First timer, experienced tinkerer looks for camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
outhouse
Burning Since: 2018

First timer, experienced tinkerer looks for camp

Post by outhouse » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:18 pm

It's my first time!
(Well, if I secure a ticket that is...)

I am an experienced builder (art installations, sculptures, houses), living in New England, who would like to find and join a camp where people are into the making of stuff.

Any hints are appreciated

Uwe

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: First timer, experienced tinkerer looks for camp

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Generally, the way to join a camp is to peruse the boards for camps that have announced their intentions to come to the playa this year (or that they're recruiting for new members), and also peruse the partial list of registered camps, and contact the ones that seem like they've got what you're looking for. This thread is also a pretty good read, and you may care to use the Spark Collaboration Tool (linked in my signature).

Good luck!

outhouse
Burning Since: 2018

Post by outhouse » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:38 am

Thank you, I didn't know about the spark collaboration tool.
Really good reading...

Uwe

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:57 pm

You could find your local regional, and perhaps find a project to work on now.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:33 am

Most of the building takes place off-playa before the event. There are two good things to do, get involved with whatever regional organizations you can to learn who's doing what in your area, or... just go to Black Rock City. When you are there, you'll meet and find out what people you blend with, what projects interest you, or maybe even what Burning Man organizations you might want to volunteer for next year. Most Burning Man organizations, whether it's DPW, Lamplighters, Rangers, whatever - can always use someone who knows how to do things. You'll still have a great time this year.
Most people's first year is their "discovery" year... you don't really know what BRC is until you go, and then you go home all full of "Oh man, next year I'm gonna build this, bring that, work with these people, camp with those people" etc.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”