Burner Express Bus Service To/From BRC

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
NikkiG
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Burner Express Bus Service To/From BRC

Postby NikkiG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:13 pm

I don't know about all of you, but I'm very excited about the Burner Express! This will be my first burn, and I wanted to find a way to get there and back without a bunch of confusion. As many of you may know from my previous posts, I'm leaving Reno 7pm Friday night. And although you advised me to take a car and to drive out earlier, ( Thursday night or 12 hours earlier) Should I still chance it and ride out at 12pm Friday with the Burner Express? Seeing that it has an express lane and all, I would think I would make it back faster than normal. I wish someone from the Burner Express (Busbank) would explain the exact size of the bags allowed. I also wish they would explain their exodus procedures. Like garbage drop off, and returning bikes for recycling, bus exchange in gerlach? ect. I sent them an email on Friday and I'm waiting to hear back from them. BE, If you are viewing this post, I would be highly appreciative if you could respond. Im looking to buy a round trip large haul ticket with a trip to savemart for food and a bike.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:10 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Not sure hoe to feel about a "special" lane for buses. :?

My first reaction too.
I don't like "special" on principle, but look at what it gets us, especially with an expanding population on a limited highway.

• Efficient, comfortable and safe high-passenger-density motor coaches get to Gerlach.
    Safer for all: with fewer cars/rental-cars on the highway with potentially unrested amateur drivers handling the hills, traffic and driving behavior in the towns they travel through.
    They can quickly unload and head back for more.
  • Higher density passenger shuttle buses go from Gerlach to the Playa instead of low passenger density cars/rental-cars. Less congestion from Gerlach to the Playa than it would have been.
  • *** All the bus passengers won't be in cars or rental cars tying up the regular lanes.*** Yes!!!
  • Bus dedicated Will Call
    *** Regular Will Call won't be getting surges of bus passengers tying them up.*** Yes!!!
    *** Gate flow is not tied up with bus traffic. *** Yes!!!
    (don't know about Greeters. Maybe we can have a special Bus Greaters "O.K., put all your Pop Tarts in here. Now, give me 50 laps around the bus! No one gets in until they've eaten two ounces of Playa dust to acclimatize their bodies.)
  • With their own reserved camping area.
    They have a place to stay while they scout around and possibly move later in the event, instead of them all getting dumped and feeling they have to immediately head out en-mass looking for a place to stay, and becoming a mass hazard to the incoming vehicular traffic.
  • Bus passengers will be arriving at BRC with a lot less stress than they would have had driving/renting a car.
    And with all the talking likely taking place, those that didn't read or understand the Survival Guide get a few hours in a captive share-fest where they can only pickup more understanding in a mix of Burners and Virgins.
This is all easier on them - and easier on the rest of us.

I don't like "special" or privileged, but it gets more highway vehicular traffic, and the worst of the bus traffic impact on playa lines, Will Call & Gate, the fuck out of my way through to BRC with the least impact.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Token wrote:Your first point on willing hands is well made and taken, despite the purely speculative nature on intent and execution of the consumers of the service.

There's a good chance I will need to use Burner Express in 2014.

I don't bring dangerous fire art, but I volunteer with 2 departments per Burn, and have for years.

So while I can't Burn your face off with my art, I can bandage you if someone else does. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:15 pm

yep.

if a campmate of mine hadnt offered me a ride i would be looking to use this service this year..

and if it's there, i would likely use it in 2014..

im a totally awesome multi department worker and frequent participator/performer in a certain theme camp of which i am surely an honorary member at this point.

(i dont have and fire shit to bring, or any big ass sculptures tho.. )
Don't link to anything here!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:23 pm

jkisha wrote:The only part of that I didn't understand is why would BMORG have asked them to stop selling tickets during the RFP period?

Note: this isn't from the Org, this is my personal guess.
Maybe because they didn't know if they would be approved, and therefore were basically selling tickets on spec. Since they ended up not getting approved, they were definitely selling on spec.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Another example: One of my friends who works his ass off for GPE almost daily (sometimes enough that I bitch at him) is currently trying to figure out his way to the Burn. Not everyone he could ride with has EA that he does (for training), so he's giving the Burner Express some thought. A tree fell on his car, so he can't drive it. This doesn't make him some asshole spectator.

It's already a challenge to get enough people for GPE. Exodus is particularly difficult to staff, and low staffing affects the speed of Exodus, which affects a majority of us.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Eric wrote:
jkisha wrote:The only part of that I didn't understand is why would BMORG have asked them to stop selling tickets during the RFP period?

Note: this isn't from the Org, this is my personal guess.
Maybe because they didn't know if they would be approved, and therefore were basically selling tickets on spec. Since they ended up not getting approved, they were definitely selling on spec.

