Liability Insurance for your Camp, Art, or Mutant Vehicle

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT
Location: USA

Liability Insurance for your Camp, Art, or Mutant Vehicle

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 am

**I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice!**

Every year I see multiple posts and receive multiple messages regarding liability insurance for Burning Man.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.. Compared to litigation it's pennies and when I drove a rickety death trap around I was grateful for the peace of mind.

There have been a few different companies providing Burning Man policies over the years and I've seen lots of people go on about different ways to get insurance and they almost all suck. If your policy is not explicitly written for Burning Man and related activities and risks then it is useless. Parade float insurance is not Burning Man insurance. Your regular auto policy is not Burning Man insurance. RV insurance is not Burning Man insurance. Your rentals/homeowner insurance is not Burning Man insurance.

If you bring a mutant vehicle, art installation or janky scaffolding in your camp and someone hurts themselves or dies you are liable. The Bmorg is protected by the back of the ticket, you are not. There are horror stories of entire camps spending years in court after a participant dies in an accident. Insurance is a layer of protection, if someone dies climbing your structure their kin will sue your insurance and not you.

So where do we get Burning Man insurance? From an awesome burner-run commercial insurance agency!

Crimson Business Insurance
Call, leave a message for Ambere, and tell her you are looking for Burning Man insurance.

This post is not an ad, just a burner wanting to help other burners get their asses covered. Not sure if posting business contact info is allowed or not but I do have permission from Ambere to share this information.

Side note: Crimson will sell insurance for other festivals and events, ie: your jankety death trap of a structure you're bringing to your local regional. I also buy my GLI for my (risky and dangerous) business from Crimson and they beat all the competitors rates by huge margins and offered the same coverage.

**I am not an attorney and this post is not legal advice!**

Post Reply

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”