Student needs access to computer w/ internet

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Ninja Nemo

Student needs access to computer w/ internet

Post by Ninja Nemo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi all. My wife needs to register for her school classes during the burn but obviously we don't plan to have a computer, internet, etc. and using smartphones isn't reliable. Does anyone know of a camp or group that could allow her to use a computer w/ internet for 15 minutes or so that week? I'm thinking maybe Media Mecca, although I don't have anyone's contact info or know where to start to reach them. Any help would be loved. Thanks!

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: Student needs access to computer w/ internet

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:24 pm

There's wifi in various places but it's a crapshoot.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Extensively discussed on ePlaya just search. Take the bus into Gerlach, bring your own laptop, plus you might find supplies there that would be nice mid-week.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 pm

This is how to bus into Gerlach mid-week. Hours are limited.
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... rvice.html

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors of WiFi near Center Camp way early in the morning (3am, 4am, something like that). I have no idea if that's true, and you would need to have your own device.

Media Mecca is unlikely to provide internet access so a person can register for classes. They are easily searchable from the keyword search on the main site, but I suspect they will say no.

If your wife has a sharp sibling or friend, she might be able to owe them a favor for registering for the classes she wants.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Some theme camps advertise having Wi-Fi available, like A Sack of Sit. I don't know how reliable it is, though. But I would recommend going through all of the theme camps registered so far and seeing which ones list Wi-Fi. Maybe contact the camps and see how reliable their connections are.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 am

Be radically self-reliant, and bring a computer and satellite gear to try your luck at getting a signal. Or be radically responsible, and don't be on the playa where service would be iffy at best. A smart and responsible person would avoid being on the playa if this is something that's crucial to them. Smartphones, sat-phones, satellite internet, and even what you think is a wired connection... are all potentially useless depending on weather, signal strength, and playa conditions.

Media mecca does not provide public internet access.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:32 pm

trilobyte wrote:Be radically self-reliant, and ...
In some ways, just having a "Shared Resources" section on Eplaya undercuts the purity of self-reliance.

Ninja Nemo

Post by Ninja Nemo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks for the somewhat helpful, somewhat snarky comments. We had already arranged with a friend to register for her as a contingency plan, but we figured we'd see what we could arranged ahead of time on playa. I didn't think about the Gerlach option, so thanks for that idea.

It's funny, as a somewhat newbie burner (2 years down, many to go), I find many of the veterans are eager to quote "radical self-reliance" but are the same who readily use their camp's meal plans and sleep in their comfy RV's, as if that exudes self-reliance.

See you all in the dust. :)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:05 pm

So, who in this thread camps in an RV?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:25 pm

I camp in a trailer.

But I remodeled it from the frame up. That puts me in some sort of limbo in-between ass-hat and douchebag.

How many people personally sewed the tent they live in at Burning Man?

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Ninja Nemo wrote:Thanks for the somewhat helpful, somewhat snarky comments. We had already arranged with a friend to register for her as a contingency plan, but we figured we'd see what we could arranged ahead of time on playa. I didn't think about the Gerlach option, so thanks for that idea.

It's funny, as a somewhat newbie burner (2 years down, many to go), I find many of the veterans are eager to quote "radical self-reliance" but are the same who readily use their camp's meal plans and sleep in their comfy RV's, as if that exudes self-reliance.

I'm able to last a week and a half in the desert with nothing but the ePlaya search function. It's worth a look.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:35 pm

portaplaya wrote:I camp in a trailer.

But I remodeled it from the frame up. That puts me in some sort of limbo in-between ass-hat and douchebag.

How many people personally sewed the tent they live in at Burning Man?
How many people personally drove the yaks across the wool to make the felt for their Burningman yurt?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:How many people personally drove the yaks across the wool to make the felt for their Burningman yurt?
Two.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Dear Ninja Nemo:

I guess I fall into the category of one of the people who you consider to not "exude" self-reliance. Although my camp does not have a meal plan other than what I prepare, I spend over two weeks on the playa helping get BRC ready for everybody else. Yes, I sleep in an old RV, and yes, I eat at the commissary the first week I'm there. Having attended for the last consecutive 15 years, I guess I may be a veteran.

I believe you may be incorrect in your judgment regarding self reliance as it pertains to how someone secures their meals or the shelter they choose on the playa. Self reliance means simply that you have planned for food and shelter and are able to provide for yourself and, if you are generous, others as well.

So, if you are going to look down your nose at someone because they are in an RV, you really don't get it and you are just being a new sort of snob.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Well, there is a tent/group camp vs. RV/caravan debate, but I don't think self-reliance is the central issue of that debate.

I think it is actually Immediacy. Hiding from the day's heat in your air conditioned box just doesn't bring you in contact with your neighbors in the same way. To some this is sufficient to "violate" this principle. I'm not sure that 100% immediacy is a necessary or even a good thing. But I am merely reframing the discussion away from "self-reliance". That one doesn't even make sense to use on RVers.