Well, that would make sense if they were selling tickets as "an approved provider", and if that was what they were doing, then the action is understandable. But weren't they already just running the service independently of BM; and my assumption would have been that they just continued to sell those tickets. Not really important, as they haven't had the best of reviews anyway, I was just curious for curiosity's sake.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

NikkiG

A Burgin Adventure

Postby NikkiG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Yeah, Its me again! I took the Burner Express. I was on its very first bus leaving Reno on Sunday Noon, and its first bus leaving the event on Friday 12pm. The loading of the bus went pretty smoothly as well as the check in process. The only confusion we had was with the water. They stated that each 5 gallon jug would be counted as a large item!! Please keep this in mind when using them. Hopefully they will work out the kinks later on. Also there was no actual bus stop at 9&G (The Districkt). I panicked when I didn't see the shuttle bus at 9am Friday, so I walked it over to 6&G. When I got there, I was told that the shuttles run at 10am ...Whatever. I wish they would make an official bus stop with shuttle times posted. Anyway, the ride back was fast and comfy. My bus was halfway full with people. Most of us spent our time sleeping or looking out the windows. We made no stops for a connecting bus. We also made no stops to recycle bikes, trash or grey water..... I guess they forgot. We ended up at Reno Airport at ~3PM. I would definitely use them again. My bus mates were a joy to be around. The buses were well maintained luxury buses with efficient AC, the bathrooms and cabin were very clean also. When we were driving to BRC the driver played a Movie to bide our time. Many people stared out of the windows, slept, meditated, listened to their personal music players, made last minute phone calls or read literature. It was very quiet on the bus. It wasn't until we got to gerlach that things started to change.The greeters boarded our connecting bus, scanned our tickets, and welcomed us. The burgins were then given fireballs, and we were sent on our way to BRC! Party time! Beverages were handed out on the shuttle bus, the windows were lowered, and people started to change into their playafits. I think the coolest part was the confused look on everyones face as we passed them on the road SWEET! LATER SUCKERS hahahaha! What was even cooler was when we entered the event from a separate entrance from everyone else. We arrived at 6 &G at ~6pm Sunday. The shuttles then dropped us off at 3, 4:30, 7:30 and 9 along G . Overall, I enjoyed the trip. It was an inexpensive and comfortable way to get there.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Thank you for the review! I was definitely curious. :D

NikkiG

Postby NikkiG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:50 am

Thank you for inviting me to your camp. I didn't have a chance to thank you in person.... Maybe next year! :D

Theraplst
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Postby Theraplst » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 pm

I bought a ticket to and from and ended up not using the return ticket. (not because I didn't want to, service was great, just found a ride)

I left at 12:30 from the reno airport and we got on playa at 4:30 pm sunday. Would use again. I think next year they'll have the luggage situation better taken care of, perhaps larger luggage allowances. it was interesting packing for the burn in 3 storage bins, a backpack, 7 gallons of water and a bike. but yeah. was great.
They call me simba

NikkiG

Postby NikkiG » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Hey, you left after me, and made it there before me! I think you were on the Express Bus, no stop at Savemart. BTW, I forgot to say that when we did arrive at Savemart, the restriction on water was lifted or at least ignored. A lot of people were putting their water in duffel bags so it could be counted as one item. I on the other hand bought two 6 gallon boxs of water( six 1 gallon bottles in a box). I think they became lax because they had a lot of room in the moving truck. None of our luggage was packed on the buses. They put everything in a moving truck.

BTW, five 1 gallon jugs are cheaper than a 5 gallon jug...just saying. But they have a machine for you to fill your own jug.

Theraplst
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hotel Rug

Postby Theraplst » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:30 pm

NikkiG wrote:Hey, you left after me, and made it there before me! I think you were on the Express Bus, no stop at Savemart. BTW, I forgot to say that when we did arrive at Savemart, the restriction on water was lifted or at least ignored. A lot of people were putting their water in duffel bags so it could be counted as one item. I on the other hand bought two 6 gallon boxs of water( six 1 gallon bottles in a box). I think they became lax because they had a lot of room in the moving truck. None of our luggage was packed on the buses. They put everything in a moving truck.

BTW, five 1 gallon jugs are cheaper than a 5 gallon jug...just saying. But they have a machine for you to fill your own jug.

it's good to hear that the savemart shoppers got their water taken care of. Were they lax on the time spent there at all? Any straglers?
They call me simba

NikkiG

Postby NikkiG » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Good question. I think we were there 15-20 min longer than scheduled. From what I know, everyone made it back on the bus.

moosemousse
Burning Since: 2014

Postby moosemousse » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:51 am

As someone who has never been before, I'm quite excited by this bus service. I'm going to BM to enjoy the whole thing. I'm going to explore as much of BRC as I can and take part in as much as I can. I'm going to give out free hugs to everyone that wants one. I'm going to throw myself into as best I can. What does this bus service mean? It means that I can get there and that I'll have somewhere to put my tent. I'm going to BM to participate in it and this is the easiest way to do that. As for resisting the substitution of consumption for participatory experience, there would be no participatory experience without this 'consumption'. So in the end I think it's entirely justified for me to use the bus service, especially as I don't know anyone and won't have any other way to get there. It's also a great chance to meet people and make a few friends.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 am

Two of my campmates took the bus to BRC (one on Sunday evening, the other on Tuesday), both raved about it. In conversations with others throughout the week, I heard similar stories. A few hiccups or some confusion here and there, but overall a great experience and fantastic considering it was the first year. As kinks and bugs are worked out, it will only improve in subsequent years.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Had a gruff old Burner friend take it back to SF this year: he was expecting it to be "hell, with hippies", but said it actually turned into a really enjoyable ride, with everyone talking & sharing whiskey & keeping the Burn going back into the city.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

delle

Postby delle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Here's a picture of the back of the bus that arrived at 4:30 Sunday afternoon.

