Dumb question about Calendar

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
dieselcruiserhead

Dumb question about Calendar

Post by dieselcruiserhead » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:42 pm

When you arrive is there a guide or something with the calendar or should I print that shit out now... ?

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm

There is the "Who-What-Where-When" guide that you will receive at the Greeter Station, this will list all the events that people have chosen to have listed. There is also the Theme Camp listing that you might want to print out before the playa to help locate your favorite camp.

Take all of this information with a HUGE grain of salt. You will visit the Kundalini Naked Yoga dome on Thursday promptly at noon (as advertised) to discover that the yogi is still nursing a hang-over and enjoying a cuddle puddle with 2 girls from Dublin he met the night before, please come back around 2pm or maybe sunset, or better yet, let's make it Friday.

If you base your experience on the printed documents you will run around on a wild goose chase of missed connections. This is what we affectionately refer to as "Playa Time". My advice is to carry such documents with you but to realize that seldom, if ever, is anyone on anything resembling a schedule.

If you find yourself unable to connect serendipitously with anything that suits your fancy, pull out the "WHO-WHAT-WHERE-WHEN" and head off in the direction of what interests you but be open to distractions you find along the way.

I do find it helpful to print out a smaller version of the map and list of where all my friends will be camping to make navigation and friend location easier.

phil

Post by phil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm

yeah

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm

There's a guide. The "who what when".

dinosaurwilly

Post by dinosaurwilly » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:02 pm

Also ... the "who, what when" is printed about 4 weeks before burning man. If you look at the on-line calendar, you will be able to see events that are posted after the "who what when" is released.

Often times I just print up my own list of events before I head out.

calsur

schedule

Post by calsur » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:18 pm

You may want to contact Ivy. She has some belly dancing classes that got put into the master schedule handed out at the Gate last year and there was a lot of bad info. Mostly wrong times. She did a big post under last years board you might want to look up.

Luck!

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:40 am

Best to swing by BEFORE the event, and check that they're even there....Recall what the Road To Hell is reputedly paved with.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:54 am

Playa dust.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gladeye

Post by gladeye » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:05 am

I don't think the "Who-What-Where-When" guide is really that unreliable. A lot of once or twice scheduled events/classes/shows, etc. have been a long time in preparation. I don't think people would so casually delay or reschedule if they could help it. I don't remember too many disappointments the times I relied on the calendar.
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:51 am

Regardless of what you just read, the annual Meet & Greet will begin promptly at 6 p.m. at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, a suburb of Wheeeee!Ville (4:00 and Catharsis), if not even earlier.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”