirouette lessons in 5 minutes, everybody over here!"? Are you going to say "hey, thanks for the drink, would you like to learn to pirouette?" You could walk into a camp, meet some people, and say "Hey, how would you guys all like to learn to pirouette?" Visualize a few scenarios, it's hard when you haven't been yet, but try.

It could be one of the most memorable gifts of someone's trip.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:59 pm

My two cents, take'm for what they're worth.

My suggestion is not to feel compelled to give a gift. Please.

If you want to teach someone to pirouette or you just want to perform one, go with what you _want_ to do. Feeling that you have to give a gift is just wrong. That's not a gift.

The whole thing about a gift economy is just a BMORg way to stop vending and barter. It used to be fine to sell stuff at BM, then they said stop it, barter instead, no cash. Then they realized that's no different from selling, so they started the "it's a gift economy" mantra. It already was.

If people give you something, thank them and don't feel obligated to give a single _thing_ in return. _That_ is what a gift is. You've been given a gift of some or no value. Say thanks and dispose of the gift properly. Thanks is a proper and acceptable response.

Further, gift is a noun. It is not now, nor has it ever been, a verb. The verb is give.

This has been a rant. It was only a rant. It carries no weight whatsoever. You may ignore this rant in whole or in part. All electrons used in the production of this rant were 100% post-consumer waste. This rant is not sold in stores. Your views, my views, and the views at Burning Man may differ. Or maybe not. That's up to you.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:18 pm

I would dance for joy if you gifted me with a pirouette.
I love monkeys and boys but especially monkey-boys

headquarters

Post by headquarters » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:03 pm

i work at a dance college in seattle and i would lOVE to get a gift of a pirouette

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:02 pm

I've been making good progress, but if you could help me with my pirouettes, I'd gratefully accept.

Petalford

Post by Petalford » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:10 pm

me too, me too....
Playa road......, Take Me Home...to the place I belong......., Black Rock City....., in the Desert......take me home...., Playa Road.......

gladeye

Post by gladeye » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:53 pm

Phil, thank you for gifting us with your rant.
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

phil

Post by phil » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:08 pm

gladeye wrote:Phil, thank you for gifting us with your rant.
:-> The pleasure was all mine.

HughMungus

Re: would a pirouette constitute a "gift"??

Post by HughMungus » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:33 am

squrrlgrl wrote:i'm a grad student, so making scads of tchochkes for bman seems a bit out of my financial reach...i've also read that gifted knicknacks tend to pile up in an unwelcome fashion...so, my question is, is a pirouette a gift? i'm a former ballerina, and what i think i could really offer, more than a sticker or a button, is to teach people on the playa how to do an honest-to-goodness pirouette, and to do one myself. would this be in any way a valuable contribution?
Really, don't sweat the gifting. It's actually the exception rather than the rule. The best gift at Burning Man is having a nice/cool/fun/whatever person to talk to and perhaps hang out with. Of course, a pirouette would be nice, too.

Let me also point out to everyone that if you DO receive a gift (such as the ones I'm making) you should NOT feel obligated to gift back. I don't give gifts to get something back (other than maybe a smile).

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:50 am

Go for it!
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

vic

Gifts

Post by vic » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:14 am

The important thing is the relationship between the people, not the spcefics of the "gift". Given in the right way, any gesture can be a wonderful gift.
I think you are on the right track.

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:47 am

I'd give you a beer for every 360 degrees. Is that barter then?
call me baby

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:56 pm

gladeye wrote: Any playa bartender or other kind of "attendant" who asks, "What do you have for ME?" is totally missing the point and not worth your time.
Anybody who would tell you the only True Way to do something is missing the point.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:08 pm

in this case shouldn't we be talking about the pointe?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

dinosaurwilly

Post by dinosaurwilly » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:20 pm

I think the best gifts givne on the playa are ...

1) given voluntarily because the giver truly wants to give something special. No gift should ever be required.

2) But .. one gift I do expect is respect and a good attitude. We do happy hours at our camp. We give away a TON of drinks, soda, water, and ice. All I want to be gifted for this is for you to be happy and understanding. Don't get mad at me because I dont have ice, dont get mad because I am talking to a friend and cant get to you right away. Just be happy to be on the playa!

3) A pirouette is an EXCELLENT gift!

PS: keep an eye on www.dinosaurwilly.com/barf. We will be doing a swing dance/blues dance night on Wednesday or Thursday, maybe you could gift your pirouette to a bunch of people :)

msmohit

Most Definitely

Post by msmohit » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:07 pm

It's been decades since I was a mini ballerina and I'd love to re-learn how to do a real pirouette. If it's meant to be, I'll see you spinning on the playa and you'll teach me how to twirl.
:)

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:25 pm

can a squirrel do a pirouette?

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”