Camp near folks without generators 8:15/G

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
photon

Camp near folks without generators 8:15/G

Post by photon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:56 am

Does anyone want to camp near 8:15 and G somewhere and put as many people without generators as possible in the area with us? We have a camp of about 20 something folks and our rule has always been no funkin generators. I bring quite a large solar system and can charge your small gadgets and of course help with any advice setting up your own solar system. Every year we wait till we're there to try and bring non gennie folks in but might as well coordinate now and eliminate any chance of someone with a gennie popping up right next to us. Every year we meet great folks on the playa with the same desire and they get excited saying they'll camp next to us the following year but they all flake out and I never hear from them. I realize generators have a place for lots of folks and not trying to say those folks are not trying but why not create a quarter to a half a block without them if many of us are seeking the same thing? I used to set up a large solar infrastructure for camps other than mine but my used to be 8 KWH battery bank is now 7 years old and therefore will just be providing power for our own 20 or so folks. Of course a couple other friends in camp have solar too. This is probably a good opportunity for any of you seeking to take the step into solar as I'll be around to help guide you with any setup or specialized tools if you've felt intimidated by it for any reason. Panels are cheap now and most folks already have a deep cycle battery bank in their RV. Now is the time to leave the gennie and gas cans at home. A 250 watt panel, wires, fuses and BZ Power charge controller setup than can produce about 800 watt hours of usable power will set you back about $600 these days. Yes, that panel would be able to do that for the next 20 years or so. It's easier than you think! I can help you source the equipment at that cost as well but I'm not here to make a sale. You don't need solar to camp near us, just no stinkin gennie! Feel free to email me at zoranisis@mac.com if interested as I'm busy and may not come back to the Eplaya too often.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Camp near folks without generators 8:15/G

Post by lemur » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 am

theyve already got half of a double block for that (..an entire long skinny block)

of course you wont be able to be where you want to be..

http://www.hushville.com/home/

placed on half of a double block at D and 5:00.
Don't link to anything here!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:10 am

I'm giving this a nudge to the 2013 camps board, since that's a better fit for trying to connect with campmates and neighbors. I've also added the target address to the subject line, good luck connecting with like-minded folks and making your own awesome 'hood.

strange love
Burning Since: 2011

Post by strange love » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:14 am

I could be down for this! I'm going solo this year and will be bringing my small solar set-up as well. I'm trying to camp around 8:30 and D but perhaps I'll check to see if I can find you in the neighborhood :coffee:

tbucks
Burning Since: 2013

Post by tbucks » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:41 am

We are a small group 4-5 that wanted to camp in that area. We have no generators, just a couple huts and tents. Seems like we could group together, we were planning on arriving around 630am monday morning.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:16 pm

As mentioned, there are already areas like this. Hushville and AEZ (Alternative Energy Zone) come to mind.
Enjoy your lack of air conditioning :)
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Photon, run with it. Even though Hushville and AEZ exist, there's no reason you can't form your own unregistered freestyle no-generator camp emphasizing solar or whathaveyou. Judging by the responses of Tbucks and Strange Love, there are likeminded people.

If you want to try for placement earlier next year you might get it, provided you are distinct and have differences from other quiet villages. Maybe solar is the difference, maybe not; you'll figure it out. Cool idea.

I get along fine without A/C, Captain Goddammit, but I'm a notorious weirdo.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 pm

I've heard that there are people who survive the midday heat without sleeping in dark air-conditioned places... quite weird.
I bet you turn colors to match your background too :)

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I've heard that there are people who survive the midday heat without sleeping in dark air-conditioned places... quite weird.
I bet you turn colors to match your background too :)
I do. :) I tan, and my hair lightens, until I am very nearly playa-colored entirely, and thusly better able to evade predators.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

