MV Driver and Law Enforcement

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.
Conduit
Burning Since: 2011

MV Driver and Law Enforcement

Post by Conduit » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 am

Hey you fuckos, we're almost there!!!

Question: I'm driving a MV and am curious about my liability now that we're seeing how strict the law enforcement is this year. So, if I'm driving a the MV and I get pulled over to be searched, what happens if there is someone on the MV in possession of anything illegal? I'll be in a separate compartment from the passengers so I won't be able to monitor everyone's actions while on board. I'm I at all responsible? Also note worthy, I do not drink so there will be no open beverage in the driver area and I'll also have my license on me at all time.

Can't wait to see you guys!!!

Conduit

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: MV Driver and Law Enforcement

Post by Elderberry » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:24 am

I haven't heard any stories of MV's getting pulled over on playa. But should it happen, I'd assume the rules would be the same as if you were driving your car and pulled over and the police found the passengers with contraband. (whatever consequence that might be) Hopefully you won't set a precedent.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am

Someone posted that YOU get sited for each and every violation on the vehicle!!! :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

DrewDubious
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Post by DrewDubious » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:09 am

FIGJAM wrote:Someone posted that YOU get sited for each and every violation on the vehicle!!! :shock:

Same as defaultia. Pretty wack IMO.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 am

From the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks:
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH OPEN CONTAINER ON MUTANT VEHICLES?

Keith, a 7-year art car owner/operator, wrote us a helpful email about operating a mutant vehicle on playa, based on his direct experience (and not all in a good way):

"WHAT IS OPEN CONTAINER ON AN ART CAR?
If the art car has NO separated cabin from the rest of the vehicle (e.g. a floating bed) then technically there can be no visible open container on the vehicle. This gets very tricky with certain vehicles especially if the driver's SEPARATION is somewhat subjective and if the driver relies on someone else to allow people aboard. Also throw in the factor of a guest pulling out their drink (or other substance) of choice out of view of driver and/or first mate, and then you have a ticket waiting to happen.

And guess what? The driver can get written up separate, cumulative fines for every different substance that is found on the vehicle. Each person possessing the substances also gets written up for what is individually found.

And while if you cooperate, you just usually get a ticket, getting caught can end your Burn, especially if the substance found is drug based, because of special Federal laws procedures pertaining to certain forms of possession. If they cannot identify the substance and don't trust your description, or you cannot or will not provide ID, you are in for a ride to Reno.

WHAT IS LEGITIMATE PROBABLE CAUSE?
That is any obvious alcoholic beverage with a label, or any obvious drug use, but also the SMELL of any obvious drug use. That will get you boarded and searched. But it could and has also been stretched to when someone is drinking out of a plastic/glass type receptacle that is typical of a bar environment (martini glass) and is displaying inebriation.

Depending on the agency, they usually search the rest of the vehicle (or call in the agency that can). Many past citations from past years are related to these issues. Obviously it doesn't always go down the same way but there are certain procedures law enforcement uses."
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Conduit

Post by Conduit » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:From the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks:
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH OPEN CONTAINER ON MUTANT VEHICLES?

Keith, a 7-year art car owner/operator, wrote us a helpful email about operating a mutant vehicle on playa, based on his direct experience (and not all in a good way):

"WHAT IS OPEN CONTAINER ON AN ART CAR?
If the art car has NO separated cabin from the rest of the vehicle (e.g. a floating bed) then technically there can be no visible open container on the vehicle. This gets very tricky with certain vehicles especially if the driver's SEPARATION is somewhat subjective and if the driver relies on someone else to allow people aboard. Also throw in the factor of a guest pulling out their drink (or other substance) of choice out of view of driver and/or first mate, and then you have a ticket waiting to happen.

And guess what? The driver can get written up separate, cumulative fines for every different substance that is found on the vehicle. Each person possessing the substances also gets written up for what is individually found.

And while if you cooperate, you just usually get a ticket, getting caught can end your Burn, especially if the substance found is drug based, because of special Federal laws procedures pertaining to certain forms of possession. If they cannot identify the substance and don't trust your description, or you cannot or will not provide ID, you are in for a ride to Reno.

WHAT IS LEGITIMATE PROBABLE CAUSE?
That is any obvious alcoholic beverage with a label, or any obvious drug use, but also the SMELL of any obvious drug use. That will get you boarded and searched. But it could and has also been stretched to when someone is drinking out of a plastic/glass type receptacle that is typical of a bar environment (martini glass) and is displaying inebriation.

Depending on the agency, they usually search the rest of the vehicle (or call in the agency that can). Many past citations from past years are related to these issues. Obviously it doesn't always go down the same way but there are certain procedures law enforcement uses."

Thanks for posting this... I read this posting which was the catalyst for my question. I'm not sure I even want to risk it...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 am

You've already put a lot of money into it. Why would you want to put in more for anyone who's so selfish that s/he'd still ride with contraband after being informed of your rules/
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 am

[quote="jkisha"]I haven't heard any stories of MV's getting pulled over on playa. But should it happen, I'd assume the rules would be the same as if you were driving your car and pulled over and the police found the passengers with contraband. (whatever consequence that might be) Hopefully you won't set a precedent.[/quote]

I'd count on having your mutant vehicle pulled over and participants searched. Unless the cop presense is being blown out of proportion, it seems pretty possible this time around....hopefully things are just hectic because there aren't many people out there yet, and once we all arrive, the cops are as awesome as they always have been and only roust those that are asking for it...

MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:58 pm

DrewDubious
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Post by DrewDubious » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Don't you have to consent to having your vehicle searched?

Conduit

Post by Conduit » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm

It's such a bummer that I'm even thinking about this topic but I'm a responsible guy with a good reputation and a career and I don't want to be arrested even if the charges are dropped down the line.

The MV that I agreed to drive isn't mine however I been sober for 8 years and will be sober the entire week of BM. I thought it would be fun to drive an MV and volunteered to take a driving shift from a camp that was searching for drivers. As it stands today, I'm really hesitant to take the shift at this point even though I would be breaking a commitment that I made.

One thing I do know for sure, I'm not on the playa yet nor have I had a chance to speak to any law enforcement officer about my concern. I guess I'll feel it out next week. I'm just bummed that this is even a concern of mine... Thank you guys for chipping in on the dialog...

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Conduit, it's good you're thinking about this. I agree that it would be a bummer if you backed out on your volunteering, but your reputation and your career are more important, hands-down. Why not talk with the camp about it? You can ask what procedures they have in place, what experiences other drivers have had. Maybe the camp can get a volunteer to help check people as they attempt to board? Or maybe the mutant vehicle driver area is completely separate from the rider area?
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “2013 Mutant Vehicles”