Only second burn - how can I find a camp with RV hookups?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
divegirl
Burning Since: 2011

Only second burn - how can I find a camp with RV hookups?

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:56 pm

I'd like to camp somewhere where I can plug in my RV. I am willing to pay, obviously, to join such a camp. I am also willing to volunteer in the camp to help out. Can anyone point me in the right direction to where to look for such a thing? I need a camp with power and space for a 28' motorhome.

Thank you in advance!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Only second burn - how can I find a camp with RV hookups

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

The only RV hookups are the ones you bring with you.

{[I've edited to add:]
I'm moving this over to the 2013 Camps board, since that's a better fit for this kind of 'seeking camp' post.

The best advice I can give is to start being radically self reliant and take some initiative. Look around, do a tiny bit of reading or research, there are tons of camps out there. Many posting on the theme camps board, and many more on the recently published partial list of registered camps. Find something that interests you, and reach out to them and ask if they're taking new members. See the How To Join A Camp thread, it's got great info. When inquiring, make sure to ask about amenities that matter to you (if they can provide power, have showers, etc). Good luck!

divegirl

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:05 pm

ok. Well, in my first year at the Burn we camped with a camp based in utah that brought a large generator. You paid a fee to camp with them, and they provided electrical hookups. I thought there would be more camps like that. Seems weird I would luck into the only one in BRC my first year. Anyway, that camp is no more, so that's why I am looking.

Thank you.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm

When a camp has enough RVs, it can be cheaper for them to rent a big diesel generator to tie everyone into, and some do, apparently like the one you stayed with. However, such privileges are rarely offered on a for-sale basis to strangers.
Most years I've been to the playa, I was on Burning Man's power - but I always had my own, and fuel to run it, because when it comes to such things you can't count on anyone but yourself out there.

It doesn't hurt to ask around, but even if you get an offer, come prepared in case it doesn't work out!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Your other option besides a camp with a large communal gennie is to try to camp with a camp that has access to the grid near First Camp/Center Camp. I was with one of those camps the last two years, and just plugged right in. Was great. Had no idea it was even an option until then.

divegirl

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Thank you all!!! I appreciate the info.

I have located a group from my hometown that has a setup, and has openings they are willing to share/sell for a payment of dues, willingness to volunteer, and a share of the final power cost split up evenly. (I am not an unknown burner to this crowd, and they are very kind people. We have quite a strong burner culture in Salt Lake. I know, weird, right?) I actually don't have tickets yet, I'm crossing my fingers for STEP to work out. But, I'm glad for the information so I can be ready to go at a moment's notice. :) Thanks again, everyone!

Hugs,

Divegirl

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Why don't you just buy a geni? Radical self reliance? Don't pay someone when you can just do it your self. When I first read this I thought it was a joke, sadly it is not. *sigh*
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

divegirl

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:17 pm

I have a generator in the RV. I am concerned that we will not have enough fuel for the time frame, so I'm looking for backup alternatives.

Thanks for your rueful disdain.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:55 pm

So bring more fuel? Run things only when needed. You have an rv, lots of space to be able to bring quite a few 5 gallon gas tanks. Just don't smoke in the rv while hauling.
My husband and I own a 30 person theme camp. We are using 10 gallons of gas all week for a 2000w geni.
Come on you have to some if not all of this burn on your own. Radical self reliance PLEASE and that does not mean paying someone to do it for you, :?

Also just need to say something and I'm not telling you how to burn, but just offering to trade volunteering in camp for whatever you need is not the way to do it. You should be willing to volunteer in AND out of camp for the good of the community. There are many spot on the playa that need voleenteers such as ice, gate,DMV (to late for that now) . I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible , you are going about the burn in the completely wrong way and don't get the priciples or just don't care about them. I find that very heartbreaking. :(
Last edited by tattoogoddess on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:02 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Are you serious???

Please, OP, please, just stay home.

[response redacted out of respect for TOS]

*closes mouth tightly*
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

divegirl

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Listen, I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot, here. Please do not assume that I am a complete newb at this, or that I would not volunteer anyway (I DO, I do it for the regional burn here, too, and for nothing in return--I don't even accept the volunteer discount for the ticket that they offer. It is a great burn thrown entirely by volunteers who have a great time--the best times, in my opinion, are during the volunteering because you get to know your fellow burners so much better. It's fun.) I simply had a specific question, and so I asked about that specific thing and did not elaborate. I understand that we can bring extra fuel, and already planned on it. We do not smoke, so no problem hauling it. We will get by, whichever way we choose to do so.

You have assumed from one question I asked--the first thing I ever asked on eplaya, BTW, that I am an idiot, selfish with volunteering, and non-self reliant. None of these things are true. You have also told me to stay home. Thanks. Allow me to remind you of one of the ten principles:

"Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. :arrow: We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community."