photon

Post by photon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Alright, strange love and T-bucks hit me up offline and let's do it. Thanks for the nudge Trilo, one of these years I may register it as a theme camp but overall we'd like to keep it loose enough so nobody has to be "in charge" (except for the batteries). I don't plan on coming up with any "master plan" as I'm planning on leaving most of the responsibility part of myself back in the default world that week. Yes Mr Goshdurnit I'm quite aware of other camps that are quiet or gennie free but we're wishing to do our own thing elsewhere and quite sure there are a few places to do it in addition to them. Yes, some of us can actually survive without creating an air conditioned space at everyone else's expense. Some do it responsibly with a bit of concern for others, most don't. That's cool (pun intended) people are out there being comfortable in their RV enjoying their own experience but it's easy enough to make a little effort to bring a group of like minded folks to a place we can distance ourselves from it a bit. I prefer the generators be saved for the large sound systems. The effort to bring renewables other than a gennie to run our fans, lighting, pumps and refrigeration have rewarded us for the last 13 years on the playa and there have been times we've ran AC and evap coolers as well but this year the camp will be too large for a seven year old battery bank that's a bit too small for the task. I don't turn colors but I do shed sometimes. I can make some pretty funny faces in the litterbox too! Meowmix.....

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:46 pm

photon wrote: Yes, some of us can actually survive without creating an air conditioned space at everyone else's expense. Some do it responsibly with a bit of concern for others, most don't.... I prefer the generators be saved for the large sound systems.
"creating an air conditioned space at everyone else's expense" (really?)

"I prefer the generators be saved for the large sound systems." (playing the music they like at the rest of us, at volume far beyond the loudest generator in BRC)

:roll:

lemur

Post by lemur » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm

someone had to say it..

i guess it is good it wasnt me!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:16 pm

NO THANKS.

I think the generator noise will be is less annoying than the noise made by a bunch of self-riteous, arrogant noise-snobs who think everyone else at BRC is a bunch of inconsiderate and selfish comfort-assholes.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Does'nt everyone want their asshole to be comfortable and quiet? :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lemur

Post by lemur » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:26 pm

THE 1ST ANNUAL BLACK ROCK CITY GO-PED 250!! short track racing at its best!

250 LAPS AROUND the half block at G and E ..join us at the starting line, at 8:15 and G for an amazing race!!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:29 pm

With a great big photo finish since they'll all be going 5mph. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

photon

Post by photon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Sweet!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:27 am

I'm a little disappointed. I got my early entry pass and it says...

If you are a CORE project lead or an Honorarium Art project lead, please make sure that you or
somebody assigned by you, checks in at the ARTery on arrival. The ARTery is located near 6:30 on
the Esplanade.

If you are a placed camp, you must contact your camp’s Placer upon arrival. When in doubt, ask a
Placer; they can confirm placement for you.

If the Placement Team did not map your camp and you are placing yourself – follow these guidelines:

 Any area from G to L is available for open camping, unless it is flagged. Any camp or camper
that did not submit a Placement Questionnaire can camp from G to L, outside of the flags

 Only campers in mapped and flagged camps are allowed between G and the Esplanade.

In 2008 I couldn't camp where I liked until the gates opened. I understand. Why should the early crowd get all the prime real estate but I like to camp across from Kidville and Hushville. No noisy generators. No loud art cars at night etc...It throws a wrench into finding my campmates.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:44 am

I'm in the same boat with a volunteer EA. It's a new thing for this year, and I'm sure they'll get plenty of feedback.
I know there *was* a period of time where volunteers/artists could apply for placement, but as an individual, I didn't want to get committed to a particular random address.
I'm just gonna head in and hope for the best- I suspect it will be a good Burn.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 am

Okay, we're setting up out on L and 8:30. What day do you want to converge and take out all the pansies comfort zones along the way?

photon

Post by photon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm

We'll be coming in with the public Sunday evening so doubtful we'll figure things out till the morning but I should probably be more optimistic. Typically lots of people coming in and everyone looking for their ideal spot with a bit of excitement and road weariness and big spaces become rare in a hurry. Like Joe said, "heading in and hoping for the best". In all likelihood we may even be out as far as Holy or Interstellar but I doubt everyone else in my camp is willing to go out as far as L. We should also have a backup plan and meet up on the playa and make a more solid plan for next year if it doesn't work out. Would love to have a laid back theme camp next year so we could bring a bit more equipment and get in early to get it all set up.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:34 am

I got an email today that says the gates open at 6pm. True?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Ratty wrote:I got an email today that says the gates open at 6pm. True?
Confirmed here:http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... /gate.html
The Gate opens in early August for pre-event traffic (only people with early entry passes are allowed in prior to the first day of the event), then opens for all participants at 6pm on the Sunday prior to the Man Burn, and is open 24 hours a day throughout the event.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”