One reason I question this argument is that assuming that hiding from the heat is the behavior of someone who camps in an RV is a pretty big assumption.

And we all agree that those that spend the mornings or afternoons volunteering for the event are pretty much covered on Immediacy, Community and whatever other principles you might care to drag into this discussion.
Last edited by portaplaya on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:11 pm

I just have a problem with anybody that pulls out the old "burnier than thou" stuff to judge anybody else. Does it really make a big difference to you if someone hides in their RV for the entire event? OMG, "you're doing it wrong"! So who are the immediacy police?
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Mojojita wrote:I just have a problem with anybody that pulls out the old "burnier than thou" stuff to judge anybody else.
I edited the post to make it more clear that this is AN ARGUMENT, but not necessarily my argument. But I do think it has more traction than "RVers are not self reliant". I don't even understand the basis of that argument.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:23 pm

portaplaya wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:How many people personally drove the yaks across the wool to make the felt for their Burningman yurt?
Two.

I thought this was common knowledge.
See, I can see Danger Ranger doing this... But Dr. Megavolt--I've never been able to believe that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:27 pm

No one is self reliant in some bedrock sense of the phrase ... and who would want that?

It'd be a some overly individualistic event where no one could even offer 'gifts', etc.

It seems like the principles create blind spots for themselves sometimes.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm

48_love wrote:It seems like the principles create blind spots for themselves sometimes.
The principles have some areas where they potentially contradict each other. The art of being a burner is to balance those in your own way, ideally not interfering with the way that others balance their conflicts. Some times it just takes a more careful reading of the entire wording of each principle, rather than slapping people in the face with your interpretation of the title of each of the principles. (And really, when is any sort of real or figurative face-slapping productive?)
Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.
Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... iples.html

These are principles, not rules people. They do inspire a few actual rules at the event (like no vending or marketing), but I have yet to see the Rangers kick someone out for failing to "Radical Include" someone. Community members should be educating people on how to fit within the principles from their unique and interesting point of view, not shunning/shaming people. Besides, I think the principles are against that sort of negative response anyway...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:35 pm

No vending is actually a BLM thing.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Martiena
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Playa Info Camp 2016

Post by Martiena » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Postby Mojojita » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:11 pm
I just have a problem with anybody that pulls out the old "burnier than thou" stuff to judge anybody else. Does it really make a big difference to you if someone hides in their RV for the entire event? OMG, "you're doing it wrong"! So who are the immediacy police!
Mojojita

This will be my 3rd burn. My friend and I had planned to go together in 2011.
She was diagnosed with heart problems and spent that year getting healthy. She was unable to join me.
I went alone. Camped, and loved it!
This will be my friend's 2nd burn. She has only been able to attend because we have rented an R.V.
Keeping cool,and having a place to rest during the hottest hours is vital for her wellbeing.
I will reap the benefits of our situation.
We are both looking forward to volunteering with Playa information this year.

Unless you walk in another's shoes you are only making assumptions!
I figure it's O.K. to level the playing field using whatever assistive technology necessary.
People generally do the best they can with what they've got!
I am not speaking to anyone in particular, but I just had to respond.
Ya! No judgements and no immediacy police.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Having an RV is just plain wrong. Unless, of course, some fool invites me in, then I will turn this same passionate anti-RV energy to full support of RVs. This argument in me could be settled very easily. You decide!

Martiena
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Playa Info Camp 2016

Post by Martiena » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:28 am

Lonesomebri wrote:Having an RV is just plain wrong. Unless, of course, some fool invites me in, then I will turn this same passionate anti-RV energy to full support of RVs. This argument in me could be settled very easily. You decide!
Don't tell anyone, but I despise air conditioning.
I'm bringing my tent in case!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 am

Ninja Nemo wrote:Thanks for the somewhat helpful, somewhat snarky comments. We had already arranged with a friend to register for her as a contingency plan, but we figured we'd see what we could arranged ahead of time on playa. I didn't think about the Gerlach option, so thanks for that idea.

I'm actually surprised they didn't attack you outright. I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, the playa world is one place, and the default world is another. On the other hand, burners are a pretty crafty bunch, and where there's a will, there's a way to concoct some really amazing things whether it be art, imaginative parties, or technology suitable for extreme conditions.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:28 pm

My camper van's a/c doesn't work. Roof a/c or dash a/c. But it is a bit warmer at night when it needs to be, I'm off the ground which my knees like, and my fridge rocks. Oh, and it's a nice sound barrier. I don't need earplugs.

Oh yeah, and I own it. Would be stupid to leave it at home just to meet with someone else's view of what radically self reliant is.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Straightveg
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Straightveg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 pm

:idea: I think I finally get the silly "RV's aren't radically self reliant" argument. The gist of the issue isn't really self-reliance at all, its that some folks think RV's aren't radical enough.
Black Rock City or and Bust Dust!
torrey.smith wrote: As they say, make a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life. (Or was it a fish?)
-Sarge

Return to “2013 Share Resources”