Perhaps you should brush up on that one. I have full faith in you that you are self-reliant, able to dress in great costumes, volunteer your asses off, run a great theme camp, and pretty much out-sarcasm and be a know it all to anyone you meet. Congratulations. You have my respect for part of those qualities.

One of the reasons I wanted to camp with a group was for a sense of community. That is also why I searched out one from home, who has people that I know running it. I like to hang out with friends, help out around the place, and be a part of. I also love to meet friendly new people on the playa. I wonder what would have happened if we'd met there instead of here, on the anonymous internet, where the worst in people so often comes blurting out hurtfully to faceless strangers.

Have a great burn. We will be fine, but thanks for all of your advice.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:59 pm

divegirl wrote:
"Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. :arrow: We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community."

Perhaps you should brush up on that one. I have full faith in you that you are self-reliant, able to dress in great costumes, volunteer your asses off, run a great theme camp, and pretty much out-sarcasm and be a know it all to anyone you meet. Congratulations. You have my respect for part of those qualities.

One of the reasons I wanted to camp with a group was for a sense of community. That is also why I searched out one from home, who has people that I know running it. I like to hang out with friends, help out around the place, and be a part of. I also love to meet friendly new people on the playa. I wonder what would have happened if we'd met there instead of here, on the anonymous internet, where the worst in people so often comes blurting out hurtfully to faceless strangers.
You payed to play last year and are doing it again this year or at least wanting to. You came in here asking for a place to plug in. You DIDNOT come here asking about camps, what kind of camp people you want to be around, anything about you. You simply asked for a place to pay to plug in... Thus plug and play. This is NOT radical self reliance. Sure radical inclusion, but not to those in MY eyes who are chipping away what burning man was built on. Only in the past few years have this whole "I pay someone x amount of dollars to provided me a place to park my rv and have things provided to me" started. This is not what the burn was built on and alot of people are not fans of it.
I'm not saying rv's are bad ( I don't get it, I like the roughing it of my tent) but hell, how hard is it to not show up, pay some one and plug in?
You stated you have a geni. Why pay to plug in? Bring gas, run a geni.

I will say it again, you did not come here to find a camp to be a part of. You never said I want a camp with these activities or these types of people or with this many people. You simply asked for a camp to plug into. Back pedal all you want, but those are your words. It would have been a different story if you approached the posting in a different matter and did not portray your self as a pay to play person. You simply just want to pay someone to make it easier on your self. :?

Also those who know me will tell you, I would have said this directly to you if we met In person.

[edited: Eric]

divegirl

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:05 pm

I bow to your wisdom. Perhaps my introduction and words should have been chosen more carefully.

Thank you for what you have taught me.

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:05 pm

*biting my tongue*
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:21 pm

irony.

so thick you can slice it with a rusty butter knife.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Firstly - back off on the personal attacks. Now. Disagreeing is fine, snark is fine, personal attacks are too far.

For the original poster - if you're going to become a regular attendee at the Burn, the investment in owning a genny will pay off way more than the fees you're tossing at a camp just to get access to theirs. Yes, you have to carry a couple of gallons of fuel with you (make sure it's in a ventilated area!), but once you're set up you are independent of anyone elses needs. You can even run lights or a sound system off of it, depending on the size you get. If you want to go with a camp who will provide what you need, start looking in the Theme Camps forum for camps that are recruiting, or check under Theme Camps on the Burning site for any that sound interesting.

Note about RV's and the Org power-grid (Center Camp & the 3 & 9 Plazas): those are explicitly not for RVs, they are for running the infrastructure necessary to make the camp interactive (lights, power for amps etc if there is music, refrigeration for bar or food camps, etc). Last year we were informed on getting placed in Center Camp that if they discovered a camp was using the power-grid for RVs, beyond basic lighting, that the camp could lose access to the grid - ie, you run the RV air off the grid, you lose access to it. We disconnected from the grid & ran a separate generator for when we wanted the air on in the afternoons, and brought the fuel to power our genny.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

divegirl

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Thank you very much, Eric.

Your information is very helpful. I would not want to be caught plugging in somewhere where I was not allowed to do so. :shock:

Our RV generator is fine, is just that we inherited this RV from my husband's parents who both died this year, and we are unfamiliar with it. We are not campers by nature, so it is a whole new experience for us. When we attended the burn the first time, we had purchased a VERY old RV with a generator that did not work, and we had a generally catastrophic experience during that whole burn, basically (not just from the generator---we brought a backup geni, but SO many things went wrong that trip!!) I admit, I am a little gun-shy about being on my own entirely--hence the reaching out for what amounts to a security blanket for us, I suppose. We sold that RV the minute we got home from the burn in 2011, but not after taking a financial beating over it.

The RV we have now is more than a decade newer, and has a generator that has so far worked reliably, though we have only taken it out on one regional burn (4 days), so I still feel a little shaky. Perhaps after a few campouts and festivals I will feel much better about it and shake off my initial fears about being left powerless. I would like to purchase another backup generator (the previous one was borrowed) but do not have the funds before the burn.

