Disabling springs on our bus?

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.
Gano

Disabling springs on our bus?

Postby Gano » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 am

We're bringing our Tree House MV built on a 30' bus.

I read somewhere that other cars had disabled their springs on the playa to firm up the suspension and minimize sway.
I tried this yesterday by jacking up the bus and putting some wood blocks between the frame and the axle to disable the leaf springs. It seemed to work ok. Is this the idea?

On the rear end there are little rubber feet to cushion the frame when it bottoms out. I put the blocks under these feet...but maybe I should remove the rubber feet completely on playa? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Gano

http://facebook.com/theartcar

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Disabling springs on our bus?

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

that can work. single pieces of wood, though, can split. you might be better to use stacked plywood or several laminated boards, with differing grains. You'll want to bolt or secure them somehow.
also: realize it will change stresses on the rest of the suspension and rear end, making shocks "direct". Bent and broken stuff can happen that way. without the shock absorption, things change.
But, it does help with sway........so, know you're changing things, possibly making some parts vulnerable and watch your loading and driving.
That's about all I can come up with.
oh, and yeah, I'd not put them under the rubber things.......either elsewhere or remove the rubber.
just my opinions, I'm no engineer.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby MikeGyver » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 am

Let's start with a disclaimer. Modifying suspension in any way can be dangerous and I take no responsibility if something goes wrong.

Now to the point. That should work if two things are made sure of. The blocks will not slip and fall off the axle and the floor will support the weight of the vehicle and 30 something people.
If the block slips the bus will lean and people will hurt themselves, if the block goes through the floor the bus will lean further and people will hurt themselves.

Putting it on the bump stop is a good support point. Where do you have the front lifting from? Remember there will probably be around 3-4 thousand pounds of people on it. That's a lot of weight on a small area.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 am

I'd be more inclined to use steel.
If you're not a welder/fabricator, a welding shop can probably make up some super stout blocks for you pretty cheap. You don't need much material and it'd be an easy job. They could even drill the holes for you so you can use big U-bolts to clamp them in place.

Wood would be the cheapest and easiest but I agree, wood can split under that kind of stress. I'm a crane truck operator and I use some thick wood blocks under my outriggers. I frequently obliterate it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 pm

whatever you do, do not remove the bump stops or block the axle for highway use. The bump stops limit suspension travel and lean. At highway speeds excessive suspension travel can lead to rollover, or bend or exploded shocks, which can also lead to rollover. Having the suspension blocked on uneven surfaces can bend the frame, tear body mounts loose, and cause unintended loads on the front suspension leading to loss of steering ability. probably ok on playa at 5mph, but make sure it is back to stock for exodus and highway travel
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Do not put them under the bump stops. Use steel. Only do this on the playa.
Praise the Lowered

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 pm

I dunno that I think steel is best, for this short term.
a good, wooden block, would cushion, just a little, the stresses on running gear from load and such.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby Bounce530 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:23 pm

blah....foogies...bump stops, springs and such are over rated;
(the second pic is the titanium drag blocks on my mini truck)
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Return to “2013 Mutant Vehicles”