Dont have a camp? Join us!!!

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Jake Squirel
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Looking for a chill camp to join...

Re: Dont have a camp? Join us!!!

Post by Jake Squirel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Did you end up getting a location???

JohnnySquirel

Gorgeous Orifice
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Gorgeous Orifice » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi all,

I was a part of this camp last year and I figure I'd mention some things that are easy to forget to bring.

Tarp – generally useful. You could put it under your tent to help protect it, or somehow over your tent for shade.
Good tent stakes – worth researching what stakes to get so your tent doesn't fly away. I used to keep a case of water in my tent for insurance.
Sleeping surface, pillow, warming layers, ear plugs – know what you need to get a good night's rest. You may want to invest in a small blanket for a quick and easy way to warm yourself around camp, instead of having to change.
Sacrificial rug – We already have a large hotel rug, but considering how many people we have now, one or two more couldn't hurt.
Christmas lights – I don't think we have any yet, so if anyone's got some, they're great for decorating and a good way to identify our camp in the middle of the night. Speaking of which, we should probably have a sign or marker of some kind—something to identify us as Camp Hotel Rug.
Kitchen paraphernalia – Everyone always forgets something small like a sponge or a spoon. Garbage bags are a must. Then again, I think we've got each other covered with this. Convenient foods such as nuts, fruit(dried of otherwise), beef jerky, snack packs, and chips are good, but you'll definitely want some hot food if possible. If so, remember things like oil to cook with or salt.
Bike – will make your experience at BM extremely convenient, so bring one if possible. You can get them for cheap in Reno.
Portable cup – Free booze is provided everywhere, but you're expected to have your own drinking container.
Personal hand sanitizer
Hat - preferable with a way to fasten it so that it won't blow away.
Spray bottles – A cool mist on your face can sometimes feel divine in the desert.
A book or board/card game – for when you just want to kill some time at camp.
Tickets – Every year, a good handful of people forgets their tickets. This should be the first and last thing to make sure you have(unless you have a will-call ticket, then make sure you have your confirmation number).

Also, just to reiterate. We don't have a set location. The first of us to arrive will grab the best space we can. We will post the location of this space on the signpost at 7 & C and will also register where we are at Playa Info under Camp Hotel Rug. According to the Burning Man website, Playa Info will be at Center Camp & 6, and the Playa Info directory will be manned from 9am to 6pm. So the earliest we may be able to register is Monday morning. We will be trying to find a place somewhere around the 8:30 & H area. Though as we get more and more people, I think we'll have to find a place further back.

To anyone who wants to join, everyone is welcome. But please make sure to confirm in this google doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... MNGc#gid=0
This is so we can plan for everyone and make sure there is enough space. I'll leave it to Drmilamores to decide when we've had enough people.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Sincerely,
Key

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Not to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but since you are looking to camp on the 8:30 spoke wouldn't it be better if you put up a sign on 8:30 and say.. L in order to facilitate finding the camp? Much easier since you don't have to drive inward then over, then back out again. Shit will get hectic that far in on 7&C. You're welcome, that's just my gift to you!

Bonus: On 8:30&L you only have two corners= less confusion/ easier to see your sign
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Gorgeous Orifice

Post by Gorgeous Orifice » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm

True. I'm just paranoid about changing things unnecessarily and possibly confusing someone. Meh, Think I'll just put up an extra sign at 8:30 & H along with the one on 7 & C. So I can rest easy.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:23 pm

That's kind. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Savannah wrote:That's kind. :)
I start my gifting of good/bad ideas usually around this time of year, it just feels right..

Last year my neighbors almost had their golfcart running and ready to go to DMV, when I decided to go insert my expertise in the matter. It never ran again. I'm not called jackass for nothing.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

dankjockey
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Copious

Post by dankjockey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 pm

No matter where you camp, write ur camp address down on your body in marker.

why u ask.

Last year after setting up camp, JR and I went for a ride. We were lost for an hour but then found camp ate dinner left again. This time we got split up. It took me literally ten hours of riding my bike up and down streets to find camp. JR was gone for almost 24 hours and we didnt find him til he texted where he was and we picked him up. I know what ur thinking but there was no partying involved he was sober the whole time :shock:

Side note: Always wait 48 hours before reporting someone as missing.

