Only second burn - how can I find a camp with RV hookups?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Only second burn - how can I find a camp with RV hookups

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 am

yes, i must admit i was turned off by the wording of the original post, but as usual, you cannot judge a book by it's cover, and just like when you tell a Joke to a european, and it just doesnt work, the miscommunication factor was high.

i regret making a nasty page two comment now.

sorry.

Welcome to Eplaya, pardon the fuckos.
Frida Be You & Me

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:00 am

We are all Bozos on this bus, in some form or another. I want a ride on CaptainGodDammits boat.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:11 am

ygmir wrote:but see TTG, that's just it:
you are good enough, pretty enough and smart enough, many think your tattoos are super cool, and love your outfits........and if "they" don't see it, fuck em.
you don't need anyone's permission or acceptance, to have all the fun you want, any way you want (again, with the stepping on toes metaphor).

and that door swings both ways. Others only have the power over you, that you give them.
so, if their opinions don't count, why would it bother you?
Conversely, if you love tents, rattlesnakes, lemon pudding and rubber boots, and others think you're nuts, so the fuck what?
do what you like, share with whom you will, and allow others the same dignity.
Judge not...............

just some random thoughts
This is why People love you Yggy! "lemon pudding and rubber boots" is why I love you!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:13 am

(((Delle)))

(((VultureChow))) !!!

Yes. If she hadn't opened with a request for someone else to find her a plug & play camp, she might have met with less disrespect.

I think that the one thing unhappy newbies fail to note about this board, is that we do not come here to pontifically offer advice to all and sundry. Your Burn is Your Burn; do it, or do not do it, as you please. People who participate here are welcome to discuss anything!!! But drive-by requests for assistance are rarely rewarded.

And I would argue further, that as a group here our efforts to discourage helpless dependency and encourage intelligent preparedness are an asset to Black Rock City.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 am

I think people are high-strung cuz it's coming up fast and most of us are scrambling to get our shit together.
No matter what happened on eplaya, I never met anyone from here on the real playa that wasn't super cool and friendly in person. Well.... except that crotchety old coot unjonharley. He's just too ugly.
Things on eplaya afterwards always go much nicer after we've met and become real-life friends rather than just faceless electronic ones behind a keyboard. We're all burners.

Edit: " as a group here our efforts to discourage helpless dependency and encourage intelligent preparedness are an asset to Black Rock City." - yes that's exactly right!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

delle

Post by delle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:07 am

The original post was actually just a plea for direction... like a million others in here. That's what we do, isn't it? Come in here looking for direction, then end up helping by giving it once we've got a little bit to share? (with a ton o' fun on the side, of course!)

There's no mention of plug-n-play, just a request for a service (which is offered by many camps if I'm not mistaken) for a fee and volunteer services. What is a camp but shared resources to a common end?

Granted, the question was an easy mark for this crowd.

Granted, it wasn't until further down that we discovered the real need for the power. Still, it shouldn't matter if the hookup is needed for medical reasons or for a sparklepony's hair curler. She is offering her services (and money) for a spot in a camp with a certain commodity. If we are going to start calling THAT a plug-n-play, then anyone not camping completely solo is doing it wrong.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 am

Just to make it clear for some who might not understand the RV lingo, RV hookups means electricity supplied, pressurized water connected to the RV, and big hoses to take the waste water and poop away. I think even the most ardent of city slicker princes and princesses here would say that would be taking things too far. It would be like joining a hiking club and then riding in a helicopter to the hiking destinations.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

CapnJoe

Post by CapnJoe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 am

I hope this isn't the way Burning Man is going. I can see temporary power cords running up the streets, garbage trucks picking up cans, and a Huge water tower next to the Man. We already have water delivery and holding tank suckers, what's next? :shock:

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 am

So people with health concerns should just stay home? Or people who are out there much longer than you and I who put up big art or the city for that matter?

Jesus you guys are fucking harsh...

Does it really affect you if someone chooses to stay in an RV or not?

I'm not a fan of the big RV roped off camps, but it doesn't affect my burn one bit...

:coffee: :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 am

As I pointed out, Larry Harvey has a camp with RVs and hookup to a big central diesel generator.
Danger Ranger, the original Black Rock Ranger, has an RV. An old silver one.
There is electricity all over BRC, have you noticed a few lights at night?

delle

Post by delle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 am

Cornman hit the nail on the head here. The OP hung herself with a misnomer in the title that wasn't rectified until her second post. By then, it seems that few were reading the real need, having already pegged her as a "full service" kinda gal.

