ePlaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Re: ePlaya Meet and Greet 2013 - What are you doing?

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Is there something like gluten free bread--rye, oats, whatever? Could you bring a loaf and show up with it and ask to have a sandwich made with it?

Every time I've brought bread, muffins, crackers, etc. They've either molded in a day or two or gone rock hard. :|

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: Is there something like gluten free bread--rye, oats, whatever? Could you bring a loaf and show up with it and ask to have a sandwich made with it?
There is
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Savannah has been able to keep bread out there, for more than a day or two. The trick seems to be to open the bag for 20 minutes a day, so the moisture escapes.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:31 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Savannah has been able to keep bread out there, for more than a day or two. The trick seems to be to open the bag for 20 minutes a day, so the moisture escapes.
Don't really see myself sitting around camp for 20 minutes waiting on bread to dry. :lol: And, it's also turned rock-hard. GF stuff is too expensive ($4-7 a loaf, $5 for four bagels) to experiment. I was pretty upset my first year, after splurging on nice baked GF treats and having them all go bad. If the WalMart I grocery shop at has something (Udi's is top-notch, as linked to) maybe I'll try again...

I was hoping to pack some pretzels and cookies to share with GF people (it's awesome when you meet other Celiac's and can treat-swap), but I'm not going to have room. :oops:

More for y'all!!

twister5voy

Post by twister5voy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:03 pm

C.f.M. wrote:GF stuff is too expensive ($4-7 a loaf, $5 for four bagels) to experiment.
I work at Grocery Outlet and our bread is brought in from Franz. Every so often they bring us a selection of 2 or 3 different GF breads for under $5 a loaf.
Don't know what part of the country you're in but if you have one near it might be worth taking a look.

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 pm

I buy a couple bags of bagels every year and Haven't had any issues with them going bad. I poke tiny holes in the bags Not enough to let (alot of) playa in but enough to keep the moisture from accumulating. Not sure if it would work with a normal loaf bread as the bagle's I get aren't cut, so less bread open to air.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Asquared
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Asquared » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:29 pm

thank you crypto, yes days were spent grilled cheesin, that's how the soup came about. I'll just bring it, and some vodka.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh

voiceinthedarkness

Post by voiceinthedarkness » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:35 am

My camp stove will be there, ribs done around the start of the M&G. There's a grill that will hold maybe 6 sandwiches at one time - I can bring it along as well, if grilling is the problem.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:50 am

voiceinthedarkness wrote:My camp stove will be there, ribs done around the start of the M&G. There's a grill that will hold maybe 6 sandwiches at one time - I can bring it along as well, if grilling is the problem.
Bring your grill. That will give some good options.
Thanks!!!

Sham.... :D

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Shambala wrote:
voiceinthedarkness wrote:My camp stove will be there, ribs done around the start of the M&G. There's a grill that will hold maybe 6 sandwiches at one time - I can bring it along as well, if grilling is the problem.
Bring your grill. That will give some good options.
Thanks!!!

Sham.... :D
BRING ALL THE THINGS!!!!!

:lol:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Would a feta and olive dip type of thing with pita chips be yummy?

We love it and want to bring some to share in addition to some beer.

Thing is: if you read too much eplaya, you can end up believing that food not canned or previously dehydrated will vaporize (or worse) upon entry to the event. :)

We ended up not trying to enter and exit for a work errand, so we won't be arriving until the day of the MnG ... any other playa-sensitive foods folks want ported in? We should have some room for non-cooler items, albeit minimal.

ALL THE THINGS is a scary fact!

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 pm

48_love wrote:Would a feta and olive dip type of thing with pita chips be yummy?

We love it and want to bring some to share in addition to some beer.

Thing is: if you read too much eplaya, you can end up believing that food not canned or previously dehydrated will vaporize (or worse) upon entry to the event. :)

We ended up not trying to enter and exit for a work errand, so we won't be arriving until the day of the MnG ... any other playa-sensitive foods folks want ported in? We should have some room for non-cooler items, albeit minimal.

ALL THE THINGS is a scary fact!
Ha ha...yes! I'll take some fresh salad, six-pack of Angry Orchard ginger, celery sticks to go with that dip, and a Frosty. 8) You might get a nice little blackmarket profit, if you had a way to communicate with people already in there! :twisted:

I have had to keep reminding myself that a cooler full of ice = a fridge, so I shouldn't be as scared of perishables as my brain keeps saying I am.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Bring no perishables! Beer, canned fruit and pickles are the only safe things in an ice chest.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Ratty wrote:Bring no perishables! Beer, canned fruit and pickles are the only safe things in an ice chest.
Blech! Can't drink beer! Can't bring bottles onto the playa, if I found some GF beer. Besides, I'd barely have room for a six-pack, and that'd just be a tease!

I DID find a jar of my mom's chowchow (I gifted several jars of her jam, last year)! So, I will have some chowchow (goes on everything!).

Two years ago I did a punk rock & pimento cheese party, if I had room in the cooler for supplies, is that something y'all would eat? I also made deviled eggs for it...we can't have a soiree without deviled eggs, y'all!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:I buy a couple bags of bagels every year and Haven't had any issues with them going bad. I poke tiny holes in the bags Not enough to let (alot of) playa in but enough to keep the moisture from accumulating. Not sure if it would work with a normal loaf bread as the bagle's I get aren't cut, so less bread open to air.
It does work with a normal commercial loaf. I happen to get whole grain; don't know if it matters. I don't poke holes, I just open it and point the open part away from the wind. I get at least 5 days that way, often more. It's still tastier eaten sooner rather than later, though.

