Move Over Laws!

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Move Over Laws!

Post by Thecatman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 am

When traveling, remember that most states have enacted Move Over Laws.
The wording used in most states specify emergency vehicles such as police, highway patrol, fire, ambulance.
Here in Nevada, any vehicle stopped on a shoulder displaying red, blue or amber/yellow lights or any combination thereof, whether strobes, flashing or rotating is considered
an emergency vehicle. It includes tow truck, construction workers, highway maintenance workers, utility companies, even a motorist changing a flat tire.
In Texas the fines for failing to do so can be as high as $2,000. More if there is property damage and jail time if an injury occurs.
In Nevada, fines can be $395 and four points and is considered a misdemeanor as opposed to an infraction meaning an officer can take you to jail if he/she so desires.
Most motorists don't think the law covers construction, maintenance or utility workers.
Texas and Indiana are supposed to be the most strict states when enforcing this law, but why push your luck?

In Nevada, the same hold true for bicyclists. They must be given at least 3 feet of clearance. Duct tape a yard stick to your right side mirror.

I'm mentioning this because I work on I 80. Last year I stopped on the shoulder eastbound near Mustang, in a work truck with amber strobe lights activated. Someone heading to
the playa, I could tell by the way the vehicle was decorated and loaded, had ample room and opportunity to move to the left lane but chose not to.
I chose to wait in my truck until he passed which was about 30 seconds. He missed my left mirror by ABOUT 16 inches at over 50mph.
Please respect workers and motorists stopped along the highways.....for whatever the reason may be!
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

delle

Re: Move Over Laws!

Post by delle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:58 am

Thecatman wrote: In Nevada, the same hold true for bicyclists. They must be given at least 3 feet of clearance. Duct tape a yard stick to your right side mirror.
Is that for smacking them as you go by?
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Yeah! And remember to give each other 3 feet on the playa. :lol:

That would suck to get a ticket for that on the playa.

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 pm

In Or. it is the law.. Do not pass a bicycle in the same lane.. You are required to change lanes.. Most people don't care or know..

Three feet is damn close passing a bike.. At 40 my van could knock you down with the wind.

Or. has a strict Move Over law also..

Supafly_fresh
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: No Pictures, Please.

Post by Supafly_fresh » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:01 pm

I second this recommendation. The safety of personnel on the side of the road should be enough for everyone, however since it's always best to appeal to self interest rather than good will, not moving to the inside lane when it is feasible gives the police grounds to pull you over, and start the whole drug shakedown routine.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Move over laws! Anarchy is taking over! That's what I thought the subject meant.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:32 pm

actuallu Unjon. that is close. what it says is you have to move over far enuff so you don't run over the cyclist if s/he falls down when the vehicle is under 35mph

§ 811.065¹

Unsafe passing of person operating bicycle
• penalty

(1) A driver of a motor vehicle commits the offense of unsafe passing of a person operating a bicycle if the driver violates any of the following requirements:

(a) The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a safe distance means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the drivers lane of traffic. This paragraph does not apply to a driver operating a motor vehicle:

(A) In a lane that is separate from and adjacent to a designated bicycle lane;

(B) At a speed not greater than 35 miles per hour; or

(C) When the driver is passing a person operating a bicycle on the persons right side and the person operating the bicycle is turning left.

(b) The driver of a motor vehicle may drive to the left of the center of a roadway to pass a person operating a bicycle proceeding in the same direction only if the roadway to the left of the center is unobstructed for a sufficient distance to permit the driver to pass the person operating the bicycle safely and avoid interference with oncoming traffic. This paragraph does not authorize driving on the left side of the center of a roadway when prohibited under ORS 811.295 (Failure to drive on right), 811.300 (Failure to drive on right of approaching vehicle) or 811.310 (Crossing center line on two-way, four-lane road) to 811.325 (Failure to keep camper, trailer or truck in right lane).

(c) The driver of a motor vehicle that passes a person operating a bicycle shall return to an authorized lane of traffic as soon as practicable.

(2) Passing a person operating a bicycle in a no passing zone in violation of ORS 811.420 (Passing in no passing zone) constitutes prima facie evidence of commission of the offense described in this section, unsafe passing of a person operating a bicycle, if the passing results in injury to or the death of the person operating the bicycle.

(3) The offense described in this section, unsafe passing of a person operating a bicycle, is a Class B traffic violation. [2007 c.794 §2]
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:27 am

Bicycles

Motorists passing a bicycle must move into an adjacent lane to the left, if possible. If not, the motorist must pass with at least three feet of space between the vehicle and the bicycle. (NRS 484B.270)

Motorists may be charged with reckless driving if they are at-fault in any collision with a bicyclist or a pedestrian. Penalties include a driver license suspension. (NRS 484B.280)

Why some bicyclist insist on riding on narrow mountain roads is beyond me. I'm sure it's similar in Oregon but I'm gonna use Gieger Grade between Reno and Virginia City as an example since I drive it several times a month. Those who have driven know what I mean. Between the fog line and the guardrail in some areas there may be a foot, some areas have more. Bicyclist ride side by side, uphill at about 10mph on this narrow winding road with blind curves. About three years ago one was going down hill on the truck route between V.C. and Mound House (highway 50) at about 50mph. He was on a left curve and crossed into the uphill lane and met a Toyota pick up head on. He'll never do it again because he died at the scene.

Return to “2013 Share Resources”