Not everyone comes in here adept at playing this peculiar game right from the get-go. I find it a shame we can't accommodate this particular weakness just a bit better with a few well-placed questions rather than a heap of judgement.

Shel Silverstein

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:36 am

I've been guilty of the RV thing myself - if you can consider my junky old Toyota motorhome such a guilt. This year will be my first time in a tent, and I'm excited about getting closer to the playa. If it wasn't for eplaya, I would have not have known that such a thing would be a goal. I think the judgement of not camping, not wearing costumes, not participating, not being inclusive, etc is actually healthy for our festival that sets itself apart from all the others. If nobody ever said anything about any of this, Burning Man would get watered down to normalcy before too long. The way it is now, we have newbies coming from all the world excited and up to the challenge about jumping full in on our twisted little event.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever

delle

Post by delle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 am

But there you have it. "Guilty" of RVism.

Isn't Diversity one of the biggest charms of Burning man, if you come right down to it? If we all did it the same, so much of the experience would be lost to.... well.... sameness.

Shel Silverstein

otakup0pe
Burning Since: 2012

Post by otakup0pe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:52 am

VultureChow wrote:I think we all clicked on here expecting some sort of train wreck or troll.
I expect that on every thread I click.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:52 am

delle wrote:But there you have it. "Guilty" of RVism.

Isn't Diversity one of the biggest charms of Burning man, if you come right down to it? If we all did it the same, so much of the experience would be lost to.... well.... sameness.
Yeah, the sea of tents at the European festivals does look pretty generic. That's why I love the hexayurts, domes, monkey huts, and whatever people dream up next.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:55 am

delle wrote:But there you have it. "Guilty" of RVism.

Exactly!

This isn't the playa.

We'll never know what contributions we miss.

What do we lose by chasing people off instead of being helpfull?

What do we gain with this heavy handed filtering proccess? :(
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

delle

Post by delle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:04 am

Agreed most indeedly!!!

And that coming from the mouth of Mr. "Just build it" himself!!!

Shel Silverstein

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:09 am

I do my posts to give people ideas.

I hope they don't come across as "This you must do!!!!!". :oops:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:26 am

This was a nice thread to read....truly. It got a little dicey there for a bit, but it's always nice to see sanity prevail on eplaya. I thought OP was gonna get her ass excavated, but the reasoned defenses should up just in time. Last year was my first year in my old motorhome girl and I loved every minute of it.

delle

Post by delle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 am

FIGJAM wrote:I do my posts to give people ideas.

I hope they don't come across as "This you must do!!!!!". :oops:

Oh, hell no, Figgy. Dude!!! I was merely alluding to the fact that one of the best known "you can do this yourself" peeps was condoning some kind of understanding towards those who maybe aren't so able (lets not forget that we don't all have the same abilities - physical, financial or otherwise) to do it all themselves rather than brushing them off without a second thought.

I knew I should go back and temper that post with a smiley face and an "I love you, Mr. Terrific", but the damned site pooped out on me.

:roll:

Shel Silverstein

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:45 am

MegsLegs wrote:I'm always curious when someone's first post is asking for something- particularly when looking for a pay-for-service- and then you never hear from them again.
How is 8 posts in this thread never being heard from again?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:02 pm

An RN I met in 2010 was burning for the first time and picked up five (FIVE!) Emergency Services shifts, each of them between 8 and 12 hours long.

"Five shifts during your first Burn!" I said, amazed.
"I've raised 4 boys," she said. "This is nothing."

She was camping in an RV with her husband, who was also volunteering. She's Burned every year since, and has patched up hundreds of us by now.

We can't necessarily know what people are bringing to the table by what their sleeping arrangements are.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Savannah wrote:
We can't necessarily know what people are bringing to the table by what their sleeping arrangements are.
Hmmm....

:)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I think people are high-strung cuz it's coming up fast and most of us are scrambling to get our shit together.
Bang! You hit that nail!