Theraplst
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Post by Theraplst » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:41 pm

dankjockey wrote:No matter where you camp, write ur camp address down on your body in marker.

I agree with this: last year I wrote clearly on my arm with sharpee "Return to 5:35+F/G if lost" :)
They call me simba

Spring
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Spring » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:13 am

Hi there,
It seems that we'll arrive after you all settled. Contact us in case you have any last min. wishes .
We'll stop in Reno for last minute shopping and will be happy to help .

SHAKEY

Post by SHAKEY » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 am

I'm just checkin' back in... I didn't see any response to my request to join you? I know location is super important but when you get a moment, please let me know if you are still open for one more to join. By the response, It looks like it's going to be reasonably big camp. Thanks - Have a nice day. Shakey :)

BabyG

Post by BabyG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:56 am

Howdy friends!

My name is BabyG, I'm a 7 year veteran Burner from Toronto, Canada.

I was planning to take the year off Burning Man to save up for other adventures but was offered a free ticket and low cost ride which got me excited to go. Unfortunately that all fell through but now I'm jazzed to go, dogh!

The last two years I went I was on the outer ring. I am hoping to secure a spot at a theme camp.

Do you, or a group you know of, have room for myself and possibly others to join you??

Please email allisongreenbaum1@gmail.com (you can also check me out on facebook with that name with (G) after it in brackets.. ) or call/text 416.627.1985 as soon as you are able to!

I'm a super cool, super fun, laid back, cute, friendly gal who would make a great and smooth addition to any zone!

Much love, hope to hear from you sooon!

-BabyG :)
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened"- BabyG (",) xxx

cshonk
Camp Name: Hotel Rug

Post by cshonk » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 am

I"m so glad to have stumbled upon this thread and all of you. I'm interested in joining as well. Total newbie but I camp/travel a lot and a handyman team player from Austin, Texas. I arrive on Thursday and am out Sunday. I don't don't really know the camp protocol to get included but I'm interested. Thanks! Chris

dankjockey

Post by dankjockey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Be aware! Burningman.org won a lawsuit recently that may have upset the police so word is they are being very strict this year and ticketing people for small things like public urination ($275 ticket also threatened to be charged as a sex offender). playa it safe - pee in the potties
Last edited by dankjockey on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stray Dog
Camp Name: Airport

Post by Stray Dog » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm

That's a nasty turn of events. You really shouldn't piss on the playa though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sundial
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Sundial » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:02 pm

dankjockey wrote:Be aware! Burningman.org won a lawsuit recently that may have upset the police so word is they are being very strict this year and ticketing people for small things like public urination ($275 ticket also threatened to be charged as a sex offender). playa it safe - pee in the potties
Is that that whole fiasco where Pershing County was trying to hike fees in violation of a previous agreement?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."

Drmilamores

Post by Drmilamores » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Hey guys ill be driving from Palm Springs on Saturday...let know if someone near may need to car pool!

vishram

Post by vishram » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:38 am

Lot of new friends joining in,
Airbender has created a nice spreadsheet to keep track of people and inventory, please add you name and inventory here, remember there are multiple tabs

A request: Once Camp Hotel Rugs has secured a spot can someone please update the location in this thread. It will be of great help for us beings arriving mid week.

Thanks you Dr. for the wonderful camp idea.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 am

vishram wrote:A request: Once Camp Hotel Rugs has secured a spot can someone please update the location in this thread. It will be of great help for us beings arriving mid week.
Do not count on this. There is no iron-clad reliable way to get this information out once someone is on the playa. This is why there are multiple fallbacks to find on the playa. Relax--it's part of the adventure.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

vishram

Post by vishram » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: Do not count on this. There is no iron-clad reliable way to get this information out once someone is on the playa. This is why there are multiple fallbacks to find on the playa. Relax--it's part of the adventure.
All set for the adventure!!