I don't know if preservative-free bakery bread or gluten-free bread has different properties . . . and I know C.f.M. still wears the emotional scars of bread gone rogue.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Savannah wrote: . . . and I know C.f.M. still wears the emotional scars of bread gone rogue.

It's true...back then I had to go to a whole 'nother city, to pay $10 for four muffins. Saved them for my first breakfast on the playa and...mold. :( Cherry streusel topping...I miss you.

#firstworldproblems

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Strata » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:29 pm

I know there will be some gluten-free and vegan gluten-free baking going on at the Black Rock Bakery this year, it's on the signup schedule. C.f.M. if you're gluten-free you might want to scope that out!

Are we supposed to bring stuff to share to the meet and greet? I see there's a lot of thread up there to look at, so I'll go up there and try to find out....
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 2017 *

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Strata wrote:I know there will be some gluten-free and vegan gluten-free baking going on at the Black Rock Bakery this year, it's on the signup schedule. C.f.M. if you're gluten-free you might want to scope that out!

Are we supposed to bring stuff to share to the meet and greet? I see there's a lot of thread up there to look at, so I'll go up there and try to find out....
Yep. It's basically a pot luck.
Sic Semper Spectatores

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 pm

MacGlenver wrote:Since we're doing a camp dedicated to Old Gregg, I'll be bringing Bailey's. Just like last year :)
Your my new hero - Old Gregg is an Icon here.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Strata

Post by Strata » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Found the spreadsheet (thanks kindly!). I only have a tiny cooler for refrigeration, so it's chips and salsa and maybe a jar o bean dip or dolmas or something like that with them. Something to buffer the alcohol that will be so widely consumed, at least. :-D

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Ooooohhh Dolmas. I thought about that. Those would be perfect! I'm going to probably grill some chicken as I'm doing a full on dry ice cooler this year. And I don't have too far to go to get there.
Sic Semper Spectatores

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:56 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
MacGlenver wrote:Since we're doing a camp dedicated to Old Gregg, I'll be bringing Bailey's. Just like last year :)
Your my new hero - Old Gregg is an Icon here.

Tuesday, 3-5, 6&GDP, Old Gregg (his camp) is having a Bailey's party. I have GPE training, go drink some for me. Bailey's gets me into trrroooouuuble. So, Glen, bring two bottles.

Strata! Are you camped with this bakery? Tip for shy people: feed CfM gluten-free baked treats and she will parade around forcing people to bow before you.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 pm

VultureChow wrote:Ooooohhh Dolmas. I thought about that. Those would be perfect! I'm going to probably grill some chicken as I'm doing a full on dry ice cooler this year. And I don't have too far to go to get there.

All this talk of gluten-free baked goods and dolmas has shot Strata to the front of the line for the Champagne Room.

Strata

Post by Strata » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:21 pm

[quote]All this talk of gluten-free baked goods and dolmas has shot Strata to the front of the line for the Champagne Room.[/quote]

Grin. I'm not much of a drinker, tho I'll tipple a little Bailey's. I'm camped with Station 9, I'm an ESD radio dispatch volunteer. I have a couple of shifts scheduled at the Bakery during the week, Monday 9am - noon:30 and a Friday afternoon challah baking. Come by and say hi!

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Strata wrote: and a Friday afternoon challah baking. Come by and say hi!

...don't you mean, come by and CHALLAH!

thankyouillbethereallweek

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Strata wrote:
All this talk of gluten-free baked goods and dolmas has shot Strata to the front of the line for the Champagne Room.
Grin. I'm not much of a drinker, tho I'll tipple a little Bailey's. I'm camped with Station 9, I'm an ESD radio dispatch volunteer. I have a couple of shifts scheduled at the Bakery during the week, Monday 9am - noon:30 and a Friday afternoon challah baking. Come by and say hi!
I make french toast out of challah bread , its very good :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Scroll down to the bottom of the list http://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/ ... whatsoever
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:24 pm

It was great seeing you at the Meet and Greet this year, jk.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Just a note of thanks ..... to the ones I spoke with who blew me away and completely obliterating any misconceptions or delusions I may have been under, I am humbled. To the ones I didn't get any real opportunity to speak with, I know I am worse for not doing so. To the ones that put so much energy/effort/enthusiasm into making this such a success, I am awed. To the ones who spent time in making a terminal introvert feel so comfortable and at home, I am forever indebted.

I fucking love you fucking fuckos.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 am

Sic Pup wrote:Just a note of thanks ..... to the ones I spoke with who blew me away and completely obliterating any misconceptions or delusions I may have been under, I am humbled. To the ones I didn't get any real opportunity to speak with, I know I am worse for not doing so. To the ones that put so much energy/effort/enthusiasm into making this such a success, I am awed. To the ones who spent time in making a terminal introvert feel so comfortable and at home, I am forever indebted.

I fucking love you fucking fuckos.
Dude. The thanks are mutual all around. It was great finally meeting you. I was honored. Glad to put a face to your name. We all fucking love you, too.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”