Divegirl, if you come back to eplaya, I have been thinking this thing through and wish to offer my analysis. (Which, of course, could be wrong. Sometimes, I'm perceptive. Other times, I'm in a wacky world of my own...)
This board is skewed towards makers, doers, camp leads, people who build art cars, and so forth. Look at the work in progress thread, the show your swag thread, the start with what you have costume thread, just spend some time looking around the board. (Or don't. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I think these things illustrate the quality of some of the great people we have around here.)
We also love the event, and worry about it rotting away into something worthless and commercial, filled with people who don't make or do... The implications n this thread strike fear and anger into many of us. So, as noted, your first post came across as air-headed, sparklepony....
Unfortunately, this place (eplaya) can devolve into total schoolyard politics at the drop of a hat. Then it's all who's popular, who's friends with whom, who got more hazing than who else, and 83 other stupid things.
And, the pre-playa jitters...

divegirl--I'm sorry you went through this. I cannot apologize for other people's behavior, but I cringed when I read some of those posts. I hope you come back, but I'll understand if you don't.

And I need power, too. That's the first thing, just about, that I ask about when I consider a camp. And I'm totally happy to pay for the gas, or whatever, but I can't carry a gennie, or even a gas can. So, I am radically dependent...
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Well said.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Eric wrote:
Note about RV's and the Org power-grid (Center Camp & the 3 & 9 Plazas): those are explicitly not for RVs, they are for running the infrastructure necessary to make the camp interactive (lights, power for amps etc if there is music, refrigeration for bar or food camps, etc). Last year we were informed on getting placed in Center Camp that if they discovered a camp was using the power-grid for RVs, beyond basic lighting, that the camp could lose access to the grid - ie, you run the RV air off the grid, you lose access to it. We disconnected from the grid & ran a separate generator for when we wanted the air on in the afternoons, and brought the fuel to power our genny.
That's good to know, actually. We were never told that, or the info was ignored by our camp leaders (who are themselves affiliated with the BMORG) and not passed on to the rest of the camp.

MegsLegs

Post by MegsLegs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
MegsLegs wrote:I'm always curious when someone's first post is asking for something- particularly when looking for a pay-for-service- and then you never hear from them again.
How is 8 posts in this thread never being heard from again?
8 posts is a third of what I've managed in 3 years- if she sticks around, she'll outpost me in 3 threads. She also has 0 posts in other threads (I haven't checked, I'm assuming they are all in here or were at the time of posting)

I did say (and mean) "someone's" not the OP- and was speaking about a tendency for some new posters who don't read the posting etiquette and dont take the time to introduce themselves or engage with the board except to post their requirements (RV Hookups, Camp with meal plan near Esplanade, Swinger Camps etc). If she doesn't ever post again or contribute to the board in any thread other than this one (I was guessing that this was her only thread- correct me if I'm wrong) she will be in that category. I don't even think there's anything wrong with those kinds of posters- but can also completely understand the initial reaction people have had to the posts can't you?

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:=

So, I am radically dependent...
Every single person here is. Nobody weaves their own tent from material they themselves harvested. Nobody has produced the toilet paper they bring and consume. Nobody built the bike/car/RV they drove to the playa in, and if they did, they certainly didn't mine for the raw ore to make the metal for its frame.

Radical self-reliance is a bit of a canard as the hallmark of living in civilization is radical dependence on each other and the institutions/infrastructure created by folks who came before us.

You want to be radically self-reliant? There are experiences like that you can have, where folks will drop you off in the forest or jungle with a knife and some matches, and pick you up again in a few days. That's a lot closer to radical self-reliance than camping with a car or truck (purchased or rented) full of modern conveniences (most of which were purchased or rented), while surrounded by 50,000 people, almost all of whom will help you out if you get in trouble.

To me, radical self-reliance in the Burning Man style is less about pointless and arbitrary adherence to some principle and more about not burdening your campmates and/or neighbors because you couldn't bother to prepare correctly.

delle

Post by delle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 pm

DrYes wrote: To me, radical self-reliance in the Burning Man style is less about pointless and arbitrary adherence to some principle and more about not burdening your campmates and/or neighbors because you couldn't bother to prepare correctly.
Smack!

(take that as a head-hit nail, or as a sloppy smooch. it's both, really)

So, like.... ditto that!!

Shel Silverstein

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 pm

delle wrote:
DrYes wrote: To me, radical self-reliance in the Burning Man style is less about pointless and arbitrary adherence to some principle and more about not burdening your campmates and/or neighbors because you couldn't bother to prepare correctly.
Smack!

(take that as a head-hit nail, or as a sloppy smooch. it's both, really)

So, like.... ditto that!!
Thanks! Got a little tongue with that smooch. Tastes like strawberries.

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”