I appreciate the help sincerely.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:42 pm

If I may ask, why are so seemingly insistent about having a geni?

No sarcasm, just curious. Course you can tell me it's none of my fucking business...

Okay I'm rambling now.

Hola and hello... :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

divegirl

Post by divegirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Hello Lucky!

Ok, I'll tell you, but you asked, ok? I suffer from severe hot flashes and night sweats. I bring cold packs to put in the freezer to use when necessary. Temperature can become quite an issue for me. That's all I'm willing to say about that.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:19 pm

divegirl wrote: shake off my initial fears about being left powerless. I would like to purchase another backup generator (the previous one was borrowed) but do not have the funds before
You do realize just how many people go with out power for a week right? I'm pretty sure most of them made it out. I had no power my first year. Was fine. Only reason we have one this year is to use power tools to build our camp, power lighting for the bar/communal camp, and charge a battery for a swamp cooler. Other wise I would t have power again this year. No need.

As far as hot flashes go, uses evaporative cooling. Buy/make one of those neck bands and put it in your ice cooler. Works better then the ice pack. (My camp from last year who is on here can tell ya) Come by blood bath and beyond. I make them to gift. I will give you a few. I guess I don't understand the night thing. It is like 40 out there at night. But whatever floats your boat I guess. Eplaya is chalked full of info for various solutions to the problems you face on playa.
Get out of your comfort zone as much as possible. Push your boundaries. It is fun! I don't like being naked in front of people due to my weight, well the shower at camp broke, we have to use the buddy system. My buddy was. 400 pound man who I had never met. Some one else rinsing down my who-ha... Yep. That will get you out of your comfort zone. Thanks doc! Haha. The rest of the week I kept pushing my self to live out side my box. It did some great things for me.
The playa is not ment to be an easy place or have all the comforts of home. I dare you next year to "rough" it. Meaning tent it up. You don't have the option to hide in the rv comforts. It makes you get out there. (Part of why I don't rv it nor do I want to ever)
Last edited by tattoogoddess on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I just discovered the downside of being a moderator. :|

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:45 pm

As a fellow Utahn, I can assure you, that Divegirl knows about evaporative coolers. We have them on the roofs of our fucking houses here.

As women of a certain age, sometimes we have different needs than ... you. I know exactly what she is talking about. I have some of those very same needs myself. It could be 20 below zero, and the hot flashes and night sweats would do their dirty work. Divegirl is wise to make her choices based on her circumstances, not conforming to some ridiculous notion of how she "should" be doing it. I don't think divegirl is burning wrong, I think she is burning in a way which safeguards her physical health.

I had to go with BDC last year because of my health, to be close to kind friends with RVs and gennies in case of emergency. Fortunately, I can go back to Hushville this year. But I know I came this close to needing to be in an RV myself.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 pm

HI divegirl, drop by at E-11 and say hello. Heck, I probably already know you, just not sure. So many Utah burners.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 pm

I know that Bruno's Country Club and RV Park in Gerlach has spots for RVs, but I'm not sure that they have full hookups. I would imagine they do. You can google Bruno's to get the phone number to see if they will have any spots available during the Burning Man festival and if they indeed have full hookups. You can use Green Tortoise for transit between BRC and Gerlach for I believe $20.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

International Incident
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Shambala wrote:I just discovered the downside of being a moderator. :|
I still love you. But it sucks to be you.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 pm

CornMan wrote:I know that Bruno's Country Club and RV Park in Gerlach has spots for RVs, but I'm not sure that they have full hookups. I would imagine they do. You can google Bruno's to get the phone number to see if they will have any spots available during the Burning Man festival and if they indeed have full hookups. You can use Green Tortoise for transit between BRC and Gerlach for I believe $20.

Teehehehe :lol:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Goddammit, lighten the fuck up everyone!
This is Burning Man, not a hippie Rainbow Gathering! Why the need for electricity? Well let's see... lights, air conditioners, blenders, microwaves, all that cool shit that you can bring.
There's nothing wrong with having power at Burning Man. Hell, I run more 120VAC electric power on my mutant vehicle than most run in their camps. It's Black Rock City, we light shit up!

I still think our object of discussion, the original poster, would be wide to bring fuel and be ready to make her own power, but if she found a camp with a central generator, well fucking awesome!!

Chill out everyone, we'll all be partying together soon, and we'll all do our own camps our own way, and we'll all meet at the meet & greet at Barbie Death Village and have a ball.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:16 pm

International Incident wrote:

Come to the dark side......

International Incident

Post by International Incident » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

AntiM wrote:
International Incident wrote:

Come to the dark side......
I would suck at it!

International Incident

Post by International Incident » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Goddammit, lighten the fuck up everyone!

Chill out everyone, we'll all be partying together soon, and we'll all do our own camps our own way, and we'll all meet at the meet & greet at Barbie Death Village and have a ball.
love it!

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”