Question: Vehicles are not allowed on playa, how do I drive to the camp ?

bruce_w
Camp Name: looking

Post by bruce_w » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Hey everyone!!! Looking to join you next week. I'm just sitting in my hotel in reno and had a break from work so I set up a fb page b/c it would probably be easier commenting on post and keep track of important info using their format http://www.facebook.com/hotelrug

everyone is welcome:)

bruce_w
Camp Name: looking

Post by bruce_w » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:01 pm

vishram wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote: Do not count on this. There is no iron-clad reliable way to get this information out once someone is on the playa. This is why there are multiple fallbacks to find on the playa. Relax--it's part of the adventure.
All set for the adventure!!

Question: Vehicles are not allowed on playa, how do I drive to the camp ?
So far the info I have says you CAN drive to your camp but you just cant drive around the playa.

Theraplst

Post by Theraplst » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:04 pm

vishram wrote: Question: Vehicles are not allowed on playa, how do I drive to the camp ?
You will be driving to your camp, then parking. The idea is that once you camp, you're not allowed to keep driving around. Remember the rules for driving in. 5 MPH. Seriously. don't get drunk til you're parked and camped etc.
They call me simba

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Don't open a beer until you park.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

twister5voy

Post by twister5voy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Hey there,
Virgin coming solo with a monkey hut, tent, and car. As long as it's not gonna be too far from the jots I'd like to join too. Will add myself to the spreadsheet when I get home.

Has anyone volunteered to make a sign? If not I'll throw something together.

burning.doc

Post by burning.doc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Hey big bunch of people

I like the idea of a whole bunch of people creating their own "theme" camp. I want to join you and have already signed in at the google docs page. How can I help you? What do you need? I will fly from Zuerich (Switzerland) to Reno in a few hours and I will get some goods there...there is some extra space in my rental car (I hope :-D).

greetings, bruning.doc

dankjockey

Post by dankjockey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 pm

I plan on bringing my DJ setup. I switched from vinyl to a controller and need more music. Feel free to bring music on a usb stick and il try mix some of your songs into the sets i plan on spinning.

I mix House glitch DnB Breaks pretty much anything with a solid bassline.

DJ
Camp copious

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Hey guys/gals,

Slight change in plans, I'll drop Therapist's water off and stop for a drink sometime Monday. It's gonna be an awesome burn and you all are going to have a f-ing blast!!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Theraplst

Post by Theraplst » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:59 pm

dankjockey wrote:I plan on bringing my DJ setup. I switched from vinyl to a controller and need more music. Feel free to bring music on a usb stick and il try mix some of your songs into the sets i plan on spinning.

I mix House glitch DnB Breaks pretty much anything with a solid bassline.

DJ
Camp copious

:D I know some songs I see potential in, I'll bring them up in FLAC if you want. or mp3. either way.
They call me simba

Popeye
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Hello everyone. I am a virgin travelling through Reno and arriving on the Playa by bus on Monday. this sounds like a great group and I would like to join. hope there is still room. tried to post on the spreadsheet but my tablet and google docs don't like each other.

PM me with questions or if there is anything I can bring in the limited space on the bus.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Baguba

Post by Baguba » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:50 am

Hello all,

I'm Baguba, this will be my second burn. After finding out about BM last year I bought a ticket the Sunday it started headed out and slept in the back of my truck. I brought all the wrong gifts (had wrappers or peels). But I brought a lot of cold beer and ended up hang with a cool family who gladly feed me real food and enjoyed cold beer. Which was nice after two days of crap dehydrated camping food. This year I am coming in a fully loaded RV and although some may look down on the RV come day three it is more envy than anything else. I think it would be cool to join an adhoc group. I am bring plenty of supply (beer, wine, alcohol) and misc supplies. I pick up my trailer at 1pm on Monday and then will load up my prestaged items and head out. I plan to us the rv awning staked down next to a 10'x10' shade structure staked and tied to roof rack of truck creating quite a bit of shade next to rv, only have three chairs but all are welcome to enjoy the shade and wind block. I can give a ride to someone in the Reno/sparks area if you are planning to leave later in the afternoon on Monday (please no drugs in my truck). I plan to head back Tentatively Sunday before the temple burn, but well see. I planned to go solo again this year with plenty to share, so this camp sounds good...if I can find it. It would be cool to have a few people I know on Tuesday when I turn 36!

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”