Questions about being a Village

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
tSmalls
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Neighborhood!

Questions about being a Village

Post by tSmalls » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 am

This is not necessarily a 2013 question, but I'm curious. How difficult is it to get placement as a village? Are these spaces highly sought after? Do you have to have several years of experience to be considered? Our camp had an amazing first year and we have two more camps with a few years of experience that want to join forces. I would really love to make this happen! Thanks y'all.
Meet me at The Roost

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Questions about being a Village

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:21 am

From what I understand, the village application is like the theme camp application on steroids. You can also submit the theme camp applications separately, as well as in the village application, the placers are bright enough to figure it out.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:48 am

Theme camps can ask to be placed next to each other.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:50 am

As AntiM said, individual camps can request to be neighbors. You can also try to register as a village, but remember that each of the camps needs to be doing something, preferably something interactive and participatory, and each year the bar gets set a little higher. There are lots of other factors, including how much space you're requesting, how many people will be camped within that space, the LNT plan(s), etc. There's no minimum number of years' experience that's required, but people who've successfully run placed camps do have the benefit of having demonstrated an ability to deliver on plans...and that's got to count for something.

Placed space in general is sought after. Each year for the last several years, there have been more camps and villages registering than there was space to place them, and unfortunately some camps are denied placement.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:38 am

Even Hushville was initially denied placement one year. :shock:

Return to “2013 Theme Camps”