I think it's safe to say we were all pretty pleased with how it had gone.

If you recognize yourself in there, please let me know how your burn went. I remember ALL your stories (regardless of the fucking everclear), and think of you all fondly.

:D
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm

That PHOTO, Delle! Oh my God.

. . . Burners. :lol:

danwax

Postby danwax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Seems fun :D

I will fly from Quebec and take it in 2014

Can't wait!

delle

Postby delle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Hey! Welcome, Danwax!!

Where in Quebec are you from?

The regional decompression party (TaBURNak!) is on the horizon in Montreal. You really can't miss it!
PM me if you need info. (pas besoin que ce soit en anglais... laisse toi aller!!!)

Shel Silverstein

danwax

Postby danwax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 pm

delle wrote:Hey! Welcome, Danwax!!

Where in Quebec are you from?

The regional decompression party (TaBURNak!) is on the horizon in Montreal. You really can't miss it!
PM me if you need info. (pas besoin que ce soit en anglais... laisse toi aller!!!)

Jonquière City in Saguenay :D
2014 will be my first year!

delle

Postby delle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Jonquière!! Ouash!! That's a bit of a trot to Montréal!

Still worth well worth it though. Definitely.

We should talk.

Shel Silverstein

peyote2004
Burning Since: 2017

Postby peyote2004 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Delle .... Are you from Montreal? I'm from Ottawa. I'll be. Going to Burning man next year :D
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.

delle

Postby delle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Actually I'm between you and Danwax, Peyote. Quebec City area.

But you realize that you MUST GO to TaBURNak! now don't you. You being a mere hour or so away, even from a different province, you're the closest of us all!!!!

Shel Silverstein

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Zhust » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:22 am

Took the Burner Express and it went rather smoothly and was generally a good way to go.

Suggestions/Comments/Annoyances/Confusions:
  • Using Eventbrite to sell tickets was annoying and confusing. Thankfully it all worked out fine.
  • Had to go to the Reno airport to meet it. Seems like a downtown stop would make more sense. We took the Amtrak, and it arrives in Reno at a specific time once each day, so it would make sense to have a bus that would meet it. Also, for all the people who stayed in hotels, a downtown stop would make more sense.
  • Because of the tight restriction to small personal bags, we forgot to pack enough water for the hours-long trip on the bus. Duh ... should have thought of that.
  • The switchover in Gerlach going to Burning Man [Monday 2 p.m. express bus] was a clusterfuck. We got off the bus, were told we could buy water a block away, then someone else told us to get on a different bus, then someone else said that was for a different group of people so we had to get off, then we got on the original bus again. And we couldn't buy water.
  • It was a lot of panic and chatter to try and get the shuttles that drove through BRC. Signs would have helped. The way it ended up, we were on the same bus with the same driver the whole time (even though we got off and on a dozen times.)
  • Leaving BRC, it wasn't clear if the bus would pick us up at 9:00 & GDP or whether it would stop at points along G. Thankfully our camp had an art car which we took apart, so our campmates drove us to 6 & G in the naked fur golf cart. The bus left on-time.
  • People were dropped at the Reno airport. Luggage arrived later, but nobody told us where it would be. Pacing back and forth from drop-off to arrivals, we eventually got it way up at arrivals.
  • We had a hotel stay in Reno that night so again, the airport was not convenient.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

NikkiG

Postby NikkiG » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Many of the main hotels have free shuttles to and from the airport. Anyway, I informed the org about the bus stop situation, and the shuttle schedule not being posted. Hopefully they will fix that next year.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:08 pm

I hope that anyone with Feedback for the Burner Express send their words to BurningMan@busbank.com, an address I found at their website. (Burner Express is not run by Burning Man, although they contracted with Burning Man.) Ccing feedback@burningman.com couldn't hurt. (I don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt).

Popeye

Postby Popeye » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:17 am

I took the bus to and from TTID this year. The trip went amazingly well. The contractor obviously wants to continue the service and they bent over backwards to accomodate everyone. Plenty of room for all booked freight and water. The busses are comfortable. There did seem to be a lack of communication between Burning Man staff and the bus staff- the bus contractor had everything planned out and the hotel limo drivers knew what was going on but there was a lack of info at the airport. Everyone got where they where going though, just a minor glitch. I agree that posting the on-playa schedule would have helped.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

peyote2004
Burning Since: 2017

Postby peyote2004 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:03 am

I'm happy for the positive feedback Burner Express is getting, as I hope to use them next year.
--

Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.

Return to “2013 Share Resources”