Question about verifying voided ticket numbers...

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Patiencepie

Question about verifying voided ticket numbers...

Post by Patiencepie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Am I being naive in guessing that if someone is posting a ticket for sale on ePlaya, that it is pretty legitimate and that I do not really need to check it against all the ticket numbers listed in the voided tickets?
The list is gi-normous and it is suggested that you use the "find function in you browser" to check. I am not very computer savvy so what does that mean and /or how is this done?

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: Question about verifying voided ticket numbers...

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:37 pm

You should definitely check; it's not hard and could potentially save you some heartache.

In Firefox, you can pull up a small search box at the bottom of the browser by pressing control ("Ctrl") and the "F" key at the same time. Type the number you're looking for into the little box and hit enter to search. If found, it will be highlighted on the page. If the pattern is not found, the search box will turn reddish.

It should be similar in Internet Explorer.

Alternatively, you can use the menus at the top left of the browser. In one of the menus should be a "Find" option.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 pm

"Ctrl-F" should work in any Windows based computer, I cant tell you for sure on a Mac. But as scout said, open the menu at the top right of your browser and there should be a "Find" option.

Anybody who buys a ticket from someone they don't know and trust should verify their ticket isn't on the list.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:19 am

Here's the link to the list for others to use.
http://tickets2.burningman.com/info.php?i=4188

Note that I seem to recall reading somewhere that the list isn't necessarily complete. Just because a number isn't on the list now doesn't mean that it will pass the scan at Gate.
It is highly recommended that you know who you are buying from.
trilobyte wrote:
Below is a list of ticket numbers that have been voided. To check a confirmation code easily, use the find function in your web browser and type in the number you're checking on. Tickets listing these numbers are not valid for entry to Burning Man 2013 and will not work when scanned at the front gate of the event. Tickets can be canceled for various reasons, including (but not limited to) being reported as stolen and being sold at a price inflated above face value. Please note that just because a ticket number does not appear on this list does not guarantee its authenticity & validity.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 26&t=64097
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 29#p922320
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Patiencepie

Post by Patiencepie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi sorry to be a pain in the ass but I didn't understand any of the computer directions you gave me.

Here is the scenario: I will probably contact someone here on ePlaya to buy a ticket, I will have to drive to the Bay Area and the only way I can check the number is by pulling it up on my iPad (IF there is wifi wherever I am) or on my phone.

So I am meeting with someone to maybe buy their ticket, I pull out my iPad, then what do I do?

I don't personally know many people going (I have asked those I do know and no one in my small world has a ticket for sale). So I am looking here on ePlaya....

Also it is mentioned here that the list might not be complete so how do we deal with that?

Thank you!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Try to get the number in advance, so you can check the list before you drive anywhere. Not uncommon to provide a photo of the ticket showing such.
You'll have to learn how to do a "find" in your iPad's or phone's browser that you use to go to the link I provided.
Check your user manual or google that.

When you get to the physical ticket, make sure it's the same number they gave you that's you've checked. And you can redo your number check, in case it's been added since your first check before you burned gas to get there.

As to an incomplete list, or late additions to the list, that's why it's recommended that you buy from reliable people. As in, people you know. Or possibly people selling with a user-name with a good reputation that they wish to protect.
Search the threads on buying/selling tickets and then make your choice.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Patiencepie

Post by Patiencepie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Cool cool cool, thanks! When it comes to computers, math, and the news I usually tell people to "explain it to me like I'm a first grader.....!"
Much appreciated clarification!

Return to “2013 Tickets Discussion”