Playa Tested Greywater Evaporator

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
100 Proof
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Playa Tested Greywater Evaporator

Post by 100 Proof » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm

I know this thread is 6.2 million years old, but this is the design I brought last year and I thought I would post in the event someone could use the ideas. To give credit where credit is due, I have taken my inspiration from The CO’s MK VIIa2 Evaporator. I do have 465 Watts of solar panels on the roof to power everything, so if you are looking for something wind powered, this ain't it.

I don’t know the evap rate, but I never filled that bucket. I EASILY evaporated somewhere around 85 gallons over 12 days. Wife and I showered every other day. I had pool chlorinating tabs in the bucket and filter. No odor. The filter got us through a week, then I flipped it over for the next 5 days. There is a bilge pump float in the bottom of the bucket to turn off the pump. I also had a cheap Chinese controller that I set up to run 30 seconds on, 5 minutes off. I’ll add a couple more valves, but I was really happy with it.
20170824_085810 (600x800).jpg
I put the evap unit on the roof to be out of the wind and sun shadows. Kept hippies from peeing in it and emptying beer cans.
20170824_090351 (600x800).jpg
There is a drain in the tub that went back down to the bucket.
20170824_085810 (600x800).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:20 am

nice looking design and build. Thanks for sharing.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 am

Very nice. Great creative idea. Evaporating 85 gal. is very impressive. Good work.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm

"Kept hippies from peeing in it and emptying beer cans."

Kind of the same thing. A true hippie would never dump a beer that they mooched off someone else.

You had pretty good results considering it was a bit humid this year. Is there anything that just didn't work as well as you had hoped or anything you plan on changing for next time? I would consider using something like this and haul more water for showers without worrying about maxing out my greywater tank. 30 gallons goes remarkably fast when people sneak in to your bus & take showers.

BTW - When can I have my brown towel back? :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

100 Proof

Post by 100 Proof » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:39 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:"Is there anything that just didn't work as well as you had hoped or anything you plan on changing for next time? :D
This thing exceeded my expectations. Aside from higher humidity, we had less wind as well, although it was hot as fuck. The only thing I would change is the addition of 2 ball valves on either side of the filter to facilitate changing the filter.

didjeridude
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Tribal Spirit

Post by didjeridude » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:15 am

I'm designing a cascade evapotron and came across this thread which has great ideas. Someone mentioned above they just use a square or rectangle design which it a great idea actually because this allows the following modifications to increase total surface area:

1. use a 4x4ft square sheet of play for the top piece. Corner posts to keep the ply sheet level.
2. a series of vertical 4x4' sheets of evap pad material of choice zip tied to the wire mesh backing. Evenly space these say every 6-12". So for example a 4x4' cube would have 5x 4x4' squares "lengthway" + another 2x 4x4' squares for the sides = 112 sq.ft total surface area, versus only 63' for approximately the same ground area footprint using a circular design (nb: total surface area would increase to 176 sq.ft if the 4x4' vertical evap pads were spaced every 6" apart).
3. A generic floor standing household fan blowing air across the evap pad "lattice"
4. Drill lots of evenly spaced small holes in the top ply sheet above each evap pad sheet
5. Use a system of pvc pipes + T and elbow pieces to distribute water evenly across top of ply sheet.
6. Marine bilge pump as per usual
7. A valve + additional pvc pipe lower down to pump water directly into a bucket as a back up.
8. propane flame throwers set to auto-hippie detect mode to fry the fuck out of anyone who tries to piss in the pond

Everything packs down into a 4x4' square, and with the ply sheet on the bottom the whole lot could be lifted as a single package by 2 people at most for transport.

Any other mods that would improve on this please share!
We are made of star stuff

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Used this last year. (2017) Trash can sized bucket cooler. 8' radiator fan, two pumps, double thick evap pad. Evaps 2.5gals per hour in the heat of the day, 1 to 1.5 all other times.
IMAG2059a.jpg
IMAG2037.jpg
IMAG2040.jpg
The two tubing rings go on top of the pads obviously, not shown.

Used this 'Bin style' the year before. Same evap rates as the trash bin above. Uses the same pumps same double media, but two PC fans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Return to “Leave No Trace”