Playa bike polo

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
twiggy11
Burning Since: 2018

Playa bike polo

Post by twiggy11 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,
Newbie burner here, please forgive any naivete.
I play hardcourt bike polo and I know of a couple other polo players who are planning to attend Burning Man this year. (If you're not familiar, this will give you a pretty good idea: )
We're interested in doing our thing at BRC and hopefully introducing some people to the game. I think it'd be pretty easy to set up on the desert and play using a larger ball as long as the surface isn't too bumpy or uneven. However, ideally we're also hoping to find a hard surface at BRC to borrow for an hour or two. Not sure how many of these exist but I have heard that there's a roller disco camp. Can anyone put me in touch with someone from that camp, or advise on the feasibility of this idea? Surely the roller disco surface would be in pretty heavy use by, y'know, roller skaters, but maybe there is a bit of downtime? Any constructive advice would be appreciated!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Playa bike polo

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Sounds like a good time... For me to watch you break your damn fool necks 8) :lol:

twiggy11

Post by twiggy11 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 pm

*Shrug* It's about as dangerous as any other sport. Scrapes and bruises happen, especially in competitive play, but we'll be pretty chilled out if we do it at BM.
Of course it's not advisable for anyone who is uncomfortable steering a bike with one hand.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:29 pm

twiggy11 wrote:*Shrug* It's about as dangerous as any other sport. Scrapes and bruises happen, especially in competitive play, but we'll be pretty chilled out if we do it at BM.
Of course it's not advisable for anyone who is uncomfortable steering a bike with one hand.

A Life Flight will run about 60K.. I'm 75, so will sit and laugh LMAO...

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm giving this a nudge to the Art & Performance board, since that's a better fit. You may want to consider posting on the Spark collaboration tool (linked in my signature), or just reconsider a couple aspects of your plan.

First - just use playa bikes with knobby tires - this not only makes the event open to nearly anybody, but it saves you from most likely ruining a more expensive bike (and the skinny-tire bikes like the ones featured in that video are not very useful for general purpose playa use).

Second - there is no second. By changing the plan to be more playa-friendly, you also do away with the need to have a hard surface in order to play on.

If you just plain have to have a hard surface.. be do-it-yourselfers and bring your own! Don't forget tarps to go under your plywood sheeting, since woodchips are MOOP. Good luck with your project!

twiggy11

Post by twiggy11 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:15 am

Much appreciated. I will certainly be bringing a beater mountain bike as they work well for both hardcourt and traditional (grass/offroad) bike polo. The main issue with an offroad surface is that it affects how the ball plays, but that certainly would not stop us from having fun. I'll look into Spark. Thanks!

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:44 am

You bring Bike Polo, I'm going to bring Unicycle Polo players.

colinrgodsey

Post by colinrgodsey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Breaking necks at break-neck speed.

BadDawg

Post by BadDawg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 am

I've got 4 cones for goals and about a dozen polo mallets that I'm bringing with me.
I'll be camped at 2:45 & "B" with the PlayaWaste Raiders.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Why not bike jousting? Way more entertaining.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:30 am

Demolition derby - natural selection at work.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:33 am

Sounds a little dangerous. I'm in!

Remember kids, safety third!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Return to “2013 Art & Performance”