Habitat for Insanity - Speakers/Campmates

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
teppy

Habitat for Insanity - Speakers/Campmates

Post by teppy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:06 pm

For two years we've focused on hand-tossed, wood-fired pizza and elaborate "shaven-not-stirred" alcoholic snow cones. We'll be doing both of those this year, but we're trying something a bit different, and I'm writing to see if there are others that might be interested in helping out.

We're putting together a series of daytime talks called "Crazy Ideas that Just Might Work." It's a series of lectures on novel/radical solutions to social, scientific, economic, or political problems. I'd like as many of these as possible to be given by those that believe they have a specific solution to a problem.

Over the years I have come up with solutions to these three problems, and I'll be giving one of our talks on one of them:

* A change to how litigation works that would eliminate most "nuisance" lawsuits by introducing an element of risk to the plaintiff.
* A modification to bid/ask markets (commodity, currency, stock, etc.) that greatly increases market depth and eliminates flash-crashes by making high-frequency trading expensive.
* An algorithm/framework for assessing land (not property) for purposes of taxation. I believe the algorithm is provably optimal if it were possible to implement. (NP-Complete)

These solutions don't have to be politically viable, at least not in the present. But they should be logically sound.

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”